Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
We've seen this all before. Rooney drops into the midfield role, has a couple of good games, everyone says it's the reincarnation of Rooney. His form goes to pot and everyone clamour said for him to be moved higher up.
For our sakes hope his decent form continues.

the hea

Well, it's all relative. He's just about good enough to play well in midfield for a fifth place United team that have managed to scramble together a (somewhat fortunate) cup run. I mean, he isn't completely terrible.

But he isn't good enough to play in a United midfield that aspires to be one of the very best.
Rooney's been very good since Christmas and hadn't he been injured we'd be in a much better position in the league.

Smores

Had a few good moments but I thought he became a passenger for most of the game.

I can see him starting in midfield for England, might not be the worse option considering the other options.

togg

His first half was like going back a number of years. He works so hard for the team and never shirks effort even when it's not going quite right for him. He tired in the second half and that is understandable since he's been out injured for quite some time. He's older and will not be able to sustain his energy levels throughout a match when coming back from injury like he did when he was younger - especially on that Wembley pitch.

I get tired of Rooney knocking, he's given his whole footballing career to this club. No one has to like him as a person, but people surely can't argue with his eventual loyalty and influence he's had on this club.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I thought he had an acceptable game, really summed up by his desire to get back on the line and save the goal, we really do have to thank him for that.

Didn't effect the game too much apart from that, just kept the ball moving without ever really doing much.

Think it helped that he was against a slow and rubbish midfield in Gibson and McCarthy, they couldn't overpower or run passed him so he held his own.

Would be more worried against a proper midfield, but hey if it keeps the 3 of rashford lingard and martial upfront I'm happy with that.

Kag

Rooney's been very good since Christmas and hadn't he been injured we'd be in a much better position in the league.
Debatable. If Rooney was fit throughout that period then it's unlikely we would have seen any of Rashford. We'd be in a much worse position if it weren't for the latter.

the hea

Debatable. If Rooney was fit throughout that period then it's unlikely we would have seen any of Rashford. We'd be in a much worse position if it weren't for the latter.
That could very well be true also, but if we had the same starting line up vs West Brom as we had yesterday I think that game could have been won, and that is the game that I feel will come back and haunt us.

itso 7

His first half was like going back a number of years. He works so hard for the team and never shirks effort even when it's not going quite right for him. He tired in the second half and that is understandable since he's been out injured for quite some time. He's older and will not be able to sustain his energy levels throughout a match when coming back from injury like he did when he was younger - especially on that Wembley pitch.

I get tired of Rooney knocking, he's given his whole footballing career to this club. No one has to like him as a person, but people surely can't argue with his eventual loyalty and influence he's had on this club.
"given his whole football career to this club", give me a break! Like its been for free when its quite clear that we have had to pay through the nose for his 'loyalty'.

Chicharito_

We've seen this all before. Rooney drops into the midfield role, has a couple of good games, everyone says it's the reincarnation of Rooney. His form goes to pot and everyone clamour said for him to be moved higher up.
For our sakes hope his decent form continues.
Rooney playing in midfield with no real pace/movement in front of him is usually a disaster and all we really saw from him was a ping out wide last time he was there but with Rashford/Martial/Lingard interchanging and making runs in-behind I think/hope that this could actually work out well..

Gandalf Greyhame

If in doubt, follow your nose!
Scout
I thought he had a really good game.

First half was brilliant, as has already been pointed out. He was tracking back deep, covering the field, getting the ball forward and generally dictating the tempo very well. His passing looked good, and he was responsible for the ball easily getting into the final third quite a few times. That headed clearance when he saved a definite goal while clattering into the post himself highlighted his desire.

Second half, I felt he needed more support from Carrick when being put under pressure by the entire Everton midfield and attack. He was still doing well, but having another MF next to him who would offer the option and the energy would have helped him a lot. Instead he was closed down too often and kept out of the game. Last half an hour - he obviously looked knackered, and restricted himself to the deep playmaking role, just like Carrick. We needed Herrera much earlier, and in place of Carrick, IMO.

I think the rest of his contract might be in the midfield box-to-box role, and I wouldn't mind it. Just don't drop Rashford or Martial or Herrera to accomodate him in the 9 or 10.

facund

A good first half when Everton weren't really at the races. You can only beat what you have in front of you an Rooney picked some really nice passes and buzzed around to good effect.

