Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Spot on!
Starmer and the Labour Party heading into stormy waters, he's got to get a grip, anyone rocking the boat gets thrown overboard, the media will be scanning everything said or published by anyone remotely connected to Labour.
I wonder sometime if these people who make the sort of statements we have heard recently actually know what a fuss their words will kick up, or that someone is recording, or reporting what they say, or are they really from la la land, either way close the door Sir Keir and make sure they hand in their key..
Good post. And of course it had to be the DM that printed the story. As you say, everyone associated with Labour has got to be ultra careful. But we know they won't...

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Odd that there was no headline article on the BBC about the Green party withdrawing support for its candidate, it was covered as a footnote in Labour's Rochdale story....
You could certainly argue the Green party issue was worth it's own story, even as a hook for a broader piece on how events thousands of miles away are shaping this by-election.

Let's not pretend the Labour debacle and the Greens are equally newsworthy in isolation though.

Sweet Square

Tbh I’m guessing the answer is the party has received a big donation from some oil company. The same thing happened when he got rid of the tax on tech companies.
Rachel Reeves accepted donation from climate sceptic days before dropping £28bn pledger
Rachel Reeves accepted £10,100 from a climate sceptic just days before Labour abandoned its flagship £28bn green energy spending pledge

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/busines...ccepted-donation-climate-sceptic-28bn-pledge/

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Rachel Reeves accepted donation from climate sceptic days before dropping £28bn pledger

I can work out if she’s just a massive cnut or a bad politician.
Not a typo, I’ve worked out it’s the former.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

It's not exactly how the headline makes out is it?

Lord Donoughue believes in climate change and but is sceptical about how it will be funded and finances involved. He doesn't deny it exist. He's certainly not some oil company like you made out.

Torygraph spouting shite as per. I don't even particularly like Rachel Reeves but this is a stretch. 2+2=5.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
It's not exactly how the headline makes out is it?

Lord Donoughue believes in climate change and but is sceptical about how it will be funded and finances involved. He doesn't deny it exist. He's certainly not some oil company like you made out.

Torygraph spouting shite as per. I don't even particularly like Rachel Reeves but this is a stretch. 2+2=5.
He’s literally a director and former chairman of The Global Warming Policy Foundation which is a Tufton Street think tank which is funded by the fossil fuel industry.

Sweet Square

Not a typo, I’ve worked out it’s the former.
:lol:

So far Labour seem very cheap to buy off.

Lord Donoughue believes in climate change and but is sceptical about how it will be funded and finances involved.
Donoughue wrote in 2016 that he accepted “carbon emissions do have a relationship with global warming” but argued the “degree of this sensitivity has not been conclusively established.” In the same article, he backed “the extraction of cheap and relatively clean shale gas”, not “silly and expensive windmills.”

https://www.desmog.com/2019/01/30/l...ying-group-has-vested-interests-fossil-fuels/

He's certainly not some oil company like you made out.
Donoughue’s 30 shareholdings include four investment funds that list BP and Shell in their top five holdings, while another fund has shares in ExxonMobil, the House of Lords’ latest Register of Interests shows.

A further fund invests heavily in oil and gas infrastructure in the US and Canada, including the controversial Kinder Morgan and Keystone XLpipelines. The pipelines carry oil from the Alberta tar sands and have faced strong resistance from local indigenous communities in recent years.

https://www.desmog.com/2019/01/30/l...ying-group-has-vested-interests-fossil-fuels/

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
BBC News, politics section, top story is inflation holding at 4%. The next 4 stories are all related to Labour and the issue with the Rochdale candidate plus the withdrawal of support for the Graham Jones. This is why Starmer has to be cautious on everything.
Yeah, they're going for Labour now. The vested interests are panicking.

Abizzz

I remember when the story about the Camden flats came out. Another reason why I won't buy new shit, it's all built to a price.
I honestly wasn't aware that it was this bad for new builds, especially the lease deals with service charges. One almost assumes everything is expensive these days, but to get shoddy quality built in modern times for premium prices is truly a nightmare. One wonders how many lives have been impacted.

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
I honestly wasn't aware that it was this bad for new builds, especially the lease deals with service charges. One almost assumes everything is expensive these days, but to get shoddy quality built in modern times for premium prices is truly a nightmare. One wonders how many lives have been impacted.
Purely a corporate focus on the margin.

"What if we used this material, it's cheaper and will break in 24 months but we will save £X per unit, meaning a reduction in cost of £XXX.....and the best bit is, the liability is not with us as the developer/builder but with the lease company..."

"trebles all round lads, bravo!"

decorativeed

The UK GDP had grown the last 15 years an average of 1.5%-2%. What I can't understand is that the NHS, education, the military and seems like every single meaningful department is underfunded and they can get away without people going to the streets shouting corruption and sharpen the guillotines

And this is not exclusively from UK
Isn't that 2% rise in GDP nullified by the 8% (around 5m people) rise in the population since 2010? It's the fact that the government have done nothing to manage this easily predictable change and its effect on public services that leads them to blaming 100,000 immigrants for all our woes.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Nah, everything's fine...

British Gas profits leap from £72m to £751m in a year

Unite union says UK energy supplier’s bumper results ‘come off the back of exorbitant energy bills’

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2024/feb/15/british-gas-profits-energy-bills-centrica
Serves 12m homes, so about £60 each home, except also 300,000 businesses, some of which would be quite large I imagine (could be wrong) so probably quite a bit less than £60 each.

