Westminster Politics

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
How long do we think he will last? The make up of Parliament hasn't changed so I fail to see how anything changes on Brexit.

Unless he really does try to prorogue Parliament?

mitChley

I feel like I'm missing something about Hallam. It seems such an obvious place for the Greens to do well, given it's full of students and Sheffield is always talked about as one of the most environmentally minded cities. They never do, though.

I hope the Green bloke who was mayor and now an MEP can inspire something.

It should do an awful lot better than Nick Clegg and this bloke.
Yeah it's an odd one, I imagine the students will be more located around city ward now though. I imagine it'll swing back to Lib Dem next GE.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
On the massive plus side she's (a) pro remain, (b) not Corbyn (c) not Johnson. That's worth 4-5% in the polls I'd say.
Back to pre Cable polling numbers then.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Man on Newsnight said Liz Truss is rumoured to be chancellor.

I was convinced their was little humour to be found in Johnson being PM but I may be wrong.

EDIT -

Last edited:

Robert

First time engaging in a current events topic on the caf so let’s see how this goes down, here goes..

Feck boris and feck anyone that stands behind this ignorant racist buffoon. As a relatively young person (mid 20s) I’m ashamed and afraid of what my country is becoming before my very eyes. This whole brexit malarkey has been one big clusterfeck and to wind up with this mug now leading up the charge is just too bitter a pill to swallow. He’s literally a fecking idiot by anyone’s definition with a long list of cock ups and yet here he is in the highest office.

Going to take my skills and substantial tax to a different part of the world as soon as an opportunity presents itself. feck this place.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
First time engaging in a current events topic on the caf so let’s see how this goes down, here goes..

Feck boris and feck anyone that stands behind this ignorant racist buffoon. As a relatively young person (mid 20s) I’m ashamed and afraid of what my country is becoming before my very eyes. This whole brexit malarkey has been one big clusterfeck and to wind up with this mug now leading up the charge is just too bitter a pill to swallow. He’s literally a fecking idiot by anyone’s definition with a long list of cock ups and yet here he is in the highest office.

Going to take my skills and substantial tax to a different part of the world as soon as an opportunity presents itself. feck this place.
One of us. One of us.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

8/10

Lost points for the brag near the end.

Promising start though.

MadMike

Yes, I'm moving there. I know it has problems, but I think they will wise up before America.
Europe's a big, heterogeneous place. Where are you moving to? Many places far worse than the US.

Last edited:

Robert

One of us. One of us.
Pexbo :drool:

8/10

Lost points for the brag near the end.

Promising start though.
:lol::lol::lol: My bad, it wasn’t meant as a brag just was the only way I felt I could articulate my determination to take any stand I can against this fecking government.

It’s insignificant in the grand scheme (my money in this economy) but it’s more the notion of taking my future, my talents, my business, elsewhere so long as this country feels hostile to me. Again not meant as a brag. :angel:

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
I've had this fecking tagline for two years. Your words are nothing.
Count yourself lucky, if I was still an admin you'd have "wants to see her doing that creepy fecking smile whilst holding the red box" hanging over you for eternity!

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Outside of the brexit element, how does him winning effects the dynamics in Scotland and northern Ireland?
Had the feeling those parts view him as the worst representative of English exceptionalism that doesn't give a shit about the rest. Is my perception accurate or do most not differ between him and the English Tories in general? How does he get along with the DUP? @Cheesy @Ian Reus
He's drastically unpopular in Scotland, but then most Tory leaders would be and I'm not too sure he cares.

For Davidson, Mundell and other prominent long-term Tories he's a bit of a PR disaster: Davidson has made no qualms about the fact that she's opposed to him on a lot of things, and indeed her own attacks on him back during the 2016 referendum were among the strongest and most memorable. Nevertheless they've largely capitulated to him now and look pathetically impotent as a result; there is no wing of the party which supports Remain that can hope to hold power, and that's a problem for them. But at the same time they'll still tow the party line, and perhaps ironically, even if he's unpopular as a whole in Scotland, if he manages to dent the Brexit Party then he may actually help a few Scottish Tories hold their seats that would've otherwise gone SNP due to a split in the right-wing vote.

