5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brightonian

The good thing (from our perspective) is that Wayne has the opportunity to prove his critics wrong each and every week, with a goal or two, one good performance or more. Cards on the table: my concerns about Rooney range from the perceivably silly and trivial (I wasn't best pleased by his removal of all United-related imagery from his Facebook page at the height of Wayne's problems with SAF) to the sensible and basically impersonal (concerns about his poor form's effect on the club's future progress); but...he can always silence my doubts - he surely has that within him still - and, as a United supporter, I'd be overjoyed if he shut me up. There are very few actual 'Rooney haters'; instead, there are many who, like me, just want Wayne to play in a way that befits his status at the club and in the press. We're not asking for the totally unreasonable, such as world-class performances every game, just a level above basic competence.
Excellent post. But I think there definitely are a handful on here who are basically pleased - even if they're not entirely conscious of it - when he's poor. Not because they hate him, but because they've spent a long time thinking and arguing that he's bad and have lost sight of the fact that it would surely be better for them if he proved them wrong with a run of excellent form than proving them right by playing poorly.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Funnily enough, despite my probable reputation as a Rooney hater, if I miss a game one of the first things I do when I come to the Caf is check this thread, in the hope that Wayne's played well. There's no joy at all (for a United fan) in being right if this negatively affects the club/team.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I can't stand the spud faced chancer but would still be delighted if he found his old form as that's a good thing for the club I love. I don't think he will though.

talking robot

I say let him retain his place for this match. If he's still poor, throw on Perreira or Herrera for him in the 60th minute, and if they take their chance let them keep their place in the next match.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Excellent post. But I think there definitely are a handful on here who are basically pleased - even if they're not entirely conscious of it - when he's poor. Not because they hate him, but because they've spent a long time thinking and arguing that he's bad and have lost sight of the fact that it would surely be better for them if he proved them wrong with a run of excellent form than proving them right by playing poorly.
They're not finding fault though. Rooney hasnt prooved them wrong so far.

Could make a case if he's starting to picking up form. But so far he hasnt. He's gone to a new low every gamr

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Personally I think he is done. When you consider all factors I don't think he will have another standout season again. May have the odd game here and there but even that seems like a reach these days.

Brightonian

They're not finding fault though. Rooney hasnt prooved them wrong so far.
I'm not just talking about this current slump, I'm talking in general. This handful of posters are generally happiest when he's in bad form.

Could make a case if he's starting to picking up form. But so far he hasnt. He's gone to a new low every gamr
That's not true. There's no denying he's been poor, but his last couple of games have probably been his best of the season so far. Yes, he missed that sitter against Wolfsburg but his general play was much better. And he's starting to show the odd good moment, like that excellent turn and counter attack against Sunderland. He looks much more comfortable behind Martial.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I don't think he has it in him to beat the club record

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
A couple of matches in cups vs crap sides and Martial crossing it onto his knee. I see opportunity.
How far off is he? 17 goals is a large number. . He will struggle to score another 10 this season and stay beyond this season.

NinjaFletch

How far off is he? 17 goals is a large number. . He will struggle to score another 10 this season and stay beyond this season.
Its 15.

Even if he continues to stay shite he'll get there some point next season you'd think.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If him beating that record somehow hastings his departure, them I'd be glad for him to do it this season. On the other side, it would mean he would score 20 goals this season. I can't imagine the club selling a captain that had just scored 20 goals.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Its 15.

Even if he continues to stay shite he'll get there some point next season you'd think.
If he stays yes eventually he'll get there.. but his only chance of easy goals is FA cup ties and the odd league game fluke. I can't see him scoring 15 this season.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Never really got the point/effect of these cliche, unwarranted, green smiley replies to an opinion/opinions.
Rooney has scored 20 or more goals in a season for us four times, to break the record this season he needs 15 goals I think? Which would put him on 20 for the season. Given he is currently on a dire run of form which he shows now signs of being ready to stop, you seriously think he will break the record this season? I think :lol: is a perfectly valid response.