Obviously I'd rather have that cash in my own pocket but is it unreasonable compared to profits made by the other things we spend money on, supermarkets, internet and media supply, holidays or car dealers? Not sure, but I'm not scandalised by it either.

For the record I would not have privatised, and if I had done I would have invested the proceeds in infrastructure and improving public services, and not spunked them on tax cuts as Thatcher did, even though I gained from them, but I suppose that was a long time ago now.

decorativeed

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Serves 12m homes, so about £60 each home, except also 300,000 businesses, some of which would be quite large I imagine (could be wrong) so probably quite a bit less than £60 each.

Obviously I'd rather have that cash in my own pocket but is it unreasonable compared to profits made by the other things we spend money on, supermarkets, internet and media supply, holidays or car dealers? Not sure, but I'm not scandalised by it either.

For the record I would not have privatised, and if I had done I would have invested the proceeds in infrastructure and improving public services, and not spunked them on tax cuts as Thatcher did, even though I gained from them, but I suppose that was a long time ago now.
You can't just look at British Gas in isolation. You need to look at its parent company which helps to determine the wholesale price its downstream company (British Gas) pays. Centrica profits - £2.75 Billion. When British Gas profits were lower a year earlier, Centrica's profits were £3.3 Billion. Evidently production costs and scarcity aren't the only reasons for the wholesale gas price.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
You can't just look at British Gas in isolation. You need to look at its parent company which helps to determine the wholesale price its downstream company (British Gas) pays. Centrica profits - £2.75 Billion. When British Gas profits were lower a year earlier, Centrica's profits were £3.3 Billion. Evidently production costs and scarcity aren't the only reasons for the wholesale gas price.
I wasn't, I was replying to the post and linked article I quoted. If you have the patience to look into Centrica's turnover and profits per customer then go ahead, I might agree with you.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I wasn't, I was replying to the post and linked article I quoted. If you have the patience to look into Centrica's turnover and profits per customer then go ahead, I might agree with you.
They have a stake in some renewables and nuclear power, but predominantly they're a gas production and supply firm. As far as I can see their main customers are their own downstream companies: ie British Gas (and Bord Gais in Ireland) so ultimately the same 12 million households and sundry businesses as mentioned in the quoted post. British Gas make the £60 per household profit, but they also pass on the costs associated with the even greater profits of their parent company and main supplier.

Eplel

I live in a flat in Hither Green that is relatively new build (built in 2011 i think) - one of the ways these geniuses thought of saving money was to not install energy meters to to the flats by default (because the providers would not do it for free for a commercial client), so they left it to the future tenants to do that. So basically my flat is connected straight to the UK Power Network and I have not paid for energy for the past 4 years, same for some of my neighbors. I even contacted UK Power NEtwork and they said there's not a lot they can do, unless I want to shoot myself on the foot and have a supplier install one so that I can finally pay my electricity.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
They have a stake in some renewables and nuclear power, but predominantly they're a gas production and supply firm. As far as I can see their main customers are their own downstream companies: ie British Gas (and Bord Gais in Ireland) so ultimately the same 12 million households and sundry businesses as mentioned in the quoted post. British Gas make the £60 per household profit, but they also pass on the costs associated with the even greater profits of their parent company and main supplier.
Thanks, just having a look at Centrica's share price, and while it has risen this year it's not that much different to what it was 10 years ago. Annual dividend 2.43%. With a poor attention span I know I have limitations on this stuff though, I very rarely buy individual shares.
https://www.google.com/search?q=cen...EAAYjwIyEwgBEC4YgwEYxwEYsQMY0QMYgAQyDQgCEAAYg

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
I live in a flat in Hither Green that is relatively new build (built in 2011 i think) - one of the ways these geniuses thought of saving money was to not install energy meters to to the flats by default (because the providers would not do it for free for a commercial client), so they left it to the future tenants to do that. So basically my flat is connected straight to the UK Power Network and I have not paid for energy for the past 4 years, same for some of my neighbors. I even contacted UK Power NEtwork and they said there's not a lot they can do, unless I want to shoot myself on the foot and have a supplier install one so that I can finally pay my electricity.
That's going to be a big ouch one day :(

I got free gas in a flat for a year once, the gas board kept sending people round to look for the meter, which was obviously in someone else's flat but they wouldn't believe us. Never did pay, sorry someone else.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
This isn't new, it's been going on for decades, think about all the houses/flats that were built in the 1960's in the Manchester area, most of those are/were worse than the "slums" they were built to replace, some were so bad they've been demolished already

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We are neighbours. :nervous:

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I suppose it would give an incoming government a greater pool of talent to find ministers from. God knows there are some feckwits in there at the moment.
We have a by-election tomorrow in what is the Kingswood constituency, which changes at the next GE. Our MP was Chris Skidmore who resigned due to disagreement with Sunak total climb down on green environmental issues.
I am hopeful that it will go to the Labour candidate as the Tory candidate has fought a typically dirty campaign.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
We have a by-election tomorrow in what is the Kingswood constituency, which changes at the next GE. Our MP was Chris Skidmore who resigned due to disagreement with Sunak total climb down on green environmental issues.
I am hopeful that it will go to the Labour candidate as the Tory candidate has fought a typically dirty campaign.
It’s today mate! I’m off to vote in a little while, make sure you don’t forget!