Westminster Politics

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
To be honest Iraq is a great example of how a loss of influence and friends can be extremely damaging to us. We shouldn't have gone into Iraq, but who knows what we might be compelled into going into we become so dependent on the US. The US are the only country in the world who openly talk about who should they bomb next and we might end up following them to whatever situation they choose to go in.
Now that is a fair point.

Maticmaker

What would the appropriate reaction to what was served up last night by the leading lights of the governing party then?
To treat it for what it was 'entertainment', to relax and enjoy the 'knockabout/Punch & Judy' show, shout at the screen (if you must) 'he's behind you' … but don't expect to learn anything useful, that's the point I was trying to make, that clearly some contributors did take it as a serious debate!

Sweet Square

Surely I just paraphrased what he meant?
And I pointed out what that influence was but apparently something something far right and far left have lots in common ?

No one really knows what he means by Britain punching above it's weight(Although I've yet to think of a example of Britain punching above its weight which did any good in the world) but the Iraq war is clearly a example (I could of used many but the Iraq war really annoys a certain type for some reason)of Britain punching above its weight and using its influence.

If some are going to cry about Britain losing influence in the world, it should be reminded what that influence actually was rather than for some bizarre nostalgia that never existed. But you know it was like ages go, so whatever I guess.

Last edited:

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Poster 1 was bemoaning how Britain used to be a country of international influence, which is fading away thanks to the Brexit clusterfeck. The leap from that to “but Iraq” was and is laughable. The Iraq war is a tiny footnote in the history of Britain being a nation that was more influential, globally, than its population would suggest.
Also one of the most recent footnotes but I guess we should stop caring about wars that ended less than a decade ago.

Not sure what you would prefer poster 2 have brought up considering poster 1 started talking about our glorious past.

Shinjch

To treat it for what it was 'entertainment', to relax and enjoy the 'knockabout/Punch & Judy' show, shout at the screen (if you must) 'he's behind you' … but don't expect to learn anything useful, that's the point I was trying to make, that clearly some contributors did take it as a serious debate!
How are we meant to ever get change if this charade is just accepted by everyone?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Also one of the most recent footnotes but I guess we should stop caring about wars that ended less than a decade ago.

Not sure what you would prefer poster 2 have brought up considering poster 1 started talking about our glorious past.
Dunno about “glorious past” but I’m sure most British people would settle for not being the laughing stock of the rest of the world, forced to grovel in front of a narcissistic feckwit like Donald Trump while engaging in prolonged, humiliating self harm.

I’d imagine that’s the sort of very low bar he had in mind when he was talking about how far Britain has fallen. But yeah, Iraq. Obviously that’s the main thing we should be talking about here.

Shamwow

Dunno about “glorious past” but I’m sure most British people would settle for not being the laughing stock of the rest of the world, forced to grovel in front of a narcissistic feckwit like Donald Trump while engaging in prolonged, humiliating self harm.

I’d imagine that’s the sort of very low bar he had in mind when he was talking about how far Britain has fallen. But yeah, Iraq. Obviously that’s the main thing we should be talking about here.
You mean Iraq when we were doing worse than grovelling, in front of a feckwit like George Bush? If you want to talk about low bars then it's kind of relevant and very recent.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
You mean Iraq when we were doing worse than grovelling, in front of a feckwit like George Bush? If you want to talk about low bars then it's kind of relevant and very recent.
Utter bollox. The logic behind the motivation for going into Iraq can be debated all day long but any reasonable person would put the desire/need to grovel in front of Bush well down that list.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Can we stop all the willy waving and get back to talking about how worrying it is that yet again out future PM BoJo is a fecking coward?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Utter bollox. The motivations for going into Iraq can be debated all day long but any reasonable person would put the desire to grovel in front of Bush well down that list.
It was a common perception at the time though:

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
It was a common perception at the time though:

Top cartoon is from 2012 but I get your point. Still don’t think it’s an analogy that makes sense. Britain was - more or less - an equal partner going into Iraq (i.e. punching above its weight). You can argue that strengthening that partnership was a big factor in Blair’s thinking (I’m not sure it was) but it’s not even close to the current craven display. Making civil servants fall on their sword after a snotty tweet from a dickhead POTUS in case that might give marginal gains in future trade deals.

