Westminster Politics

Smores

Are they really that stupid? That people are just going to forget the utter shambles that has occurred because they are going to deliver brexit? Also, the 'strong man' message surely won't be received well considering how weak he has been in his decision making
They mean anti-eu slogans that will blame the EU for the resulting no deal. Anti-EU messaging always work with the British public without fail.

I'd like to think our journalists would speak truth to power and point out why it's bollocks but with facts being subjective these days they don't want to be seen as breaking impartiality. Best to stick to reporting 'facts' straight from a No 10 source.

EwanI Ted

They mean anti-eu slogans that will blame the EU for the resulting no deal. Anti-EU messaging always work with the British public without fail.

I'd like to think our journalists would speak truth to power and point out why it's bollocks but with facts being subjective these days they don't want to be seen as breaking impartiality. Best to stick to reporting 'facts' straight from a No 10 source.
No-one is going to turn pro-EU in the last couple of months, I agree with that certainly. However I do think that a lot of the strong sentiment about Brexit might turn out to be spent. Leavers dont care about no deal and remainers can't influence the outcome, so neither side is likely to reach the white heat of last year. The Tories will certainly be more comfortable talking about Brexit but I dont see it replacing coronavirus as the dominant political narrative any time soon.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The Independent said:
Brexit: Food prices 'may go up' after no-deal, Michael Gove admits
Oh...how surprising. And in 'Rip-off Britain' of all places...

Dan_F

Oh brilliant. Let’s distract with some anti immigration and bigotry.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City

We already knew this was the case but it's another piece of evidence for when the government wants to pretend it never pursued such a senseless and costly approach to dealing with the virus.

F-Red

We already knew this was the case but it's another piece of evidence for when the government wants to pretend it never pursued such a senseless and costly approach to dealing with the virus.
I think it's widely acknowledged that lockdown was to protect capacity in hospitals, not because of any radical way by Johnson to eradicate the disease. The Italian health minister isn't giving us any new news unfortunately.

Flying high

3: Told us 113 people died the day lockdown was relaxed

4: It was actually 556, the highest for a month

Has this been confirmed now? Last I heard, it wasn't clear when the extra 400+ were from.

Flying high

It's a shame PM Cummings wasn't pressed on this when he denied the herd immunity accusation at his press conference. I doubt he'll let himself get grilled like that again.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!

Has this been confirmed now? Last I heard, it wasn't clear when the extra 400+ were from.
From the Guardian's live text yesterday:

PA Media has obtained an explanation as to why today’s UK coronavirus death figures and yesterday’s don’t appear to add up. (See 5.55pm.) It reports.

The number of people in the UK who have died after testing positive for Covid-19 is 556 higher than the equivalent total announced yesterday, although the government is reporting the day-on-day change as 111.
The reason for the difference in these two figures is to do with how deaths are being incorporated into historic data retrospectively.
Yesterday’s cumulative total announced by the Department of Health was 38,489, which is 556 below today’s cumulative total of 39,045.
But since yesterday, 445 deaths have been added to the historic data.
These additional deaths are linked to cases that have been identified through testing that has been carried out by commercial partners, rather than testing that has been done in NHS and Public Health England laboratories.
Rather than include these 445 deaths in today’s increase, the Department of Health has incorporated them within the previous cumulative total, to create a notional total for yesterday of 38,934 (38,489 + 445).
The difference between this notional total of 38,934 and today’s total of 39,045 is 111, and this is the one being reported by the government.
UPDATE: And here is the explanation from the Department for Health and Social Care. A spokesperson said:

A further change to the reporting process was introduced on 1 June 2020 and affected data from 24 May onwards. Deaths linked to cases identified through ‘pillar 2’ testing (see ‘Total and daily UK cases’ section on this page) are included as well as ‘pillar 1’ cases. All deaths before 24 May 2020 of people who tested positive through ‘pillar 2’ testing are included in the reported daily figure for 24 May 2020.
This change resulted in an additional 445 deaths being included (as at 1 June 2020).

SteveJ

Scout

It's because of the way they are presenting figures to the public. They have a history of manipulation of such 'inconvenient' figures - for example, during Mrs Thatcher's years as PM, Mr Bert Skateboard of Wigan was the only unemployed person in Britain, according to the government of the time.

Flying high

From the Guardian's live text yesterday:
Thanks. But it's still not really clear. One could assume that these deaths therefore, should be spread roughly equally across the given time frame. But given that figures are being manipulated to suit a narrative, that assumption feels unsafe.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
So today Mogg has forced MP’s to vote in person (a 40m queue stretching across the road from Westminster into Portcullis House) on whether to end remote voting. Thus ensuring that MP’s who are shielding cannot vote..

Unsurprisingly the vote was won, this ending remote voting ensuring the disenfranchisement of vulnerable MP’s will continue. Although they now have to have a second vote on procedure that will require them all to queue again..

Only in Britain..

SteveJ

Scout
So today Mogg has forced MP’s to vote in person (a 40m queue stretching across the road from Westminster into Portcullis House) on whether to end remote voting. Thus ensuring that MP’s who are shielding cannot vote..

