Kick-off
Mon, 20 October 2014 @ 8:00pm BST
Status

Closed

Discussion Live Updates 49 Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

redsunited

I know Rooney is out, but do you honestly think LvG would bench Rooney and RvP just so Januzaj can start ?
    I think you misunderstood my point. Obviously Januzaj wont start when RVP, Rooney, Falcao, Mata and Di Maria are available. I said Januzaj has to start for this game as he already lacking mins and more likely wont start for the next matches vs Chelsea and City(which are big games).

Raoul

Admin
    Staff
    I think you misunderstood my point. Obviously Januzaj wont start when RVP, Rooney, Falcao, Mata and Di Maria are available. I said Januzaj has to start for this game as he already lacking mins and more likely wont start for the next matches vs Chelsea and City(which are big games).
    Yeah i see your point. If he does start, this would be a good time for him to do so.

ElectroManiac

Would be a great lineup IMO. Januzaj can drift wide and turn it into a 4-3-3 at times when Di Maria also goes wide on the other side. There's a chance to see it too, given RvP's form (or lack of it) and having played 2 games for the national team, and not performing in either. Mata will definitely play given he didn't have international duty, the only concern is whether Herrera will be in the side or not risked because of Chelsea. Having a fully fit defence gives me a lot more confidence though.
    Yeah I think you can accommodate that to 433 if you want, but I just think that Di Maria play better where he is playing now, coming from the midfield with his fast runs. Januzaj can play on the right, go to the wing or inside as a second striker. I think he can do that really well. He already play like that on a U21 game recently where he score a hattrick.

I know Rooney is out, but do you honestly think LvG would bench Rooney and RvP just so Januzaj can start ?

I think he can rest RVP on this game as he have play 2 international games and he is the one with the less form. I can see RVP coming in the second half for Falcao.

Dazzmondo

Final Predicted Line-up (this time for realzies):

1. De Gea

2. Rafael 4. Jones 5. Rojo 3. Shaw

17. Blind
    31. Fellaini 7. Di Maria
    8. Mata

11. Januzaj 9. Falcao

Bench:
    13. Lindegaard, 12. Smalling, 42. Blackett, 16. Carrick, 21. Herrera, 20. Van Persie, 49. Wilson

Prediction:
    West Brom 0-4 (Falcao X3, Januzaj)
    I think the first 10 mins will be tough and West Brom will display a lot of energy. I see us scoring around the 15th minute. I have a feeling Falcao and Januzaj (basing his start off agent's comments) will run West Brom's defence riot with their movement (an area in which RvP is lacking). Di Maria to get at least 2 of the assists. RvP and Herrera will only come on if necessary; otherwise, Carrick and Wilson will come on. In truth, I could see us scoring more; just have a feeling it will be one of those games. Btw, I think West Brom are a good team who are punching above their weight; they'll give it a good effort until they realise it's a lost cause.

Listar

We have to win tonight. Can't bear the thought of being beneath Liverpool for a week. One year was punishing enough.

Dafydd

This game has been so long coming.

Dropping Van Persie and playing Januzaj would be the height of stupidity.

Sean_RedDevil

Twitter bot
    My team for tomorrow!!!!

If Valencia, Evans, Lingard & McNair are out

Starting XI: De Gea - Rafael, Jones, Rojo, Shaw - Pereira, Blind; Januzaj, Mata, Di Maria - Van Persie

Bench: Lindegaard, Smalling, Blackett, Carrick, Herrera, Falcao, Wilson

- I would put Falcao on the bench after his long trip to North America and it would mean finally a start for Januzaj

- Carrick will/should not start (Maybe 10-20 minutes) and to risk Herrera in a corset is also a risk (Van Gaal & Co. know better than me but i hope we don't need him tomorrow so he can recover another few days from his rib injury)....yeah so i would start Pereira in CM and would 100% trust him to do a solid/good job

- If one of Carrick or Herrera can't make the bench then i would rather have W.Keane or James on the bench than Fletcher, Fellaini, Young or Anderson (I really hope all four are leaving Old Trafford in January)

Dazzmondo

This game has been so long coming.

