5.6 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
I still can't get over this...

Almen Abdi
I had to Google who he even is. 547 minutes for Watford in the league so far this season. 1 goal but 0 assists this season.

Patrick van Aanholt
Plays for (and has been destroyed as a defender playing for) Sunderland. One of the worst starts in the Premier League ever. Decent player on his day but if it hasn't sunk in already, let me repeat it. He. Is. A. Defender. For. Sunderland.

Ahmed Elmohamady
Isn't even in the league this season. His time was playing as a right back for Hull as they got relegated last season. 10 games including Chelsea, Liverpool, Arsenal and us at home with Spurs and Southampton away. And he STILL created more chances than Wayne Rooney as a striker for United.

Charlie Adam
Has scored more than Wayne Rooney in the Premier League since the beginning of March. FFS.
What a load of nonsense, if you looked at his forward passes stats you'd see that he's world class player!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
That's why i said partly. I'm not excusing him at all because i do agree his ability to play in general is coming to the point where we question that can he play at the highest level week in & week out. What i'm saying is when you see players like Totti, Raul, Giggs etc who lost alot of pace in their game, they adapt their playing style differently to accommodate for the team and also work there arse off to keep playing for that team until the point where they can no longer play. This is where i think being captain and receiving special privileges is not doing any favors for Rooney. Why?

How i see it Rooney is not working hard enough. You probably seeing Memphis working his balls off to get back into starting line up and to prove the manager he is the future but Rooney... he's chilling, not working extra training on his touches, not working extra training on his passing, not doing much target practice etc and full well knows he's going to start next game anyways. I'm not saying that's what's happening because he maybe is but how i see Rooney on the pitch, i dont see effort in him anymore. With his experience his touch should be cool as ice and the passing should be as accurate but instead he looks like a donkey playing football. Which makes me think with all these privileges he's getting is causing him to be too relaxed, not threatened in terms of his position within the squad and doesn't make an effort to work on the part of his game which is causing him problems etc is partly causing his performance on the pitch to be so poor. Obviously numberous thing also in play that also causing Rooney play this poor like the different style of play, new players, his ability play in general etc. But the captain armband in my opinon is poorly worn and it should go to someone who deserves to be on that pitch week in & week out, has leadership qualities and has experience under his belt.
This is a very good post. Fully agreed.

The thing is I've noticed for several seasons that Rooney does not perform when he's too 'comfortable'. He becomes complacent - not deliberately imo - but it just happens. It's like he switches off once he doesn't have to fight for something anymore. It's just a part of his psychology.
What surprises me is that no one at the club seems to recognise this - it's so obvious. Giggs I don't believe has the know-how to recognise these things, but I would have thought someone else at the club would be able to better advise LVG?

For sure though, these 'privileges' aren't helping him.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
This is a very good post. Fully agreed.

The thing is I've noticed for several seasons that Rooney does not perform when he's too 'comfortable'. He becomes complacent - not deliberately imo - but it just happens. It's like he switches off once he doesn't have to fight for something anymore. It's just a part of his psychology.
What surprises me is that no one at the club seems to recognise this - it's so obvious. Giggs I don't believe has the know-how to recognise these things, but I would have thought someone else at the club would be able to better advise LVG?

For sure though, these 'privileges' aren't helping him.
I think the opposite. He looks to me like someone who is struggling to come to terms with his diminishing powers. He plays devoid of confidence, doubting the ability he still has, and as though he really isn't sure of his role anymore. Part of what made him a top footballer was his arrogance but that has ebbed away now.

The one thing you cannot level at Rooney is a perceived lack of effort. If anything he tries too hard to overcompensate for his failings.;

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
I think LVG is wary of killing Rooney too early, he is almost making him force him out the team, so that he doesn't lose the dressing room. We've seen at Liverpool what can happen when you kill a "legend" too quickly, or Chelsea with Lampard. Rooney is clearly a favourite in the dressing room, and that's something we don't want too disrupt. The fact is though he is just not doing it on the pitch, and sooner or later it will become inevitable that he has to be dropped.

When asked recently, LVG said it was up to the press to write what they thought. I think that was almost coded in a sense that "I know he's playing poorly, but I can't drop him until the world universally agrees". Now that the press are actually getting on his back, he will have the ammo to support the decision.

Either that or he will play him forever and ever.

Jazz

I think the opposite. He looks to me like someone who is struggling to come to terms with his diminishing powers. He plays devoid of confidence, doubting the ability he still has, and as though he really isn't sure of his role anymore. Part of what made him a top footballer was his arrogance but that has ebbed away now.

