Westminster Politics

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
We have no culture in this country of rich people giving to charity (unless it's a tax dodge). We have a pretty big one of poor people doing so, thankfully.
There is a handful of rich people out there who'll dip into their pockets...but the problem with that is that we only see those who do give to charity, and so then assume a lot more do than don't as a result, because we don't realise how many rich cnuts there are out there who aren't well-known celebrities and who keep themselves out of the spotlight.

Remember reading a decent article about how big a thing this is in the US. The likes of Bill Gates create a culture where we see billionaires as fairly benevolent liberal types who give back to society. But the reality is that there are a lot in the background who keep a low profile and spend their time actively lobbying for unnecessary tax breaks to further enrich themselves at the expense of the wider population. We just never hear about them because they keep away from the media.

RedChip

Stat plucked out the air.
I think so too.
Some billionnaires like Hans Rausing apparently give/gave away billions. I would have thought even just a small number of them giving that much would bump the average up.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ffs... Momentum rolling up to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory
Momentum really do just need to feck off. They're not the Labour Party so they should just split and create their own party instead of creating this partisan, obstructionist, damaging bullshit.

Sweet Square

Momentum really do just need to feck off. They're not the Labour Party so they should just split and create their own party instead of creating this partisan, obstructionist, damaging bullshit.
yeah feck those guys for wanting......er.........more democracy.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
yeah feck those guys for wanting......er.........more democracy.
It's created a divide within the Labour Party - granted for the New Labour twats but regardless it leaves a bigger opening for the Tories if votes are going to be split.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Wow, Mann is the MP from my families constituency back home. I hate his Brexit stance but he’s supposedly a decent guy who spends a lot of time visiting constituents including my folks. Can’t believe he’s jumping ship to work with this Tory party, that’s outrageous and a slap in the face to the people of that area. It’s been a Labour seat since 1929 ffs.

Particularly dumb considering this government may be out of office in just a month or so, and then he’ll have burned his reputation for absolutely nothing.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
It's created a divide within the Labour Party - granted for the New Labour twats but regardless it leaves a bigger opening for the Tories if votes are going to be split.
Surely different wings of political parties need different groups to advance their own interests though? If the New Labour wings have Progress and the like, only makes sense for the left-wing to have a strong advocacy group. Even if Momentum are far from perfect.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Surely different wings of political parties need different groups to advance their own interests though? If the New Labour wings have Progress and the like, only makes sense for the left-wing to have a strong advocacy group. Even if Momentum are far from perfect.
Unlike Progress which has been running, without 99% of the people who scream about Momentum giving the tiniest shit, since 1996.
Oh, I know about Progress and, to be honest, feck them. My point is and always will be that divides within the party itself can damage their chances come election. I know it's a "no shit Sherlock" statement to make, but this is me we're talking about here.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Wow, Mann is the MP from my families constituency back home. I hate his Brexit stance but he’s supposedly a decent guy who spends a lot of time visiting constituents including my folks. Can’t believe he’s jumping ship to work with this Tory party, that’s outrageous and a slap in the face to the people of that area. It’s been a Labour seat since 1929 ffs.

Particularly dumb considering this government may be out of office in just a month or so, and then he’ll have burned his reputation for absolutely nothing.
It’s really unfair that the new left keep accusing long standing members of the Labour Party of being “Tories” just because they.....er.... join the Tory party?

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Anti-semitism tsar is an unfortunate title.

Smores

Oh, I know about Progress and, to be honest, feck them. My point is and always will be that divides within the party itself can damage their chances come election. I know it's a "no shit Sherlock" statement to make, but this is me we're talking about here.
If you have a broad church party then you're going to get groups form to represent and push their own interests. The pushback is only because the lefts version is open to all rather than MPs and special interests like Progress.

Again though this story seems to have little to do with momentum aside from their support for lessening the threshold from half to a third. I read it was brexiteer wards that triggered it. I imagine she'll win but opening it up to democracy rather than this tenure like approach of a seat for life is not outrageous.