Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
All I want is for him to be stripped of his special privelidges. No player should be able to serve up that disgraceful trash he did in the first half of the season and still start by default. If he's playing well, I see no reason why he shouldn't play.

Also, I don't think we'll be going in with the kids next season. Unless our ambitions are low.
Rash, fosu, CBJ, Lingard and Martial should all feature heavily next season

If that new manager is Jose and he doesn't look to progress them, many of our fears will have come true

Kag

Man of the match - Wayne Rooney

Wayne Rooney had one shot on target and created two chances but it was his control from a deep-lying role that allowed United to dictate the tempo of the match, especially in the first half

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/36060627
How can anybody seriously watch that game of football and not think that Martial was the best player on the field? Stunning.

Rooney was good, to be fair. A midfielder he'll never be, however.

nick2004

How can anybody seriously watch that game of football and not think that Martial was the best player on the field? Stunning.

Write to BBC please! They may want to hire you, who knows? They are paid good money!

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible

It's bizarre how he wins that.

He did fine, fizzled out of the game a bit but was very good in the first half, I thought. But overall, I think Martial, De Gea, Fellaini and Rashford were all ahead of him, in that order.

Walters_19_MuFc

I never get that comment. He played in midfield today, didn't he, and did a damn good job at it. Actually, he has done since he's been playing there in the last few games.

Kag

I never get that comment. He played in midfield today, didn't he, and did a damn good job at it. Actually, he has done since he's been playing there in the last few games.
Well, it's all relative. He's just about good enough to play well in midfield for a fifth place United team that have managed to scramble together a (somewhat fortunate) cup run. I mean, he isn't completely terrible.

But he isn't good enough to play in a United midfield that aspires to be one of the very best.

Art Vandelay

Well, it's all relative. He's just about good enough to play well in midfield for a fifth place United team that have managed to scramble together a (somewhat fortunate) cup run. I mean, he isn't completely terrible.

But he isn't good enough to play in a United midfield that aspires to be one of the very best.
Couldn't have said it better.

His leadership still worries me. During the 5-3 collapse to Leicester he was stood at the edge of our box screaming at a clearly very nervous Smalling and Blackett, which didn't appear to help matters. Screaming at people under stress rarely seems to help actually. Then tonight I noticed Danny Murphy was praising him for prolonged screaming at TFS after he had looked nervy in possession. It doesn't seem like it's going to help matters. I know it's only two incidents, but aggressive shouting at nervous kids seems like a bad idea to me.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.

Did you watch the match today? He was top class. Passes like Scholes.

Perrick Dubois

I think it was definitely overstated just how "bad" and how "finished" he was at the start of the season. The jury is still out because nobody has nailed down LVG's 9 properly and a whole season of it not working will probably indicate that adjustments will have to be made at a structural level, rather than a personnel level.

Glad to see him finding form at the right end of the season. Big game player and I still find it completely mental that people are deluding themselves into thinking he should be sold. I hope he carries this form through to the Euro's it will mean a much better finish in the league and possibly even an FA CUP!

Hammerfell

One of his best performances of the season (not difficult, I know), even if he did fade in the second half. He's still got it when he fancies it.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He was good today but I do think he was helped by Everton deciding to give every United player about 10 yards of space on the ball. I think we've all seen enough of Rooney in midfield before to know he's just not good enough to do anything there long-term for us. His touch and short-passing are nowhere near good enough and he gets a pass just for his ability to switch it out wide and his desire to play.

Livewire1974

If it moves, report it.
He was good, but tailed off in the second half. He plays one pass like Scholes, but then so can Jonjo Shelvey.
One? He missed 2 passes today. Our entire team tailed off in the second half, is that related to Rooney not being 100% fully fit after this layoff ? Dont forget his vital interception on our goal line in the first half either. He was everywhere. Contrast this with our other midfield options.

dichinero

His leadership still worries me. During the 5-3 collapse to Leicester he was stood at the edge of our box screaming at a clearly very nervous Smalling and Blackett, which didn't appear to help matters. Screaming at people under stress rarely seems to help actually. Then tonight I noticed Danny Murphy was praising him for prolonged screaming at TFS after he had looked nervy in possession. It doesn't seem like it's going to help matters. I know it's only two incidents, but aggressive shouting at nervous kids seems like a bad idea to me.
Unfortunately, people still hold a barbaric view on leadership on the pitch; by shouting and screaming at players and ref, red mists, hot tempers and what not. All you need is to look at the likes of Lahm, Pirlo, Xavi and hear what the younger players under them have said. The common denominator is not the shouting and barking but sensibly reiterating the match tactics and calming nerves of players when they stray out of line. I was miffed at him shouting at TFM myself, when the lad was nervous.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout

I don't have a strong opinion on this but you've basically invited half the posters to blast you with a Roy Keane nostalgia/worship/circlejerk,

Perrick Dubois

A very good thing that you don't have to be the recipient of one of his verbal on field roastings. You might just turn to cinders and float away on the breeze.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I didn't think he was that good.

He was pretty decent when Everton were sitting there letting him do whatever he wanted, but the number of times he ignored an effective pass to try one of his silly Scholes balls was annoying. If there's a simple pass on to someone in the middle in a good position, play the fecking pass, dont ignore it to try and be a flash prick...especially if you cock up your flash prick passes over 50% of the time.

Then in the second half he joined in the meltdown panic party with Blind and co.

Every time Rooney plays in midfield the commentators act like he's Pirlo or something just because he's not ejtirely awful at passing the ball. As if this is some massive shock.

