Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Genuinely believe that Boris has compromised his entire premiership here. He’s lost all authority. He can’t possibly ask what he needs to ask of the public any longer.

King Eric 7

Wash your hands, clap for carers, do as they say not as they do. We all know our place. Thank you Boris, very helpful responses.

Fingeredmouse

What don’t I get?

perhaps you don’t get it and I just disagree with you.

care to elaborate?
You can disagree and "get it".

So, to be clear, this is Mr. Cumming's position:

I and my wife were unwell, likely both with CV19. I was concerned that this would result in a situation where we could not care for my child. I did not want to pass a potentially fatal illness to my wife's brother and sister who live close by in London. However, my 17 year old niece in Durham 260 miles away had offered to help. We felt her life was more expendable and the fact she resided on an opulent estate simply made this already convenient solution more so. We then made this journey in direct contravention of Government advice and I then returned to London to work also in direct contravention of Government advice. This is of course Government advice I was one of the prime architects of and has caused distress and suffering the country across as we attempted to control the outbreak of CV19. This is also Government advice that resulted in the resignation of Neil Ferguson, another architect of Government policy, for a lesser breach . Oh, and also, to test my eyesight I drove with my wife and child who I have already established the welfare of is of paramount importance, coincidentally on her birthday. I will then suggest that the Government advice did not relate to my circumstances, even though I was one of it's chief architects and suggest that the media are being unfair to me as I refuse to concede any wrong doing.

You're cool with all of this it seems. Most people aren't. You can "get" why I assume, whilst disagreeing?

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
'Just using my discretion Officer, you know, like Dom did.'
Well the attorney General for England and Wales publicly supported cummings so that's as good of a get out of jail card as any.

Drawfull

He’s stonewalling every question.
He refused to expand on his conference and refused to offer unconditional backing. Cummings is done.

He is asked why, if Cummings was unsure whether or not he was fit to subsequently drive back to London, his wife did not take the wheel instead.

Johnson says they are good questions but claims that, because Cummings has answered a lot of questions already, he will not add anything substantial. Johnson says:

People will have to make their minds up.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He refused to expand on his conference and refused to offer unconditional backing. Cummings is done.

He is asked why, if Cummings was unsure whether or not he was fit to subsequently drive back to London, his wife did not take the wheel instead.

Johnson says they are good questions but claims that, because Cummings has answered a lot of questions already, he will not add anything substantial. Johnson says:
I’d wager good money that Cummings won’t be sacked.

Paxi

He said corona does seem bad for your eyes, so what the 'test drive' was ok?
Conjunctivitis seems to be one of symptoms. Needless to say, one doesn't need a 30 minute trip to a beauty spot to find out if its cleared up or not. This is worse than Andrew's I do not sweat excuse or at least as bizarre.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And like that...he was gone.

TheReligion

Abusive
you’ve just asked me to get back to you and quoted my own post.

I must be missing something.
You ignored the other one.

I said it matters if his wife drives as if she does why didn't she take the wheel instead of him driving the family 30 miles to a beauty spot to test his impaired vision?

The whole thing is bollocks let's be honest.

Paxi

How about we all don't start acting like cocks just because Cummings did? We are better than that.
What would you say to a person whom you stopped for breaking the rules and then they cited attorney general's support for man who broken the very same rules?

nme_pro

Fresh from newbieville
Watched the Cumming's conference and it massively reminded me of Arnie Vinnick in the last season of West Wing. Stay out there until you've taken and exhausted every question, so you can put it behind you. Looks like that was confounded by the "time to move on rhetoric" that was plastered all over twitter by Tory MPs, and Boris' refusal to get into it.

Although in the make believe TV show, it was done with good intentions and conducted with make believe honesty, rather than driving a car for an hour to see if your eyes worked.

DVG7

The UK is completely and utterly fecked. Has been for a long time. Pathetic leadership, and a public all too willing to be repeatedly bent over. Complete laughing stock to serious nations.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Yeah, he won't answer any questions about Cummings. Nobody will. They'll all say "he's already answered questions". The problem being that those questions came before his excuses that are all clearly bullshit.

SteveJ

Scout
Times' Esther Webber: "Initial feedback from Tory MPs on the Cummings statement is... not encouraging."

TheReligion

Abusive
What would you say to a person whom you stopped for breaking the rules and then they cited attorney general's support for man who broken the very same rules?
Probably nothing really although I'd think they were a bit of a twat.

That's the point isn't it. Those who just go "Cummings has done it so I'll do what I want" are the same as him. The point is you have to be better than that surely instead of already trying to think of ways to get around things.

Early in the lockdown one guy was sat about and told me he was exercising. He then started pumping his fists and said grip strength. Why bother being a dick head? I don't get it.

Drifter

American
The UK is completely and utterly fecked. Has been for a long time. Pathetic leadership, and a public all too willing to be repeatedly bent over. Complete laughing stock to serious nations.
But compared to America.

arnie_ni

And yet he clearly stated that he was going back to London to arrange child care.
The point he was making was that was After the had isolated for 14 days and based on science shouldnt have been able to pass it on.

SteveJ

Scout
Sensible stuff from my local 'paper's comments section:

'Remember when Princess Leia says to Grand Moff Tarkin that the more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers? Tarkin replies that fear of the Death Star ensures compliance. That's what happening now. That's what the government wants.'

DVG7

But compared to America.
both of them are as bad as each other. America doesn’t have to leave the European Union once all of this is done.UK was already heading for the biggest figurative car crash in its history with brexit, Covid added a couple of thousand lorries to the pile up.