Sweet Square

Top cartoon is from 2012 but I get your point. Still don’t think it’s an analogy that makes sense. Britain was - more or less - an equal partner going into Iraq (i.e. punching above its weight). You can argue that strengthening that partnership was a big factor in Blair’s thinking (I’m not sure it was) but it’s not even close to the current craven display. Making civil servants fall on their sword after a snotty tweet from a dickhead POTUS in case that might give marginal gains in future trade deals.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...ilitary-was-humiliated-by-local-a7123561.html

Britain’s troops were sent to war in Iraq under-prepared and with “serious equipment shortfalls” and the military involvement in Basra ended with a “humiliating” bargain with local militias not to target its forces, according to the Chilcot.

The full scope of Britain’s contribution was only settled in mid-January 2003, weeks before the invasion, leaving barely any time to prepare three brigades for their combat roles. The extent of the risks were “neither properly identified nor fully exposed to ministers”, Sir John Chilcot said in a damning assessment which will vindicate the long-standing criticisms by families of service personnel who were killed in Iraq.

So rapid was the deployment and so under-prepared were the Armed Forces that initially there was even a shortage of desert uniforms and boots.

Major General Graham Binns, a commander in Basra, told the Inquiry: “There were soldiers who didn’t have desert combats, you know, we were asking them to go to war incorrectly dressed.”

Over-stretched by twin campaigns in Iraq and Afghanistan, British forces in the south of Iraq, centred on Basra, faced a rapidly deteriorating security situation after the invasion with equipment gaps in key areas, particularly helicopters, and equipment for surveillance and intelligence gathering, the report found.

The Ministry of Defence, meanwhile, was slow to respond to the threat posed by improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which took a heavy toll on British forces. There was a failure to provide sufficient numbers of patrol vehicles equipped with extra protection that “should not have been tolerated”, the report said.
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...quipped-amid-lack-of-plan-chilcot-report-says
Chilcot says the chaos can be partly explained by the fact the MoD planned the invasion in a rush and had been unable to discuss buying new equipment from the defence industry until weeks before the conflict because of the need to maintain secrecy.

The MoD had been discreetly working on a plan to invade Iraq from the north but had to switch to the south on 8 January 2003, just two months before the invasion, when it became clear Turkey would not permit British troops to be based there.

“There was little time to prepare three brigades and the risks were neither properly identified nor fully exposed to ministers,” Chilcot says.

By then, commanders already knew that there were shortfalls in certain types of equipment, but their advice to ministers was that the risk was “considered acceptable.”

Once British forces were in Iraq, it quickly became clear the army didn’t have enough helicopters, armoured vehicles, or equipment for surveillance and intelligence collection.

Yet the Ministry of Defence was slow to react to the threats posed by insurgents using roadside bombs (Improvised Explosive Devices) that could easily pierce the armour on the army’s Snatch Land Rovers.

“We have found that the Ministry of Defence was slow in responding to the threat of improvised explosive devices and that delays in providing adequate medium-weight protected patrol vehicles should not have been tolerated.”

The report says the UK’s efforts were hampered by an assumption that the US had a robust post-invasion plan, when it didn’t.

Last edited:

Shamwow

At least the ambassador hasn't been pressured into committing suicide yet.

2cents

Scout
There may be a difference in the extent of the submissiveness, but I’d say it’s in the same ball park. And it’s in Trump’s nature to have this stuff play out in the public, we can’t really be certain how it might go behind the scenes.

(Edit): just saw your post above, fair enough. I’m not a huge fan of shouting “Iraq!” either, though probably guilty of it often enough.

Attila

Supports
Trad Bricks
Utter bollox. The logic behind the motivation for going into Iraq can be debated all day long but any reasonable person would put the desire/need to grovel in front of Bush well down that list.

Almost like a lover promising to be faithful 'till death us do part', Tony Blair promised George Bush: “I will be with you, whatever.” It has long been rumoured the Prime Minister had promised something of the sort during his private dealings with the US President , though not everyone believed it.

But those were the opening words of Mr Blair’s ‘Note on Iraq’ that he sent to the White House on 28 July 2002 – long before the British public was told that the Prime Minister had set out on a path that led inevitably British involvement in the Iraq conflict, eight months later. In the same note, Mr Blair made it quite clear that he wanted to see President Saddam Hussein’s brutal regime overthrown, although for public consumption he persistently maintained that the US and UK were not after “regime change” but that their purpose was to compel the Iraqi dictator to comply with United Nations resolutions. Mr Blair said of Saddam Hussein: “His departure would free up the region.”

