Westminster Politics

Don't Kill Bill

It's not illegal to leave a country. The British border control is in Calais, not in Dover. The French one is in Dover not Calais.
If you enter the EU after October you're going to be in for a shock. That's for you to discover later this year.

For the Ukranian refugees that came through France, they were turned away at the ports and told to go to the British embassy in Paris.

How do refugees get on a plane. To get a ticket you need to quote a passport or ID card number and I've usually had to show a passport and I've travelled far more than I really wanted to.
The refugees are transported to the coast and put on a small boat, they're not controlled by anyone. Only those that are intercepted which is approximately 50%
Depends on the country, it is for some people from some countries.

On the wider point about legal routes being set up. What would happen to the people being turned down through those legal routes ?

I get your argument but it is missing that point isn't it?

Unless you are saying the UK sets up legal routes and anyone can apply but if the UK declines them then France takes responsibility for those people in France who are declined by the UK. What would be the likelihood of France being prepared to do that?

Exactly...

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yeah you sound like a complete cockwomble tbf. Maybe you're a lovely chap though. Either way you don't pay your fair share and you should be ashamed of yourself.
There's nothing wrong with tax avoidance and there are multiple government schemes to do it, eg ISAs, pensions, charitable giving etc...

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But that's my point. You might have been taxed and taxed and taxed. But the Duke of Westminster hasn't. And he is probably (literally) 10,000 times richer than you. Which is proof he hasn't been taxed and taxed and taxed.
That is a fair point.
I was referring to the average working class individual.
But yes. There is huge inequality.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
There's nothing wrong with tax avoidance and there are multiple government schemes to do it, eg ISAs, pensions, charitable giving etc...
Depends how much tax you pay and how rich you are really. For the duke of Westminster it's wrong. For Amazon it's wrong. For you, maybe.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Legally doesn't make it right. Specially when the legality is lobbied to favour the rich. And tax avoidance, as much as is legal, it goes against the spirit of the law that is written for tax planning like the examples that you mentioned

Rich and corporations abuse the system and loopholes and often times they create these loopholes. Is legal but is damn wrong. Why I have to pay 15-20% a year while Musk paid In 2015, $68,000 in federal income tax. In 2017, it was $65,000, and in 2018 he paid no federal income tax.

Is beyond ridiculous

acnumber9

Tax avoidance is exploiting rules not intended for those purposes to pay less tax and is investigated by HMRC. It is nothing like ISA’s or pensions. The abuse of non dom status is tax avoidance.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Depends on the country, it is for some people from some countries.

On the wider point about legal routes being set up. What would happen to the people being turned down through those legal routes ?

I get your argument but it is missing that point isn't it?

Unless you are saying the UK sets up legal routes and anyone can apply but if the UK declines them then France takes responsibility for those people in France who are declined by the UK. What would be the likelihood of France being prepared to do that?

Exactly...
But they are. When the camps were closed down they were transferred to refugee centres throughout France but as some of these people want to go to the UK they leave the refugee centres and set off for Calais again.

I'm not talking just about France , I'm talking worldwide.
If they were not eligible to enter the UK then they should be treated the same as anyone else who has been refused asylum. The Uk don't want the refugees and want the rest of Europe to look after them despite the low numbers the UK take in.

Kaos

And in 2021, Musk paid $11 billion.
That was a large one off federal tax bill after he bought shares which were due to expire the following year, he received something like $24billion in taxable income. Outside of that he pays a pittance in federal taxes considering his wealth.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Depends how much tax you pay and how rich you are really. For the duke of Westminster it's wrong. For Amazon it's wrong. For you, maybe.
Yep fair enough, just been thinking how it would be to move back to London, where wages are lower and tax more than double and the thought is depressing.
Legally doesn't make it right. Specially when the legality is lobbied to favour the rich. And tax avoidance, as much as is legal, it goes against the spirit of the law that is written for tax planning like the examples that you mentioned

Rich and corporations abuse the system and loopholes and often times they create these loopholes. Is legal but is damn wrong. Why I have to pay 15-20% a year while Musk paid In 2015, $68,000 in federal income tax. In 2017, it was $65,000, and in 2018 he paid no federal income tax.

Is beyond ridiculous
Tax avoidance is exploiting rules not intended for those purposes to pay less tax and is investigated by HMRC. It is nothing like ISA’s or pensions. The abuse of non dom status is tax avoidance.
Agree with all of that tbh. Though a portion of the Caf has very different views to be on what level of salary punitive taxation should be introduced though, at the risk of the bearded guy from Question Time making another appearance in this thread.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Yep fair enough, just been thinking how it would be to move back to London, where wages are lower and tax more than double and the thought is depressing.

Agree with all of that tbh. Though a portion of the Caf has very different views to be on what level of salary punitive taxation should be introduced though, at the risk of the bearded guy from Question Time making another appearance in this thread.
I've been a contractor through a limited company outside IR35 and paid tax as a company. I think my effective tax rate was maybe 30% max on generally 60-75k revenue with feck all in the way of assets and tbh it felt about right to me. Which shows how scandalous the tax laws are because there are employees earning a lot less than that paying a lot more tax! When you've big companies and the ultra wealthy sometimes paying single digit tax rates it's no wonder we have to subsidise the feckers. The whole system is broken and just singling out reasonably well paid salaried employees doesn't really cut it for me. There should be some mechanism for factoring in existing wealth or something, not just a debate about income.

Jericholyte2

Also

There’s a fundamental difference between being the Opposition Party and the Governing Party.

The likelihood is that at the end of the year we’ll have Starmer in No10 and Trump in the White House. Rules of international diplomacy dictate you have to be civil and constructive with your biggest ‘allies’.