Westminster Politics

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
The sad fact is that ultimately this is a right wing country and the Tory party is home for just enough people to win FPTP elections more often than not. Starmer isn’t going to do anything that will convince a population with short memories that Labour are the long option. A rebranded Tory party promising tax cuts and prosperity will absolutely walk it in 28/29.
Short memories indeed, you have forgotten that not long ago Labour were in power for 13 years.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Short memories indeed, you have forgotten that not long ago Labour were in power for 13 years.
I’ve not forgotten, I’m just aware of the fact it’s only 13 of the last 45 years.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
So it could happen again then. Yes, it is perfectly possible that the Tories could win the following election, but to claim as a certainty as you did is simply bollocks.
Not really. The country was in rude national health at the end of that 13 year period. Pretty much everything worked as well as it’s ever done. That probably not saying much, but they should have been the first 13 years of a good run. We needed left wing opposition to a fairly centre left Labour Party that demanded even more for the people.

Instead, we had an ungrateful populace that fell for Cameron’s bollocks. It happens every single time. The people in this country are poorly informed of politics, economics and when paired with the media and bad faith actors in the Tory party… they vote against their own best interests so often.

British people are kind, compassionate, but they are easily led. They focus on the micro day to day of their own lives and even when it’s good, they’re gullible at the macro level. Towns where only ‘The Good Immigrants’ exist, as doctors and nurses and dentists, that see them not have to wait for services… will buy into macro dramas about immigration and pick up a pitchfork. They can have a child in a school rated ‘Good’ that’s raising middle England economy drones where they all get ten GCSE’s and have among the highest percentage of children going on to Uni… and get corrupted by the threat of unisex toilets, or that children at the school are soon to identify as cats.

They routinely vote for a party that makes everything worse. Every. Single. Time.

It’ll happen again. No question.

Not really. The country was in rude national health at the end of that 13 year period. Pretty much everything worked as well as it’s ever done. That probably not saying much, but they should have been the first 13 years of a good run. We needed left wing opposition to a fairly centre left Labour Party that demanded even more for the people.

Instead, we had an ungrateful populace that fell for Cameron’s bollocks. It happens every single time. The people in this country are poorly informed of politics, economics and when paired with the media and bad faith actors in the Tory party… they vote against their own best interests so often.

British people are kind, compassionate, but they are easily led. They focus on the micro day to day of their own lives and even when it’s good, they’re gullible at the macro level. Towns where only ‘The Good Immigrants’ exist, as doctors and nurses and dentists, that see them not have to wait for services… will buy into macro dramas about immigration and pick up a pitchfork. They can have a child in a school rated ‘Good’ that’s raising middle England economy drones where they all get ten GCSE’s and have among the highest percentage of children going on to Uni… and get corrupted by the threat of unisex toilets, or that children at the school are soon to identify as cats.

They routinely vote for a party that makes everything worse. Every. Single. Time.

It’ll happen again. No question.
What country were you living in? The UK was fecked in 2010. Then things were going well under the Tories until somebody decided a Brexit vote would be a good idea.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
What country were you living in? The UK was fecked in 2010. Then things were going well under the Tories until somebody decided a Brexit vote would be a good idea.
If you call wholesale cuts to public services while spending increased and the national deficit increased, which was cited as the reason for austerity, going well then yeah it was a rave

If you call wholesale cuts to public services while spending increased and the national deficit increased, which was cited as the reason for austerity, going well then yeah it was a rave
Economy was back in growth and the budget deficit was being reduced. For that 5 or 6 years until the referendum everything was going in the right direction.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I’ve heard some takes, but this is insane. The UK wasn’t fcuked. The GFC fecked most countries. Austerity compounded its impacts.

A Labour government would have handled it far better.

Bert_

Economy was back in growth and the budget deficit was being reduced. For that 5 or 6 years until the referendum everything was going in the right direction.
Economy was back in growth in 2009. The budget defecit was an invented concept used as an excuse to finish the assest stripping and transfer of wealth Thatcher started in the 80s. Goverments need to spend money to make money, growth in other words.

After 14 years of austerity, the defecit is about the same as it was before the the 08 crash. And what do we have to show for it?