For Sturgeon it's an interesting one. She's largely been tentative on independence for a while because she knows that barring the UK government suddenly granting a referendum, there won't be a legally accepted second vote for a long time. The only option outside of that is to take drastic measures and go full UDI or similar, but the problem is that independence isn't really popular enough for that to be anything other than disastrous for a government who provided themselves on being moderate and level-headed alongside supporting independence. Similarly protests/strikes will have a minimal effect and will, if anything, alienate a portion of the population up here against independence in spite of Boris. But nevertheless his unpopularity will embolden the SNP/independence wings who want to see drastic measures taken in pursuit of a second referendum. Someone like Hunt may have been a blessing in disguise for her: corrosive and unpopular enough to continue eroding support for the union, but not drastic enough to force her hand, or all too different from what had gone before.

Will be interesting times ahead in that regard though. Inner party tensions in the Scottish Tories may be worth looking out for: Ross Thomson's alleged sexual harassment seems to have been firmly brushed under the carpet, and while he's even more odious than Boris as an individual he's young and ambitious and seems to be much more closely aligned to him than Davidson is.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Lid Dems are no Labour. Some of those votes are inline with their long standing Liberalist policies (namely, smaller government). It's a bit like bringing conservativism as an argument against the Tories.
The issue is that some Lib Dems and centrists seem to want people to ignore Swinson's record because it would be remarkably convenient for them to do so. But by all accounts she was on the right of the Lib Dems and didn't merely participate in the coalition out of compromise alone but largely agreed with Tory austerity, even if she wasn't for its worst elements.

That's a bit of a PR disaster for a party who are trying to pitch themselves to Labour voters. Even as someone who understands and sympathises with Labour defectors who want a strong party in opposition to Brexit, anyone who's left-wing probably shouldn't be voting Lib Dem.

Also probably worth considering the fact that Swinson's from Scotland...a lot of this is conjecture but I've heard a fair few people who've dealt with her at all say she's basically a liberal Tory who opted for the Lib Dems because they were a lot more electable in Scotland. Had she been an emerging politician down south she'd have probably been an actual Tory. That's not definitive or anything, but seems to be the general impression she gives across.

But the fact that some people are taking any criticism of her as some highly coordinated and unusual attack is quite telling. It's standard for political parties to employ spin against their opponents and I'm not sure why this should be any different here for the SNP or Labour. There seems to be this tendency to build her into some rising star as well when the substance of her speeches/writings are incredibly lightweight. I'm no great fan of Clegg, but I'd argue he was a far more substantive politician in articulating his thoughts/opinions than Swinson is. She wrote a piece in The Scotsman a week or so back and what was remarkable was how...dull it was, and how she just seemed to entirely miss the national atmosphere at the moment that's prevailing.

Fluctuation0161

I think it's all hilarious.

Doesn't matter who's in charge, country has been a joke for a long time.

Might aswell go down memorably and hilariously.

I don't think he will do too bad a job anyway, atleast he has the balls to change things up.
What's hilarious is you think Boris Johnson has "balls". :lol:

He's a self serving chameleon with no principles.

Fluctuation0161

The main reason was under a more liberal Conservative party that believed in making something of yourself. Aspiration, hard work!

I always found the Labour Party, particularly under Corbyn, a party of the magic money tree.
Yet spending has been increasing under the last 9 years of Conservative rule. Mainly because they reduced corporation tax for businesses and allow tax avoidance.

I guess you've not looked into it and just fall for catchphrases?

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We now have a Prime Minister who would be sacked from almost any job any of us do due either to incompetence or self serving destructiveness.

It's ok though because it's not like there's anything important that needs sorting out.

Well done Tories.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea

Come to Germany ;-)