Westminster Politics

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
it’s quite difficult to know what I “don’t get” without you stating what it is, so thanks for now elaborating.

it’s pretty difficult to read one massive paragraph for a start, to accept my apologies in not reading in detail a massive block of text.

Do I see anything wrong in travelling to Durham in those circumstances, and if they don’t have other child care option - no.

do I see anything wrong in him picking up his child from hospital, who got taken awayin an ambulance - no.

is the story about his eyesight and the need for a test drive as fishy as hell - yes.

is this something the media and government should be focusing on and dedicating days to get to the bottom of - no.

is every political opponent jumping on this and making it more of a story to gain politically - obviously yes (as always happens in opposition).
You’re boring.
You enjoy being governed by a ruling class
You voted for terrible humans
You’re probably a garbage person.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Dom-estic abuse.
I can't help thinking about John Profumo, Steve. He resigned for lying to the House - but of course, went on to have a very honourable life and worked for charity as a volunteer for the rest of his days. Compared to this whining muppet, we've gone a million miles backwards as far as political integrity is concerned.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Asked if he stopped for petrol, he said probably but could not be sure.

Assuming he left London with a full tank, he drove to Durham, plus an ‘eye test‘ jolly at Barnard Castle. What fecking car can do 580 miles without refuelling?

He obviously stopped for fuel, so why the loss of memory?
He definitely stated that he did not stop on the way to Durham.
Anyway. If he did stop for fuel on the way back, he should have used his card.
So that can be easily checked.

But that is a slideshow.
Was his London home a target. There must be evidence of this.

Why did a senior government official not have emergency child care support in a city the size of London.

Why did he have to drive 30 miles with his son to 'test his eyesight'.

Come on. He had weeks to come up with a better story than that.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
I know we're bad but we don't have our politicians saying this whole thing is a Democratic plot and that we should inject bleach, refuse to wear masks and storm government buildings to demand they let us go back to work.
If Cummings was part of the US government he'd be sacked, though. Or at the very least they'd have clarified they didn't think he was doing anything wrong at the time he did it.

Stupdity is one thing but stupidity with a complete lack of any integrity is quite something else. Trump comes out and tells the world he's a clown. Our lot dress as responsible adults and then only reveal they're clowns once people have followed their advice and thrown themselves off the cliff.

Classical Mechanic

I can't help thinking about John Profumo, Steve. He resigned for lying to the House - but of course, went on to have a very honourable life and worked for charity as a volunteer for the rest of his days. Compared to this whining muppet, we've gone a million miles backwards as far as political integrity is concerned.
Not sure about that, you had guys like Cyril Smith who was a paedophile and serial rapist who did things like lying to parliament to cover up the dangers of asbestos at the world‘s biggest asbestos factory in Rochdale.

I‘d argue they were a lot worse then in many regards because they could get away with nefarious deeds more easily.

You’re boring.
You enjoy being governed by a ruling class
You voted for terrible humans
You’re probably a garbage person.
Garbage person :lol::lol:

let’s just remember the choice we had when we last voted, the alternative being a Corbyn led government.

Somewhat brush to call everyone who voted for the largest party a garbage person (whatever that may be!).

Wilt

He definitely stated that he did not stop on the way to Durham.
Anyway. If he did stop for fuel on the way back, he should have used his card.
So that can be easily checked.

But that is a slideshow.
Was his London home a target. There must be evidence of this.

Why did a senior government official not have emergency child care support in a city the size of London.

Why did he have to drive 30 miles with his son to 'test his eyesight'.

Come on. He had weeks to come up with a better story than that.
I think it weird that he could not be sure if he stopped for fuel, why lie about it?

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
And, typically, it was (apparently) the women who were immoral.
Seriously, little changes in Britain, and it's been like this for centuries.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Was this eyesight test drive thing a big old Trumpian style distraction?

Give everyone something so ridiculous to run with so we ignore the fundamental issues at the heart of his story? Now I’ve digested it a bit it just feels too constructed. They’ve had over 48 hours to get this story sorted and the excuse they come up with was “eyesight”.

Dan_F

Asked if he stopped for petrol, he said probably but could not be sure.

Assuming he left London with a full tank, he drove to Durham, plus an ‘eye test‘ jolly at Barnard Castle. What fecking car can do 580 miles without refuelling?

He obviously stopped for fuel, so why the loss of memory?
Mine. But then again, I doubt he has a Mondeo estate (lay off me, it’s a company car).

There must be so many families where both parents had the disease at a similar time. How does he think they’ve all managed it.

Fluctuation0161

Garbage person :lol::lol:

let’s just remember the choice we had when we last voted, the alternative being a Corbyn led government.

Somewhat brush to call everyone who voted for the largest party a garbage person (whatever that may be!).
Would love to have heard your opinion if Corbyn had won the election and his chief advisor conducted himself the exact same way as Cummings did. Food for thought? Your tribalism is very transparent.

SteveJ

Scout
Johnson: "To the best of my knowledge, Mr Cummings has just subjected himself to your interrogation for quite a long time now"

'Interrogation'. They're the victims, folks. Who knew?

