Westminster Politics

Zen86

I wonder what the Tories would actually have to do for the British people to revolt? Are we too lethargic for such a thing to ever happen?

Sweet Square

Balljy

The Tories are so clueless about policies and reactive that I wouldn't be surprised if they see the market reaction and roll back a couple of the policies on Monday.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The Tories are so clueless about policies and reactive that I wouldn't be surprised if they see the market reaction and roll back a couple of the policies on Monday.
That would just create more chaos and uncertainty

Balljy

That would just create more chaos and uncertainty
It would, but I don't think they would care if the reaction to what they've done goes down badly (which it obviously will due to the crazy bad decisions). The bank of England must be fuming having a government that are deliberately subverting what they are attempting to do.

Smores

It would, but I don't think they would care if the reaction to what they've done goes down badly (which it obviously will due to the crazy bad decisions). The bank of England must be fuming having a government that are deliberately subverting what they are attempting to do.
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at some 'clarifications' made next week.

I hope to god someone is keeping a close eye on the investments of these ministers. Like with Brexit I'm sure some donors will made some very well investment decisions.

Last edited:

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Richard Fuller, a Treasury minister, raised eyebrows by arguing that the chancellor’s tax cuts would encourage young people in their 20s earning around £26,000 a year not to go down a “plodding path” in their career but to go into business.

He told LBC said it was about “risk and motivation” and those in their mid 20s should think about being more successful and keeping more of their money, as well as “taking that risk and not doing the plodding normal thing”.

Asked what plodding looks like, he said it was about not “being idle with your cash” and looking for a good return. He said the growth plan was about helping people think about “doing something with your life”.

Fuller said: “Back when I was 25, ironically, it was about the time we had a Conservative government that was looking to cut taxes. What I felt then is that this meant an opportunity for me.

“This meant if it took a risk with the way I wanted to run my career, I didn’t go down the plodding path of just step by step.

That I would have a government that was on my side. It encouraged me to look at things like venture capital and look at ways to grow a business... If you’re 25 and see an opportunity, the government will get out of the way and do what it can to enable you to take up an opportunity.”

---

Don't be a plodder. Don't be idle with your cash. Don't train to be a teacher or a doctor or a social worker or enter a profession. Go into business instead. All businesses succeed and give you a good return.

Richard Fuller knows about taking risks.

Richard Fuller lost his Bedford seat in 2017 to Labour and then was parachuted into a safe Tory seat at the 2019 election. Don't be a plodder. Be like Richard the risk taker.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Yeah I wouldn't be surprised at some 'clarifications' are made next week.

I hope to god someone is keeping a close eye on the investments of these ministers. Like with Brexit I'm sure some donors will made some very well investment decisions.
I bet Rees-Mogg’s hedge fund had shorted GBP.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Richard Fuller, a Treasury minister, raised eyebrows by arguing that the chancellor’s tax cuts would encourage young people in their 20s earning around £26,000 a year not to go down a “plodding path” in their career but to go into business.

He told LBC said it was about “risk and motivation” and those in their mid 20s should think about being more successful and keeping more of their money, as well as “taking that risk and not doing the plodding normal thing”.

Asked what plodding looks like, he said it was about not “being idle with your cash” and looking for a good return. He said the growth plan was about helping people think about “doing something with your life”.

Fuller said: “Back when I was 25, ironically, it was about the time we had a Conservative government that was looking to cut taxes. What I felt then is that this meant an opportunity for me.

“This meant if it took a risk with the way I wanted to run my career, I didn’t go down the plodding path of just step by step.

That I would have a government that was on my side. It encouraged me to look at things like venture capital and look at ways to grow a business... If you’re 25 and see an opportunity, the government will get out of the way and do what it can to enable you to take up an opportunity.”

---

Don't be a plodder. Don't be idle with your cash. Don't train to be a teacher or a doctor or a social worker or enter a profession. Go into business instead. All businesses succeed and give you a good return.

Richard Fuller lost his Bedford seat in 2017 to Labour and then was parachuted into a safe Tory seat at the 2019 election. Don't be a plodder. Be like Richard the risk taker.
Wow talk about a complete load of bollocks. I'm on around that figure and have barely anything left at the end of the month to invest after rent and bills.

The only thing this government could do to be on the side of mid 20 somethings is to enact policies that decrease rent prices but of course they'd never dream of it.

arnie_ni

Not sure why the cut the additional rate of tax. If anything it should have been increased a few percent to offset the cuts for the lower income people

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Wow talk about a complete load of bollocks. I'm on around that figure and have barely anything left at the end of the month to invest after rent and bills.

The only thing this government could do to be on the side of mid 20 somethings is to enact policies that decrease rent prices but of course they'd never dream of it.
Just work harder and take risks you lazy sod!

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I bet Rees-Mogg’s hedge fund had shorted GBP.
It's an emerging markets equity shop that's been bleeding assets for years now and is quite loss-making after further redemptions this year.
If he'd sold out five years ago he'd have got five times the price probably.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

---

I want to cave his head in and use the goo to heat my home for a few seconds this winter.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

---

Did he have any suggestions as to who would be the future doctors, teachers, nurses etc and the many thousands of other types of jobs that are needed for the country to function? Probably not.