Sir John Chilcot’s report acknowledges that in the run up to the Iraq war, Tony Blair’s desire to preserve the UK’s special relationship with the US was a “determining factor” in the decision to go to war. His inquiry team agree that it was a worthwhile aim, but stressed that having a special relationship does not mean that the UK has to support everything US foreign policy initiative.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...test-news-with-you-whatever-a7122471.html?amp

2cents

Scout
Thread/

Abizzz

No one worried this leak was done by Boris/Trump/Bannon people to install a fellow fascists at the intersection between the UK/US ?

Maticmaker

How are we meant to ever get change if this charade is just accepted by everyone?
I don't think such TV debates are accepted as a 'real' debate by everyone. As I said, it would be interesting to know how many of the tory members eligible to vote in the selection process actually watched the programme as a means of deciding which way they should vote, I would assume very few!

On the wider issue of getting change, the answer (for me) would be to encourage people to vote positively for what they believe in rather than the tactical voting which now seems to consume most elections. One of the refreshing things about the referendum was the binary aspect, we remain or we leave?

The fact that our much vaunted political system in fact cannot deal with such straightforward issues, i.e. the blunt honesty implied, speaks volumes. Yes, of course the issue was much more complex than that, but our political system is so convoluted that it cannot cope with straightforward matters and I suspect, it bodes ill for our future.

Abizzz

It was my first assumption, easy move to make.
Yes, and it may just be the first of many. Boris will want to "rejuvenate" a civil service full of people who aren't convinced by brexit or his style of politics. I wouldn't be surprised to see this become the normal mode of operation, leak some private/professional communication (stating the obvious) and just wait for them to be so overwhelmed by the trolls etc. that they step down.

It's far easier than firing people.

Sweet Square

I know you chaps absolutely love talking about Iraq but I’m kind of done on this tangent, so happy to let the thread get back on topic. I think I’ve justified my original comment enough at this point. If you don’t agree with my justification that’s grand.
:lol:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
Knows which side her bread is buttered does our Amber... she wont be the only one, now Hunts admitted he also wont take no deal off the table!
Predictable as sunrise.
She praised Lawson for cutting the top rate of tax to 40% in 1988, and set out her view that the Conservatives must not be afraid to reduce taxes for higher earners, claiming this would contribute to economic growth.

Yeah Right

feck off you Tory cnut

nickm

The UK was the US' bitch in 2003, and is still one today. Maybe because of different reasons but the relationship hasn't changed.
That is just ridiculously simplistic. I’m not going to argue Iraq all over again, but the point is that sure, while the UK was always the junior partner, we were an influential player. Our military, historic relationships, EU membership and UN seat meant we played a substantial role in helping maintain Western influence - probably an outsize role for a small island with a medium sized economy. That is what punching above our weight means.

Silva

Of the 71 countries around the world in which same-sex sexual relations are illegal, it's no coincidence that more than half are former British colonies or protectorates, according to research provided by the International LGBTI Association.
In most of these countries, legislation outlawing consensual gay sex was inherited from British rule and left in place following independence.
at what point do you have admit that your country was a mistake and should just be done with

nickm

You guys are a joke. Poster 1 brings up that we used to punch above our weight in the past. Poster 2 points out what came as part of that punching. Poster 3 laughs at poster 2 for bringing up the past, to try and back poster 1 up.
Poster 2 does not point out what happened as result of that punching. Poster 2 actually picks a single example rather than make a more balanced assessment of how British interests have been served by our international relationships. Basically shouting “Iraq bad” all the time is not an argument especially nearly two decades after the event.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
That is just ridiculously simplistic. I’m not going to argue Iraq all over again, but the point is that sure, while the UK was always the junior partner, we were an influential player. Our military, historic relationships, EU membership and UN seat meant we played a substantial role in helping maintain Western influence - probably an outsize role for a small island with a medium sized economy. That is what punching above our weight means.
Ok, not sure there's much to argue about who was leading whom in Iraq after Blair's love letter to Bush was revealed.

But you're right, let's take a more nuanced view. There are indeed times post-WW2 when the UK has been at a slightly different place than the US.