Second half he had less impact and control of the game as Everton began exerting pressure on the ball, when they finally realised they were in F.A. Cup semi-final. We can put this down to tiredness and hopefully that's all it was but I'm sure we'll soon find out when we play Leicester next weekend (they will not extend the same first half welcome that Villa and Everton have).

If he could play regularly to the level he reached in the first half then I wouldn't be opposed to him being a regular in the role. I don't think he can but hopefully he can prove me wrong as that appears to be where he is going to play for the remainder of the season at least.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
sorry to be a party pooper, but the main issue with him being in midfield is a: when he inevitably has his mid season Sunday league spell, like pretty much every season, where he can't control a football or find a teammate five yards away for 4-6 weeks that is going to be a huge issue in midfield, whereas doing it upfront is nowhere near as fatal, and b: as long as lvg is in charge there is no chance of him being dropped during that spell.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
That could very well be true also, but if we had the same starting line up vs West Brom as we had yesterday I think that game could have been won, and that is the game that I feel will come back and haunt us.
West Brom and Sunderland = 6 points dropped against pure trash.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
I thought he was good yesterday. Created a magnificent chance for Lingard early on, who fluffed it.

Carrick must be dropped though, makes it extremely difficult for his partners.

RedStarUnited

Didnt think he had one bad touch or pass the whole game. Always made the right passing selection too. I have been one of his biggest haters this year but I thought he was real good yesterday.

dichinero

One look at this thread and you'd think that the last 2 seasons of an unimpressive Rooney or the second half yesterday didn't happen. It's been 3 good halves out of 6 and he's the best thing to happen to United.

jem

One look at this thread and you'd think that the last 2 seasons of an unimpressive Rooney or the second half yesterday didn't happen. It's been 3 good halves out of 6 and he's the best thing to happen to United.
One look at this post and you'd think that people were saying Rooney's the best thing to happen to United...

Man Utd 1:1 Leicester

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Rooney showing what he can do against sides that don't give him an age on the ball, very little.

Minimalist

Barely noticed him. Sort of a compliment really after that shit show in the first part of the season.

He sort of just floats about, dinks a pass here or there and presses a bit (but doesn't actually put his foot in). Not bad but clearly we could do with something better.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Rooney can play the ball to a player but he doesn't have the ability 9/10 to play it in behind a defensive line. He's basically a passenger and any diagonal is rarely that effective. There are exceptions now and then but you need it every game. Scholes could do it every game. Rooney can't.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Majestic, Awesome, Brilliant, Wonderful. Am I doing it right?
Yeah I guess:lol:

Seriously, I'm pissed off with this. Everyone and his dog knows his time is up and that he's way too inconsistent for this level. But no, LVG has shoe horn his ass into the team. Sick of it but nothing anyone can do about it. Fecking frustrating!

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
He's playing well like everyone else apart from Rojo so far... People will be people and criticize though

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Rooney can play the ball to a player but he doesn't have the ability 9/10 to play it in behind a defensive line. He's basically a passenger and any diagonal is rarely that effective. There are exceptions now and then but you need it every game. Scholes could do it every game. Rooney can't.
The club and LVG deserve every shit performance he serves up. Hope he cost LVG his job.

ZDwyr

He's been ok. But he is too vanilla in this midfield role IMO. Although he is like that in every role I guess.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Terrible. He has no brain to play in midfield at all, instead of playing it short and quick at times he chooses the long ball for no reason and totally slows down the attack, if that ball finds it's target at all. But few diagonals against terrible Aston Villa side are enough to make people think he is our best midfielder, amazing.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
Yep very solid game from Rooney, looks pretty sharp, passing in on point. It's obvious that against this midfield your gonna get the ball nicked off you abit but in general Rooney had been very good this game. It's honestly amazing how people can get pre conceived ideas about a player and let it cloud the reality of what actually happens on the pitch, the human brain ey.

dichinero

He's playing well like everyone else apart from Rojo so far... People will be people and criticize though
There was a time when the top players set the benchmark and standard for the rest of the team not try to match them. Standards eh?

Status
Not open for further replies.