Dr. StrangeHate

I keep getting messages on LinkedIn for jobs in Australia, US, and Middle East. Always ignored such messages but first time today replied to a few. Need to jump off the sinking ship. I am so fking angry at this budget.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
Minor point but I'm not sure where the perception the FT is pro Tory comes from. It's pretty much dead centrist, which of course the Tories are not.

Edit - Maybe slightly right. Culture coverage is banging though.
Probably because labour apparently crashed the economy so a finance paper would not support labour (which is insane)

ThehatchetMan

Plz look at Me! Pay attention to Me!
Supports
Crusaders FC
Minor point but I'm not sure where the perception the FT is pro Tory comes from. It's pretty much dead centrist, which of course the Tories are not.

I agree FT has never struck me as a daily mail/express. But it's not a daily mirror or guardian either.

Certainly wouldn't say its right wing. Maybe slightly right.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
At some point we have to take action.
Absolutely. These parasitic spiv ghouls will stay until the bitter end, we need to drag them out kicking and screaming to answer for their at best negligent incompetence or at worst what is nothing short of treasonous theft from and damage to the nation.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Also from the FT. They're going to town on them.

The chancellor also stated that “our plan is to expand the supply side of the economy through tax incentives and reform.” Are the measures outlined in the speech likely to achieve any such transformation? The answer is “no”. Kwarteng proposes, for example, an acceleration in approval of infrastructure projects. Over a long period that should speed growth a little. But it is inconceivable that the unapproved projects of today will be transforming the economy within just a few years.

The chancellor has also reversed tax increases but as Ian Mulheirn of the Tony Blair Institute notes: “It’s hard to see how returning the tax system broadly to where it was in 2021 is now going to stimulate long-term growth.”

If the supply side promises are a fantasy, the fiscal and economic risks are not. The permanent tax cuts amount to close to 2 per cent of gross domestic product. According to Paul Johnson of the Institute for Fiscal Studies, the chancellor announced “the biggest package of tax cuts in 50 years without even a semblance of an effort to make the public finance numbers add up”. To this must be added an emergency energy package set to cost £60bn in just half a year.

Who could seriously regard this huge fiscal loosening as responsible? The Bank of England will be forced to tighten sharply. The government might then pour blame upon it for the results of its own decisions.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Absolutely. These parasitic spiv ghouls will stay until the bitter end, we need to drag them out kicking and screaming to answer for their at best negligent incompetence or at worst what is nothing short of treasonous theft from and damage to the nation.
I'm still patiently waiting for the public Covid inquiry. Feel like I'm going to be disappointed

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member

---

Wait, the top section of that post is actually something someone said out of their mouth & others heard them?

Balljy

'The government might then pour blame upon it for the results of its own decisions.'

Indeed. They'll claim the modern Bank of England is a Gordon Brown creation and everything is Labour's fault.
Then take it back under government control, removing any independence

Last edited:

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

I read most of my stuff from the FT but their bias and leaning is clearly Tory and they've endorsed every Tory up until Johnson. Not sure if they backed even him in 2019. They're very much part of the neoliberal mainstream but they give voice to less aligned voices as well.

Like a typical right wing voter in the UK, they make all the right observations and identify the problems but always prescribe the same medicine. At best they do what a typical Tory does and NOT endorse the Tories.

Just look at who's their political editor - a guy that seemingly joined from Oxbridge (not checked that) as a 'digital editor' and in the span of a few years and a couple of holidays, he was in charge.

Edit: Apparently, Sebastien Payne is not Oxbridgre but a Durham alumni

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I read most of my stuff from the FT but their bias and leaning is clearly Tory and they've endorsed every Tory up until Johnson. Not sure if they backed even him in 2019. They're very much part of the neoliberal mainstream but they give voice to less aligned voices as well.

Like a typical right wing voter in the UK, they make all the right observations and identify the problems but always prescribe the same medicine. At best they do what a typical Tory does and NOT endorse the Tories.

Just look at who's their political editor - a guy that seemingly joined from Oxbridge (not checked that) as a 'digital editor' and in the span of a few years and a couple of holidays, he was in charge.

Edit: Apparently, Sebastien Payne is not Oxbridgre but a Durham alumni
The FT has been pretty scathing of the government for multiple successive Tory PMs and is easily the least biased paper we have for politics.
The editor is from Beirut and educated overseas, not your classic PPE at Oxford graduate.

As an aside, I only found out Dimbleby was in the Bullingdon club in his Telegraph interview yesterday.

Josep Dowling

This budget will damage the country for years to come. It’s like the Tories know they won’t be elected in the next election and trying to steal as much money out of the system for themselves before it happens.

Why have they given the already rich a 5% tax cut? Why have banker bonuses been uncapped? Why are they trying to prop up the housing market again with a stamp duty deduction? These policies are absolutely crazy. I knew Truss was going to be disaster. She’s not been in the office a few weeks and shown how clueless she is. I wish the people of this country would riot at this stage.

Anyone earning below £50k a year is getting shafted with spiralling costs and all our government does is help the very rich as priority. It’s a complete con.

Josep Dowling

How long before a vote of no confidence is tabled then? What gets me is how distant all this shite is from the manifesto they were elected on. They've gone completely off-piste and people are rightly pissed off.
There should be more consequences for not meeting manifesto promises. This has always been an issue with me. How can you be elected on promises that you can then reverse when you’re in power?

Fluctuation0161

I fear Truss is not only deluded in her economic beliefs and a puppet of the ERG, she is also very stubborn. A contrast to Johnson.