1. Like the rest of Europe, it did not get involved with Vietnam. I am not sure if it punched above its weight since nothing changed, IIRC tiny Sweden had a more important diplomatic role.

2. There are a whole series of resolutions re Palestine/Israel where the US stands alone, with no European support, for Israel. The UK isn't punching above its weight since these aren't worth the paper they're written on. Its punching carries the same impact as Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, etc, all once parts of its empire. See also - Iran deal and US sanctions effectively isolating Iran with the EU (as yet) unable to change the situation, once again, UK punching very much in line with its weight.

3. In Libya, while the US was dithering, the US and France bravely took the lead and tranformed the dictatorship into the flourishing slave-market democracy that we see today. That is a genuine example of a moderate economy affecting world affairs, congrats to the UK.

4. In Egypt, alongside Israel and France, the UK waged war to prevent nationalisation of its ex-colonial holding. Opposed by both superpowers, truly punching well above its weight, impressive work by the UK.

This whole discussion is such a farce. The only reason the UK ever punched above its weight is because it was the owner of the largest colonial empire in history. It is that legacy you are proudly defending.

Last edited:

Vitro

at what point do you have admit that your country was a mistake and should just be done with
That’s a slightly disingenuous quotation.

From the link you cited:

Based on our research, we argue that the evidence in favour of the claim is inconclusive at best. Among former colonies with laws like these, former British colonies do not seem to have decriminalised homosexual conduct any more slowly than colonies of other European states. This suggests that the “stickiness” of repressive institutions is relatively consistent across different countries and histories, and not specific to a particular type of colonialism.

Silva

That’s a slightly disingenuous quotation.

From the link you cited:
it's the illegality in the first place - these laws were most prominently spread by the British Empire, other empires did not have similarly impactful anti-gay efforts

In contrast with the British experience, the other major colonial powers did not leave such an institutional legacy on criminalisation of homosexual conduct. This is why former British colonies are far more likely to still have these laws in place than the former colonies of other European states or other states in general. Of the 72 countries with such a law still on the books in 2018, at least 38 of them were once subject to some sort of British colonial rule.

nickm

Ok, not sure there's much to argue about who was leading whom in Iraq after Blair's love letter to Bush was revealed.

But you're right, let's take a more nuanced view. There are indeed times post-WW2 when the UK has been at a slightly different place than the US.

1. Like the rest of Europe, it did not get involved with Vietnam. I am not sure if it punched above its weight since nothing changed, IIRC tiny Sweden had a more important diplomatic role.

2. There are a whole series of resolutions re Palestine/Israel where the US stands alone, with no European support, for Israel. The UK isn't punching above its weight since these aren't worth the paper they're written on. Its punching carries the same impact as Sri Lanka, India, Bangladesh, etc, all once parts of its empire. See also - Iran deal and US sanctions effectively isolating Iran with the EU (as yet) unable to change the situation, once again, UK punching very much in line with its weight.

3. In Libya, while the US was dithering, the US and France bravely took the lead and tranformed the dictatorship into the flourishing slave-market democracy that we see today. That is a genuine example of a moderate economy affecting world affairs, congrats to the UK.

4. In Egypt, alongside Israel and France, the UK waged war to prevent nationalisation of its ex-colonial holding. Opposed by both superpowers, truly punching well above its weight, impressive work by the UK.

This whole discussion is such a farce. The only reason the UK ever punched above its weight is because it was the owner of the largest colonial empire in history. It is that legacy you are proudly defending.
That’s again a remarkably simplistic way of looking at it. Our legacy is also in the international legal institutions that we helped establish. Our influence sprung partly from that too. Bemoaning the torching of our international relationships and our increasingly provincial worldview, isn’t about defending our colonial legacy.

RedChip

it's the illegality in the first place - these laws were most prominently spread by the British Empire, other empires did not have similarly impactful anti-gay efforts
Come on now. This is ridiculous. You have countries like Uganda, where being gay is only marginally better than being the devil. These former colonies have had decades to change the laws and they have not because in most cases anti-gay is consistent with local customs and culture. I think it spurious to blame the former colonial powers, British or otherwise.

Vitro

That’s true, however the researchers concluded that the British colonial experience did not make it harder/less likely that states would decriminalize homosexuality later on.

The quotation makes it sounds as if the opposite assertion is true.