Westminster Politics

pacifictheme

Cummings is going nowhere. This will blow over and be forgotten because we need to get brexit done (tm).

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
When you see what Trump has gotten away with this is really small potatoes. They don't give a feck.

What are you gonna do about it anyway?

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Boris has been absolutely dreadful here. Will be fascinating if his poll ratings drop after this. Feels like a ‘moment’.
All depends on how many leavers can get separate their emotional gratification for BrExit and with their rage for flouting lockdown rules.

I think there will be enough for a massive majority to hate Cummings for this.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Who and how will he be removed?
With no Brexit to unite them, the Tory party will begin to bicker and pull in different directions once Brexit is no longer the focus of all discussions.

EwanI Ted

Crazy argument from Johnson that. The “fathers instinct” line implies that a) he did break the rules and so undermines his own argument that he didn’t and b) implies all parents who let their kids have a hard time by following the rules are bad parents. Bizarre decision to run with that. Labour must be delighted, this looks like it’ll run til PMQs.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Fecking hypocrites, can't say I'm surprised.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Crazy argument from Johnson that. The “fathers instinct” line implies that a) he did break the rules and so undermines his own argument that he didn’t and b) implies all parents who let their kids have a hard time by following the rules are bad parents. Bizarre decision to run with that. Labour must be delighted, this looks like it’ll run til PMQs.
Unfortunately, no PMQs this week.

DavidDeSchmikes

And whilst the Cummings story dominates, the care home crisis and the tragic death toll just becomes a footnote in the media headlines

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
The press were woefully unprepared for this briefing. Fairly crap questions, not concise enough.

Peston is a fecking shambles.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Especially rich coming from Johnson, who has all the fatherly instinct of a randy gelada monkey.

Brownie85

Mes que un muppet!
Official Civil Service account:

Well... someone is getting their P45 tomorrow haha.
Shows just how serious this is going to become.

Then again, how long before the "this account was hacked" statements start to come out

Acole9

Outstanding
This is not over, Cummings will go and Johnson must go too. Time to bring an end to that shithouse party for good.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Honestly cannot believe the brass neck of Johnson. Useless cnut would be less damaging if he was still in his hospital bed. And don’t fecking reply saying I have made an inappropriate comment. Tell that to all the poor people who’ve lost loved ones because of the bungled policy and behaviour from this government.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
The only surprising thing about any of this, is the number of surprised people in this thread. Did you guys really think Boris was going to sack Cummings?

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
The telling thing in that interview I believe was Johnson's palpable irritation. It's quite clear he knew that he was on the wrong side of the argument, and he recognised the absurdity of the position he has been compelled to adopt due to the hubris and misjudgement of his puppet-master. That's why he was so irritated at the questions and any attempts to follow up, because he knows his bluster can only hold for so long. Any serious scrutiny and it will be exposed so he cannot permit it to happen.

I think the press conference will backfire, too. I fail to see how that will win over people to the side of Cummings, and that is what Johnson needed to do, because it's evident they are on the backfoot when it comes to the opinion of the majority of the public and the media. The arrogance and failure to engage with the details will enrage the journalists and ensure they pursue this until they get answers. I've never seen such a unanimity of opinion across the political spectrum, certainly not in recent years, as to the moral corruptness of the government's present position.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Honestly cannot believe the brass neck of Johnson. Useless cnut would be less damaging if he was still in his hospital bed. And don’t fecking reply saying I have made an inappropriate comment. Tell that to all the poor people who’ve lost loved ones because of the bungled policy and behaviour from this government.
I might have been inclined to say I wish he had died but would never utter such a thing for fear of a ban.

Kaos

Not surprised in the slightest. I can see millions using this as a cue to no longer bother with the lockdown.

The depressing thing is this will all be forgotten in 4 years.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The telling thing in that interview I believe was Johnson's palpable irritation. It's quite clear he knew that he was on the wrong side of the argument, and he recognised the absurdity of the position he has been compelled to adopt due to the hubris and misjudgement of his puppet-master. That's why he was so irritated at the questions and any attempts to follow up, because he knows his bluster can only hold for so long. Any serious scrutiny and it will be exposed so he cannot permit it to happen.

I think the press conference will backfire, too. I fail to see how that will win over people to the side of Cummings, and that is what Johnson needed to do, because it's evident they are on the backfoot when it comes to the opinion of the majority of the public and the media. The arrogance and failure to engage with the details will enrage the journalists and ensure they pursue this until they get answers. I've never seen such a unanimity of opinion across the political spectrum, certainly not in recent years, as to the moral corruptness of the government's present position.
I think you are being way too kind to Boris. He’s pissed off because he’s a self serving twat.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
You also have to laugh at the temerity of Johnson to talk about 'fatherly instinct' when this is the bloke who has been observing social distancing rules in regards to his own children even prior to the present pandemic.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I think you are being way too kind to Boris. He’s pissed off because he’s a self serving twat.
Ha, that too. Believe me, I do not intend for my assessment to be taken as some sort of sympathetic reading of Johnson. It's the fact he's in the firing line for someone else's actions, and he resents it. That's how I viewed it anyway. He comes from a position and background where he cannot fathom why he should be accountable to the common person for his own actions, so being in this position for someone else must be particularly grating.