Westminster Politics

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
He'd better handle the press with respect, or they'll do for him (as PM, that is).

ThierryHenry

wishes he could watch Arsenal games with KM
No signs he’s sacking him at present, so I wouldn’t call this press conference a crunch moment. He might end up having to go but I don’t see it being today.
Yup. As you say above, an inquiry makes the most sense. Boris will pass on ownership of any decisions on Cummings to a third party and the sting of the story will dial down.

I hope I’m wrong, but I don’t see Boris going on live telly to sack or defend Cummings. Either seem too dangerous of tactics after the latest stories combined with the cabinet being forced to spend the weekend defending him.

Tibs

Boris coming out of hiding....he's going to announce that he's sacked the cnut.

I hope anyway

SteveJ

Scout
Boris coming out of hiding....he's going to announce that he's sacked the cnut.
I don't think so, not when he could sack Cummings quietly, unlike today when there's a set of reporters with awkward questions lying in wait.

SteveJ

Scout
Dep. Ed. of the Times:

'Boris Johnson is *not* expected to announce an independent inquiry into Dominic Cummings and whether he broke the lockdown rules at presser this evening.

Sounds very much like he is going to stick to Govt line and defend his man - we'll know in just under an hour.'

Last edited:

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Cummings.

Sir Keir isn't a danger to public health. Being one of those would require doing something.
:lol:
I’ve been curious reader the Starmer thread, who labour supporters hate the most, the Tories or the other labour faction. I guess the jury is out

Tibs

Expecting Laura K to get a question where she will probably ask a question on when we will get the next update on lock down

SteveJ

Scout
He'll have to get his tone just right if he's going to 'stand by' DC in this conference. If he talks of press hounding or conspiracy, or is critical of the public's reaction to the scandal, he's doomed.

SteveJ

Scout
'Sources say PM continues to support Dominic Cummings'

Translation: 'Cummings says Cummings continues to support Cummings'.

ThierryHenry

If he publicly defends Cummings... wow. I just don’t believe he’s that dumb. Or stupidly over-confident.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Will be interesting to see how he would intend to push that line without making things worse.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Just a couple of retweets from Kuennsberg today... Turns out must not be anything important happening.
Compare and contrast to the eight minutes it took her to directly reply to a journalists’s report in order to act as the proxy for Cummings’ rebuttal.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
So basically if you can somehow predict how sick you might get in the future, you can go visit people? Cos that's noble and shit innit.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Feck off Boris, you massive twat.

Basically do what you want time now.
Yeah, they're going full Trump. Knows the media on the whole won't go against him and frankly, doesn't care about the one or two papers that do. Going to get even worse from here.

Boris you cnut. I can’t believe this.
I can.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
It's not over. The pressure will mount.

ThierryHenry

Shameful that he called the reporting ‘palpably false’. Absolutely shameful to see them going down the fake news route.

Will the rest of the press turn on him for this?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
This doesn’t address the second and possibly other subsequent trips.
Hopefully the mirror is sitting on more information or something else will transpire with all the publicity that this is getting. i.e more witnesses coming forward.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
Apparently it was alright to leave your first home and travel across the country to another property after all. Should stay more alert.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Beyond getting brexit done I don’t see what else Boris has to offer. His mandate was paper thin. I dint see him lasting