Dropping Van Persie and playing Januzaj would be the height of stupidity.
    Why? We still have Falcao as a goal threat. Januzaj will offer more movement and be able to run at the West Brom defence. RvP hasn't been offering a great deal this season anyway and he'll be fatigued after playing 180 mins for the Netherlands last week. Saying it would be the "height of stupidity" is definitely an overstatement.

Dafydd

Why? We still have Falcao as a goal threat. Januzaj will offer more movement and be able to run at the West Brom defence. RvP hasn't been offering a great deal this season anyway and he'll be fatigued after playing 180 mins for the Netherlands last week. Saying it would be the "height of stupidity" is definitely an overstatement.
    RVP has been fine this season not sure which games you have been watching.

Januzaj falls into the category of players that fans over rate. He's good player not a great player.

Dazzmondo

RVP has been fine this season not sure which games you have been watching.

Januzaj falls into the category of players that fans over rate. He's good player not a great player.
    RvP has been okay. Definitely hasn't come close to the form he displayed in Ferguson's last season. Not contributing much tbh, a couple of goals (one of which was actually going to be saved before a deflection put it in) isn't enough for a player of his talent. Frankly, I'm not sure how you could claim otherwise.

As for Januzaj, he's 19, the fact that you're saying people overrate him and that he's good, not great is pretty silly. Sterling has risen up a level this season due to the playing time he's getting. Last season, he and Januzaj were pretty similar in terms of their talent and performances. Also, Adnan's clearly way too good for the U21s and, seeing him walk through games, it's pretty obvious that it's not really doing him any good. He needs playing time to progress into a great player or he'll leave and people will talk about him in a similar way to that which people talk about Pogba right now.

jem

RvP has been okay. Definitely hasn't come close to the form he displayed in Ferguson's last season. Not contributing much tbh, a couple of goals (one of which was actually going to be saved before a deflection put it in) isn't enough for a player of his talent. Frankly, I'm not sure how you could claim otherwise.

As for Januzaj, he's 19, the fact that you're saying people overrate him and that he's good, not great is pretty silly. Sterling has risen up a level this season due to the playing time he's getting. Last season, he and Januzaj were pretty similar in terms of their talent and performances. Also, Adnan's clearly way too good for the U21s and, seeing him walk through games, it's pretty obvious that it's not really doing him any good. He needs playing time to progress into a great player or he'll leave and people will talk about him in a similar way to that which people talk about Pogba right now.
    I agree with your point about RVP, but I'm not sure I agree with this idea (which I've heard before,) that his header was going to be saved and/or was somehow a lucky goal. He headed it back across goal (a wise choice IMO) and with the keeper's having positioned himself towards the near post, I actually don't think it's a stretch to imagine RVP's header tucking in off the far post (or perhaps flying over Schmeichel's right shoulder, rather than his left, which is what actually happened due to the deflection.)

In any event, I'm not quite sure why that goal is almost held against RVP, when as far as I can tell, he did nothing wrong on the header.

Bwuk

Agreed we should rest RvP. He'll be starting against Chelsea, and Falcao needs game time to get used to us still. Mata didn't get called up so he's a cert to start as the #10.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
    Has the travelling squad been announced yet?

Chuckazulu

It's finally matchday, It's been too long. Same lineup as the last game against Everton wouldn't hurt with changes for Mcnair and Valencia. Jones and Carrick/Herrera (if match fit) will do but i have a feeling that Fellaini will start this one. I just hope he will do a good job.

In an ideal situation Pereira would start but i highly doubt that's going to happen. I hope he gets a bit of game time though.

Let's kill this game before the 70th min and give a few young lads a chance. It's always better that way

poisson

broken record, best ignored.
    I'm a little bit nervous about this match. We've not won a single away game yet this season and with our penchant for capitulation whenever an oppisition team scores against us, this will not be an easy match!! But its a must win especially with Chelsea, city and arse coming up.