The one thing you cannot level at Rooney is a perceived lack of effort. If anything he tries too hard to overcompensate for his failings.;
I think I wasn't too clear. I don't doubt his effort - I just noticed that he has a sort of combative or 'Ill prove you wrong' sort of personality - and that's when you tend to see the best of him. Not having to prove himself means he becomes 'unconsciously complacent'. Once you've achieved everything in the game you need more motivation than ever to carry on delivering the same standards, and I think not fighting for his place is preventing him from having the 'right' motivation.

drdoityourself

I'd like to know what kind of material he is serving up in the dressing room, that is so good that it could make the players take the news of his dropping with discontent.
Surely it's worse for morale to see a player who obviously isn't up to the standard on the pitch, getting guaranteed 90 mins every time we play. And whilst doing nothing on the pitch collecting more money than the rest.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I think I wasn't too clear. I don't doubt his effort - I just noticed that he has a sort of combative or 'Ill prove you wrong' sort of personality - and that's when you tend to see the best of him. Not having to prove himself means he becomes 'unconsciously complacent'. Once you've achieved everything in the game you need more motivation than ever to carry on delivering the same standards, and I think not fighting for his place is preventing him from having the 'right' motivation.
Yep I see what you mean. I'm sure he's not as driven as he once was. A seriously rich, family man, in his 30s now and one who has been at the top of the game for a considerable length of time is unlikely to have the same hunger and focus as his 21yo self. Add that to his diminishing physical powers and you've got what we see now ie slow, laboured play, poor touch, bad decision making, risk averse etc etc

Perhaps being dropped will light a spark in him but I don't think so and we can't afford to let a declining Rooney hold us back now.

clarkydaz

nail on head. Perfect

Jazz

Yep I see what you mean. I'm sure he's not as driven as he once was. A seriously rich, family man, in his 30s now and one who has been at the top of the game for a considerable length of time is unlikely to have the same hunger and focus as his 21yo self. Add that to his diminishing physical powers and you've got what we see now ie slow, laboured play, poor touch, bad decision making, risk averse etc etc

Perhaps being dropped will light a spark in him but I don't think so and we can't afford to let a declining Rooney hold us back now.
Yeah I agree. In the past, being dropped would have lit a flame under him, but I am also coming to the conclusion that we're way past that now. Big problem if you lose some of your hunger at the top level.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Why did he take the captain's armband off Carrick? That is a very Steven Gerrard thing to do.

Never saw Roy Keane, Giggs, Neville, Bruce or Vidic do that. I don't like it either

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's just horrible. Completely and utterly Falcao'd without the injury excuse.

Suedesi

He plays without any authority or drive. He's just too comfortable. Should have been sold 3 years ago.

Oh, the LRBR crowd can feck off.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Lost the physical part of his game, 14 years playing non stop was bound to catch up on him.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
He plays without any authority or drive. He's just too comfortable. Should have been sold 3 years ago.

That's the worst thing. He came on at half time and has just bimbled about at 2mph. He's not stretched the centre backs once.

Art Vandelay

The what crowd?

He's at least looked like he can control a ball tonight. Offering no danger, but at least it's not bouncing off him 90% of the time.

Eddy_JukeZ

Even coming on fresh vs somewhat tired defenders, he looks off the pace.

He's NOT out of form. He's just not that good anymore. Like Falcao last season. He is done at the top level. It's sad to watch him play nowadays.

Ludens the Red

This is becoming disgraceful, like the club should seriously start looking into fining him wages. This isn't acceptable.

Suedesi

The what crowd?

He's at least looked like he can control a ball tonight. Offering no danger, but at least it's not bouncing off him 90% of the time.
Let Rooney be Rooney. Apparently Fergie was shackling him, if SAF just let him be, Rooney would play better than Messi and Ronaldo combined.

Art Vandelay

Let Rooney be Rooney. Apparently Fergie was shackling him, if SAF just let him be, Rooney would play better than Messi and Ronaldo combined.
Ah. I thought that's what it might stand for, but figured there can't be enough people that stupid for it to be an actual thing. Pity he didn't shackle his wrists to stop him signing that damn contract.

He now has gone back to stinking up the midfield while Fellaini has gone up front by the look of things.

pacifictheme

This is becoming disgraceful, like the club should seriously start looking into fining him wages. This isn't acceptable.
You can't fine someone for being crap.

Nice little 1 2 with fellaini there. Thought he was going to smash it left footed into the crowd.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I wish he would just go away and never come back.

I'm actually starting to really dislike him now too, He just needs to accept he's done as a top level footballer and feck off. The club as a whole needs to get its act together, Brendan rodgers had the balls to force out a liverpool club legend in Gerrard so why can't we and he was loved by all liverpools fans.

The vast majority of United fans couldn't careless about rooney now so what is stopping them from doing the same.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
One touch on the counter brings 6 defenders back goal side of our attack.

Golfclap.

Art Vandelay

I wish he would just go away and never come back.

I'm actually starting to really dislike him now too, He just needs to accept he's done as a top level footballer and feck off. The club a a whole needs to get its act together, Brendan rodgers had the balls to force out a liverpoolclub legend in Gerrard so why can't we.
Gerrard was in the last year of his contract. Our situation with Rooney is...different.

dirkey

I've defended Rooney enough in the past, wanting to give him the benefit of the doubt, but he really needs to be dropped, and left out. Why the hell was he brought on today? Honest to God. Useless. Absolutely useless performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.