Only in Britain..
Those MPs criticising the move should've joined together and refused to attend, and so force JRM to abandon the idea...not moan on Twitter about doing the queuing the rest of us have had to tolerate for weeks.

vodrake

Unsurprisingly the vote was won, this ending remote voting ensuring the disenfranchisement of vulnerable MP’s will continue. Although they now have to have a second vote on procedure that will require them all to queue again..

Only in Britain..
Hundreds of thousands of voters now completely disenfranchised and without representation due to their MP being required to shield by the governments own rules

British democracy

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Those MPs criticising the move should've joined together and refused to attend, and so force JRM to abandon the idea...not moan on Twitter about doing the queuing the rest of us have had to tolerate for weeks.
Why would he abandon the idea? He’d have just won with an even bigger majority.

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Hundreds of thousands of voters now completely disenfranchised and without representation due to their MP being required to shield by the governments own rules

British democracy

Has somebody done a calculation that shows that those who can't be present are good for the cons to be out of Parliament?

Ubik

Has somebody done a calculation that shows that those who can't be present are good for the cons to be out of Parliament?
I don't think it's so much about that as the Tories have such a majority, it's more that Rees-Mogg thinks of democracy in a performative public schoolboy way, and that the Tories need their jeering backbenchers back at PMQs.

SteveJ

Scout
Why would he abandon the idea? He’d have just won with an even bigger majority.
I hadn't thought of that.
Silly me, I expected MPs to consider the bigger picture.

Ubik

The vote has actually gone to show how chaotic and dumb the process is, highlighted 25+ Tory rebels and didn't give Rees-Mogg the opportunity to say MPs weren't doing their job. It hopefully won't last much longer.

jeff_goldblum

I don't think it's so much about that as the Tories have such a majority, it's more that Rees-Mogg thinks of democracy in a performative public schoolboy way, and that the Tories need their jeering backbenchers back at PMQs.
His stance on this is basically a perfect encapsulation of old-fashioned Conservatism - the belief that 'the old ways' have so much intrinsic value that upholding them is more important than society actually working.

Silva

i'd hate to be one of the people who really believed a conservative PM known for his hedonism having the rona will make him more compassionate rather than going "sweeeeeeet i can't get it anymore"

decorativeed

You never know, this may just lead to a slew of by-elections. After this, anything could happen.

Smores

The "we need to lead by example" is the terrible line they were told to spin to the media on this.

So employers should presumably discriminate against those shielding and purposefully remove effective safeguards put in place for covid? Madness

I suppose on the positive side it's nice to see them doing something incompetent rather than just evil for a change.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
i'd hate to be one of the people who really believed a conservative PM known for his hedonism having the rona will make him more compassionate rather than going "sweeeeeeet i can't get it anymore"
It wasn’t even the most absurd idea, the worst was that having his 5/6/7/8th kid to ignore would prompt some sort of Damascene conversion from a feckless cnut to doting, compassionate father.

And, we can only imagine how the press would have treated a woman MP mothering another child to her married lover, and considered her inability to give a straightforward answer to the number of kids she has as merely a quirk of character.

Fluctuation0161

When this is over there will be a large body of evidence documenting the UK governments gross negligence in how they dealt with covid.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The "we need to lead by example" is the terrible line they were told to spin to the media on this.

So employers should presumably discriminate against those shielding and purposefully remove effective safeguards put in place for covid? Madness

I suppose on the positive side it's nice to see them doing something incompetent rather than just evil for a change.
Amazing they can say this and keep a straight face after the utter shambles BoJo and his evil bunch of clowns have inflicted on the UK.

Like Trump, I half expect someone to shout "suprise" and reveal it all as a bad practical joke.

Abizzz

So Brexit not only means Brexit but it also apparently means mass migration from Hong Kong. Bet the UKIP mob love this development.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ange-immigration-rules-for-hong-kong-citizens
There's not much Boris does that I don't disagree with, but if China really continues on the path it's been on recently this surely is to be welcomed? They won't all want to anyway, but those with the most reason to fear for their future in HK could leave based on their own assessment.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
There's not much Boris does that I don't disagree with, but if China really continues on the path it's been on recently this surely is to be welcomed? They won't all want to anyway, but those with the most reason to fear for their future in HK could leave based on their on assesment.
It actually sounds like a sensible idea but it goes against what many leave voters think they voted for.

FireballXL5

Do Bexiteers hate Chinese immigrants or is just the really dark ones?
That's a toughie. Obviously the dark ones are top of the list, but yer white europeans who talk funny can be hard to spot. You have to hear them speak before you can hate them properly. I'm not racist, I like a good sweet'n'sour now and again as much as the next bloke, but I shouldn't have to listen to Chinese on the bus. And muslims have death rays..... etc,etc,etc ad feckin nauseam

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Is there really anyone in the UK who actually believes a single word or so called fact that the government presents at their daily briefing.
Or should we give it its correct term, daily bullsh1t.

It is just lie after lie and of zero value. Apart from to die hard Tories who are dim enough to lap it all up.

I have long stopped watching it.
The only hard fact is that the UK officially has the worst death rate in the world.
Full story.