Kag

One? He missed 2 passes today. Our entire team tailed off in the second half, is that related to Rooney not being 100% fully fit after this layoff ? Dont forget his vital interception on our goal line in the first half either. He was everywhere. Contrast this with our other midfield options.
I think it was related to his lack of legs, yes. Carrick and Fellaini had the same problem, in fairness The game was crying out for one of Herrera or Schneiderlin in the second half to help combat that.

Rooney doesn't pass like Scholes, really. He's not even close. He drills that ball out to the right but that's where it ends. Look, Rooney has had a couple of good games in this attacking midfield role, that's undeniable. But surely we've all seen enough in the past to know that he isn't the long term answer in this role? He's far too erratic.

Sylar

TBH Fergie saw this three years ago that he should be playing in midfield. Hes not a striker especially since he likes to drop deep soo many times meaning we have nobody up front (if he starts there).
His first half was his best performance ive seen in a long long time.

The problem for him is that he cant do it for 90 minutes if were going to be playing 2 or 3 times a week. We need to put him in a position where we use him sparingly, and if we use him as part of a three in midfield (which is the only place we should play him) it needs to be with more mobile players. I actually wouldnt mind him playing the deepest role of a midfield three, if our aim is to control matches or play on counter. That way he can do what he knows, playing the ball out wide, or the long ping that means others can break at pace.

Kag

Was before, but now seems to have a bit maturity about him. For me, he is better than anything else we have in the middle.
It's been two games. Palace were woeful and Everton are in dire straits. I prefer all of our other midfielders on the whole.

Tosicsleftpeg

Was impressive today, first half he was brilliant and made loads of good interceptions and tackles. Quite happy with him in midfield tbh he's a talented player just had no pace now.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
This will be his new role and for England as well.

You have to get on him when he is in that left pocket and this gives the speedy forwards more space to run into.

Art Vandelay

I don't have a strong opinion on this but you've basically invited half the posters to blast you with a Roy Keane nostalgia/worship/circlejerk,
Ha, yeah I figured that when I posted it. Keane taking that tactic too far when no longer being able to reach those standards himself was his eventual downfall. I loved Keane and there's obviously a place for screaming at people. I think Rooney actually needs someone to bollock him and a few other players could do with it too, my issue is with screaming at kids when they are already looking nervy. Maybe that's why he himself seems to lack the fire and drive these days, he just needs someone else to lead him.

Unfortunately, people still hold a barbaric view on leadership on the pitch; by shouting and screaming at players and ref, red mists, hot tempers and what not. All you need is to look at the likes of Lahm, Pirlo, Xavi and hear what the younger players under them have said. The common denominator is not the shouting and barking but sensibly reiterating the match tactics and calming nerves of players when they stray out of line. I was miffed at him shouting at TFM myself, when the lad was nervous.
Exactly. It's all a bit basic like the view that running around more makes you a better player and shows you care more even though you've ended up way out of position. There's going to be players that react well to being screamed at, but it's rarely going to be a teenager that's looking like he is struggling to cope with the pressure. Maybe he tried the calm words first, but I'm just going off what I saw/heard.

Scorpy

Absolutely crapping it and loving it!
Very good performance, he's made a difference in our midfield and there hasn't been a sign of the usual "I need 2-3 months to remind myself how to kick a ball" after his recovery.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
A decent game from him. 7/10 for me. All our midfield looked OK today. Has to be said that Everton's midfield contained two absolute passanger midfielders in Gibson and Cleverley, but Rooney looked quite sharp.

RRCE

Rooney was good today. That said, when Everton had their tails up and were taking it to us in the second half, I thought that he (and Carrick) needed to do more to get things back under control. I can certainly see Rooney playing in this position moving forward. Van Gaal, Mourinho, Giggs...whoever is in charge next season...must surely see that he can't lead the line anymore. I wonder, though, how well he'd do against a team with a quality midfield. Everton wasn't the toughest test in that regard.

Rooney isn't going anywhere, I don't think, so the team will need to figure out how best to use him. This may well be it.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
A decent game from him. 7/10 for me. All our midfield looked OK today. Has to be said that Everton's midfield contained two absolute passanger midfielders in Gibson and Cleverley, but Rooney looked quite sharp.
I thought Gibson was terrible but Cleverley was much better - as well as any of our mids.

KikiDaKats

Supports
His Liverpool supporting wife
Had a brilliant first half but the lose of control coincided with him looking knackered and trying to slow the game down, when better option was releasing the ball quickly into the opposition half. It could helped evade the high press and rough challenges.
I like him with possession in this role but defensively he is lacking.. His posture when defending doesn't block the space, instead opens it up for the opposition. Not sure it'll be a hindrance going forward as long as he has an able partner.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Haven't read the above comments but I thought Rooney did well today. Played some gorgeous passes in the first half. To come back from injury to that is a pretty decent, especially against a team he is usually shit against.

Devil may care

It was interesting that today he ended up being deeper than Fellaini in the midfield 3, and even against Palace Mata was the AM and Rooney was the slightly deeper of the 2. If this is going to be the way he squeezes another season or two out of his career then I hope we get some legs in there with him in the summer and a proper AM to play the slightly advanced role.

Perrick Dubois

Haven't read the above comments but I thought Rooney did well today. Played some gorgeous passes in the first half. To come back from injury to that is a pretty decent, especially against a team he is usually shit against.
Comms said he missed 12 games, he's come back at a very high level in my opinion. Which bodes well for us and for England at the Euro's.

Status
Not open for further replies.