Going in the right direction :lol:

Drainy

Economy was back in growth in 2009. The budget defecit was an invented concept used as an excuse to finish the assest stripping and transfer of wealth Thatcher started in the 80s. Goverments need to spend money to make money, growth in other words.

After 14 years of austerity, the defecit is about the same as it was before the the 08 crash. And what do we have to show for it?

Yes but not as much of the growth was going to the extraordinarily well off so it doesn't count

Sweet Square

I’ve heard some takes, but this is insane. The UK wasn’t fcuked. The GFC fecked most countries. Austerity compounded its impacts.

A Labour government would have handled it far better.
The UK was hit harder than its peers, and harder than it should have been had Brown not relaxed regulations and pushed the financial sector to take more and more risks to prop up his spending plans. Through the GFC the UK economy was hit harder than the US and Euro area and from 2012 to the referendum UK growth matched the US and was well ahead of the Euro area. Those last few years of Labour made things much worse than they needed to be.

The UK economy contracted by 4.6% in 2009. Literally the worst single year since the war. :lol:

Bert_

The UK was hit harder than its peers, and harder than it should have been had Brown not relaxed regulations and pushed the financial sector to take more and more risks to prop up his spending plans. Through the GFC the UK economy was hit harder than the US and Euro area and from 2012 to the referendum UK growth matched the US and was well ahead of the Euro area. Those last few years of Labour made things much worse than they needed to be.
Relaxed regulations the Tories didn't think were relaxed enough. Imagine if they'd been in charge at the time!

The UK economy contracted by 4.6% in 2009. Literally the worst single year since the war. :lol:
Semantics of financial reporting years. The year after the crash bottomed out, we had a 2.2% GDP growth.

Stats for anyone who cares...
https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/timeseries/ihyp/pn2

UnrelatedPsuedo

The Uk was hit hardest as it was ground zero for lending and insurance.

It’s proper fantasy stuff to see what the Tories have done in 14 years and allow yourself to believe that they didn’t coast on Labour success for the early period, and destroy the country with every passing year. Like, really mad, outside of reality thinking.

You can’t possibly think Austerity was good?

Balljy

Fascists.

The bit about restaffing the department of immigration is interesting. I had a mate who used to work there, and originally wanted the job because he wanted to help people who needed help (rather than how it seems to be now which is you're there to stop immigration under all circumstances).

After a couple of years he left, because the job was affecting him too much when he was being forced to turn people away to hit quotas. He's given me a couple of examples of people who were coming from desperate situations and were really enthusiastic about working and adjusting to the UK.

The Uk was hit hardest as it was ground zero for lending and insurance.

It’s proper fantasy stuff to see what the Tories have done in 14 years and allow yourself to believe that they didn’t coast on Labour success for the early period, and destroy the country with every passing year. Like, really mad, outside of reality thinking.

You can’t possibly think Austerity was good?
The US dwarfs the UK for lending and insurance, it was both hit less and recovered faster. I was working in the industry at the time and everybody knew problems were being stored up with some of the products we were layering on top of each other but every year the regulations would be loosened a bit to help the gravy train carry on. Some properly exotic products were being traded in London because nowhere else would allow them.

My thoughts are simple. Blair did a decent job, Gordon Brown was a disaster. He loaded us up with too much bloat and debt for the size of the economy. Austerity was necessary for a period of time but we should have dropped it in the mid 2010s.

Bert_

The US dwarfs the UK for lending and insurance, it was both hit less and recovered faster. I was working in the industry at the time and everybody knew problems were being stored up with some of the products we were layering on top of each other but every year the regulations would be loosened a bit to help the gravy train carry on. Some properly exotic products were being traded in London because nowhere else would allow them.

My thoughts are simple. Blair did a decent job, Gordon Brown was a disaster. He loaded us up with too much bloat and debt for the size of the economy. Austerity was necessary for a period of time but we should have dropped it in the mid 2010s.
The US recovered quicker because they didn't go down the austerity route we did which has proved to be a disaster which we've yet to recover from.

Apart from the borrowing to nationalise the banks during the financial crisis what did Brown do differently to Blair by the way?