VanGaalEra

We know LVG likes balance in his squad so will he start with 2 left footed CB's (Blackett alongside Rojo) or will he risk Smalling or Jones?

tulipanes

I think we're very lucky to play on monday this week. Players like Di Maria and Rojo came back from an exhausting international duty and have more time to recover. We play against a pretty weak WBA-side too. But dispite of all these things, I don't think this will be a guaranteed win. The game against Leicester in mind, we are not in the position to underestimate any kind of opponent.
    I hope we will play this:

1. De Gea

2. Rafael 4. Jones 5. Rojo 3. Shaw

17. Blind
    11. Januzaj 7. Di Maria
    8. Mata

20. Van Persie 9. Falcao

Galactic

Incorrigible pest
    It is an away game. We need to get hold of the midfield first and foremost. I can see a Blind-Fletcher centre midfield. We'll play Falcao as only striker. RVP to come in to partner him if we needed a goal or two in the last half an hour.

Rafael..Jones..Rojo...Shaw
    ......... Blind.....Fletcher.......
    Di Maria....Mata......Januzaj
    ..................Falcao...............

I think this wont be a defensive lineup. The three attacking midfielders will provide good offensive ammunition.

Dunk

Body language expert
    We need a leader in the team if things go wrong. Who will hold the team together, Falcao? Herrera should play!

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
    --------------------------De Gea---------------------------
    Rafael--------------Jones------Rojo-----------------Shaw
    ---------------------------Blind----------------------------
    -----------------Herrera---------Di Maria-----------------
    --------------------------Mata/Adnan----------------------
    ---------------------Falcao------RVP----------------------

Crackers

greasy ginfers
    We need a leader in the team if things go wrong. Who will hold the team together, Falcao? Herrera should play!
    I think Jones could be a leader if told to step up. I've seen him lead the defenders before, I think he'd be well able to lead the team.

BootsyCollins

Hope to see :
    --------------------DeGea-------------------
    Rafael--------Jones----Rojo-----------Shaw
    ------------------Blind----------------------
    ---------Herrera-------Carrick-------------
    Januzaj----------------------------Di Maria
    -----------------Falcao---------------------

I am pretty sure Carrick not going to start so we will probably not see that formation, but i think it would work well agains WBA.

eltel74

Tbh every game atm is a big game. We only get 3 points for beating chelsea and city as we do for beating wba tonight.

Bwuk

De Gea
    Rafael - Jones - Rojo - Shaw
    Carrick
    Herrera - AdM
    Mata
    Falcao - Januzaj​

Give Januzaj some minutes, and Carrick some game time before Chelsea next week.

ryan cook

Such a long wait but it's arrived. I would love to see a back four of
    Rafael Jones Rojo/Blackett Shaw.
    That's our best back line imo and i hope it gets settled because it has huge potential.

Smores

Think we need to start Carrick so he can get up to speed for our run of tough fixtures.

Their full backs aren't great, id go 4231 with Blind and Carrick central and Di Maria Adnan wide

jeff_goldblum

With Van Persie not playing great and Rooney out this is probably the best oppurtunity we'll have to switch to a one striker formation with Mata as a proper #10.

--------------De Gea--------------
    Rafael----Jones----Rojo----Shaw
    ---------Carrick----Blind---------
    Januzaj-------Mata--------Di Maria
    --------------Falcao-----------------

also possible to play it slightly more lopsided in order to keep Di Maria in his current position

------------Blind/Carrick---------
    ------Herrera----------Di Maria--
    Januzaj-------Mata--------------
    --------------Falcao-------------

Januzaj keeping width and Di Maria starting deeper but pushing into that wide left area as he's done in previous games.

Adebesi

Rafael Jones Rojo Shaw
    Blind
    Herrera* ____Di Maria
    Mata
    Januzaj**
    ____Falcao

---------Carrick----Blind---------
    Januzaj-------Mata--------Di Maria
    --------------Falcao-----------------
    Id like to see something along these lines, depending on exactly how fit Carrick and Herrera are. Would be inclined towards the latter 4-2-3-1 shape though if 2 up front is something LVG is committed to it makes sense to keep working with that to avoid unnecessary confusion.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Man of the Match

Daley Blind image Daley Blind 45% of 674 votes

Runners-up

Player Ratings

5.4 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 432 ratings.

Score Predictions