I'd love him to do it, added to the goals martial is bringing and our solid defence it would make us strong title challengers but it ain't likely mate.

Roman Bellic

Prick
Rooney has scored 20 or more goals in a season for us four times, to break the record this season he needs 15 goals I think? Which would put him on 20 for the season. Given he is currently on a dire run of form which he shows now signs of being ready to stop, you seriously think he will break the record this season? I think :lol: is a perfectly valid response.

I'd love him to do it, added to the goals martial is bringing and our solid defence it would make us strong title challengers but it ain't likely mate.
Still doesn't make the response any less puerile. You are well within your rights to disagree with the prediction.

Roman Bellic

Prick
its not unreasonable to assume this. If we remain in all competitions, we have more than enough games. He is getting his form back. The goals will come.
Yeah. with 5 goals already as dross, any slight improvement from him and he will continue to increase his tally, especially with the quality around him.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
5 goals in 10 apps would actually suggest that, even as the worst player in the world, he is still capable of scoring goals. But, i guess anything to whip out the **** smileys.
We aren't going to play cannon foster like Brugge or Ipswich enough times this season for him to rack up the required goals

sunama

Baghdad Bob
We aren't going to play cannon foster like Brugge or Ipswich enough times this season for him to rack up the required goals
Rooney supporters keep bringing up those goals at Brugge.

That team was so bad, that the manager (the previous week) stated that they will not be able to win the match as most of their first teamers are injured. This was one of the first times that I've seen a manager capitulate, on TV, 1 week before the game.
I'd go so far as to say that that team which we faced in the 2nd leg, would struggle to beat a league 2 side.

In the Ipswich game, the manager put out a virtual B team, making 11 changes across the team. Indeed, Ipswich came under criticism for using such a weak side.

He did score in our last EPL game, but that was a ricochet which bounced off of his knee. He was in the right place at the right time, so I won't complain about that one.

Rooney cannot rely on lucky bounces or teams fielding their U21 or B teams. This is why I tend to look at EPL goals as the yardstick for a striker/goals. EPL matches rarely field B teams.
I believe Rooney has played in 6 EPL games, scored 1 goal. At his current scoring rate, he will finish with 6.33 goals for the season, which is abysmal, when you consider that Vardy (yes, the guy who was playing in the Conference a few years back) already has 7 goals to his name. Ighalo (who?) and Mahrez (who?) have 5.

As one of the highest paid footballers in the World. The Captain of MUFC. Undroppable. I expect far more than this.

PS: He probably will get the club scoring record this year, because we are going to be playing in all competitions and he will play in every game (undroppable). I also expect him to improve his form slightly.

Arsenal 3:0 Man Utd

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
What a performance by the Captain and our best paid player. Top 10 United leg-end.

Last edited:

Tyrion

Some of our players have gone invisible but Rooney has been worse. Passing poorly, movement is poor and he's been pushed off the ball which is bizarre.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
:lol: He's been so bad it's impossible. I fully expect his fans to gather around here and point out forward passes.

RedRover

He's had as bad a season as Ivanovic has for Chelsea.

Knee jerk to say he's finished, but he's doing himself no favours. He shouldn't be in the side. Simple as that.

Minimalist

To add to his recent poor performances, he now looks completely spineless out there at the minute. He's not a captain/leader. He's invisible.

El Zoido

He's unfathomably bad. We'd be better off playing with 10 men. How he has anyone left still defending him is beyond me.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
I am finished with Rooney. I usually take a cautious approach with my criticism as I believe a player can still find form if he has shown glimpse of quality in the past, but he looks finished. He needs to get dropped then sold. We would have been better if we had kept Januzaj, Welbeck or Kagawa.

Insanity

Most apt username 2015
Don't worry lads, he always takes time to come to his own. It's around the corner.

Status
Not open for further replies.