Would love to have heard your opinion if Corbyn had won the election and his chief advisor conducted himself the exact same way as Cummings did. Food for thought? Your tribalism is very transparent.
well I can’t answer a hypothetical question - so it doesn’t matter.

i’m really not tribal, and it’s good to have an opposing perspective - that’s why I post here and not on www.RightWingToryLovers.co.uk

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If 60k+ had died under Corbyn and all this happened, imagine what the narrative would be in this country.

buchansleftleg

If you were a senior official in government who was concerned about possible attacks on your home do you....

a) phone Downing street security team and ask for Police protection detail or

b) leave quietly one evening, telling noone where you are going, fill up your car and drive for nearly 5 hours with no stops to accommodate the bladder of a 4 year old child or

c) read the latest report about Hospitals in London reaching crisis point and potentially collapsing and decide you are too chicken to be around when things hit the fan so you are going somewhere you know you can get treatment if you get it as bad as Boris has....even though we are telling the country he is still ok.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Good stuff. That'd be a very common number of sentences in those book things you obnoxiously suggested I look at earlier.

To follow the spirit of your line of questioning regarding distances travelled earlier: how many lines would you consider to not be massive? 19? 12? 8? Or would it simply be whatever length of paragraph Dominic Cummings happened to use that would just the right length of paragraph to avoid the wrath of your partizan belligerent pedantry?
What a reply this was! Best comment I’ve seen this month!

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

Give everyone something so ridiculous to run with so we ignore the fundamental issues at the heart of his story? Now I’ve digested it a bit it just feels too constructed. They’ve had over 48 hours to get this story sorted and the excuse they come up with was “eyesight”.
Probably. That trip breaks lockdown rules no matter how he spins it the second he and his family leave the car. Witnesses and police are investigating so he has to admit that trip happened. Thus he admits it but fabricates a farcical excuse so the focus is on that rather than the more pertinent matter which is he has just conceded he broke the lockdown rules, but he dresses it up as ‘kid needing toilet’ and ‘we observed social distancing at all times’ to make it appear reasonable. The ‘I thought I was blind’ excuse obfuscates the transgression that’s really at the heart of the matter here.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Mine. But then again, I doubt he has a Mondeo estate (lay off me, it’s a company car).

There must be so many families where both parents had the disease at a similar time. How does he think they’ve all managed it.
Think he has a landrover discovery
Tank is 90 litres I believe on the new model... so just under 20 gallons... it gets a little over 30mpg on long runs apparently
So I'd guess his car in theory could do that run on one tank

Fingeredmouse

well I can’t answer a hypothetical question - so it doesn’t matter.

i’m really not tribal, and it’s good to have an opposing perspective - that’s why I post here and not on www.RightWingToryLovers.co.uk
Deliberately taking a pedantic and contrarian stance isn't really in the spirit of that though, is it?

It may well be that you genuinely consider Cummings to have done nothing wrong and that this is an unimportant matter.

However, you must understand that people are very annoyed that one of the prime architects of the Government's lockdown policy has flagrantly and unapologetically breached the guidelines whilst the populace sacrificed an enormous amount including in similar circumstances.

To pretend that you don't is unlikely to lead to you being seen as taking a reasonable position.

Also, you can answer a hypothetical question. You choose not to : surely the answer must be that with all other facts being consistent save the individuals concerned being Corbyn, or equivalent, and family your view would be the same. If not, then there can only be one reason why not.

Deliberately taking a pedantic and contrarian stance isn't really in the spirit of that though, is it?

It may well be that you genuinely consider Cummings to have done nothing wrong and that this is an unimportant matter.

However, you must understand that people are very annoyed that one of the prime architects of the Government's lockdown policy has flagrantly and unapologetically breached the guidelines whilst the populace sacrificed an enormous amount including in similar circumstances.

To pretend that you don't is unlikely to lead to you being seen as taking a reasonable position.

Also, you can answer a hypothetical question. You choose not to : surely the answer must be that with all other facts being consistent save the individuals concerned being Corbyn, or equivalent, and family your view would be the same. If not, then there can only be one reason why not.
the point about a hypothetical question, is any answer I give you would be declared nonsense.

if the only difference was that Cummings worked for a labour government, then my stance and opinion would be exactly the same.

do you believe me?

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
The two "defences" I've mainly seen to this are:

1. the "now can we move on?" kind of thing, which is pretty arrogant thing to say when it's clear that people are (justifiably) very upset /angered by this and by the continued lies/contempt coming out of Downing Street.

2. Showing pictures of journalists crowding him /other people not social distracting and saying "WHAT ABOUT THEM?!"...which is pretty ludicrous as we should expect our rule setters / politicians to hold themselves to a higher standard... Much like how a policeman committing a minor crime would look worse then just a regular person doing so.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead

Some digging done on Cummings' matter of fact statement about having written about the threat of Coronavirus (spoiler: he lied).

SteveJ

Scout

:lol: Number 8:
8. When you can't see anything you go for a 30 mile drive to test your eyesight. This tends to make your son want to piss himself, which is quite understandable.

GloryHunter07

Its worse than that, the guardian and Mirror were onto this weeks ago but Downing St has been obfuscating in the hope that this goes away.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Sadly, whilst I appreciate the idea of the opposition all coming together on this issue, I fail to see what impact they could have.
Yeah. With an 80-seat majority, this was for the media to hold their feet to the fire.