Westminster Politics

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Patel should have been sacked twice over by now. The fact she was allowed to resign is a disgrace and shows what joke of a PM May is.

Johnson should follow but I won't hold my breath.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Is this the ghost OF Theresa's career?

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
From a pragmatic, neutral POV, I get that May kind of had to give Boris something, but Christ, Foreign Office was really the worst option, wasn't it? Probably the position where foot-in-the-mouth are more damaging than any other considering the level of diplomacy needed.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Family of Welsh politician who killed himself claim Labour Party was warned about his 'mental well-being'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/201...cian-killed-claim-labour-party-warned-mental/

That some people might have abused their position of authority has never really been the more shocking aspect to all this. Rather, it has been the lamentable manner in which both parliament and its respective parties are equipped to respond to such claims. This is 2017 after all; sensitive and sufficiently accountable procedures shouldn't suddenly be a thing. In this specific case, it will come down to who knew what an when, and whether such is restricted to the Welsh hierarchy. Yet this family shall forever be scarred.

Last edited:

2ndTouch

Supports
Bayern München
I assume you know why Israel occupied the Golan Heights?
Water.
The times where an elevated position was necessary to effectively shell your opposition are over since the end of WW2.
Rich water reserves in an otherwise pretty dry environment however, are *very* useful, if you are running an ambitious agricultural industry at the same time.

buchansleftleg

So why has Priti Patel got such a hard on for Israel?
Lots of members of Parliament are "friends of Israel" (not a euphamism - google it)and take some nice cash from them. Israel knows it is as popular as a fart in a space suit and has been offering such "holidays" and opportunities for "speaking tours" for years.

I'm saying this as a cynic rather than a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist about Global Zionist conspiracy stuff! It's just pragmatic lobbying to try and get some people to NOT criticise the actions of the Israeli government which has increasingly been led by thugs and extremists.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Lots of members of Parliament are "friends of Israel" (not a euphamism - google it)and take some nice cash from them. Israel knows it is as popular as a fart in a space suit and has been offering such "holidays" and opportunities for "speaking tours" for years.

I'm saying this as a cynic rather than a tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorist about Global Zionist conspiracy stuff! It's just pragmatic lobbying to try and get some people to NOT criticise the actions of the Israeli government which has increasingly been led by thugs and extremists.
This.

I Believe

everything Nigel Farage told me
They do like the power they wield over people.
I suspect its because they are losing that power, or certainly their grip on such power and hence they are now using a 'scatter gun' approach to anything involving politicians, e.g. tracking Patel's car back from the airport via helicopter would be laughable, if it had been undertaken by a lesser Broadcaster, its embarrassing when undertaken by the BBC.

Social media is taking over here as much as in the USA, as an avenue for people to get their news (whether true or fake) The BBC and other 24/7 news channels are becoming desperate, recent suggestions that Sky News (costs a fortune) is likely to be jettisoned to facilitate the merger between Sky and Fox, is a prime example.

By the way Preston is just a failed Sports Journalist, shows how much the BBC is scrapping the barrel on Political Commentators these days.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Water.
The times where an elevated position was necessary to effectively shell your opposition are over since the end of WW2.
Rich water reserves in an otherwise pretty dry environment however, are *very* useful, if you are running an ambitious agricultural industry at the same time.
Which is an interesting revision of history, given that Israel brought up Syria shelling Israel from the Golan Heights as late as 1966.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I suspect its because they are losing that power, or certainly their grip on such power and hence they are now using a 'scatter gun' approach to anything involving politicians, e.g. tracking Patel's car back from the airport via helicopter would be laughable, if it had been undertaken by a lesser Broadcaster, its embarrassing when undertaken by the BBC.

Social media is taking over here as much as in the USA, as an avenue for people to get their news (whether true or fake) The BBC and other 24/7 news channels are becoming desperate, recent suggestions that Sky News (costs a fortune) is likely to be jettisoned to facilitate the merger between Sky and Fox, is a prime example.

By the way Preston is just a failed Sports Journalist, shows how much the BBC is scrapping the barrel on Political Commentators these days.
You must be thinking of Robert Savage.

I Believe

He works for ITV.

He does now, but in a former existence he use to do articles for the BBC Sports Page, usually about the FA debacles on bidding for WC's, etc. think he also did some on other sports, mainly Olympics, he wasn't much good at it, so not surprising he turned to politics.

I Believe

You must be thinking of Robert Savage
:lol: Good one!
No in his time at the BBC Preston was their Economics' Editor (officially), but occasionally tried his hand on the Sports News pages, EFA WC debacles and such like, he was absolute 'c**p' Think he moved to ITV around 2015!

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
He does now, but in a former existence he use to do articles for the BBC Sports Page, usually about the FA debacles on bidding for WC's, etc. think he also did some on other sports, mainly Olympics, he wasn't much good at it, so not surprising he turned to politics.
He's been an economics and business journo since the early 90s.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Any press articles about May resigning? No? There's a surprise...if it was Corbyn, there'd be front page headlines of 'In the name of God - go!'

I Believe

He's been an economics and business journo since the early 90s
That was his 'day job', he did a bit of 'moonlighting' when at the BBC (official title then was Economics Editor) on BBC sports news matters, he was absolutely 'c**p' at it, so as they say he 'didn't give up his day' job!;)

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Did you miss this part?
Historians have already begun to debate whether General Dayan was giving an accurate account of the situation in 1967 or whether his version of what happened was colored by his disgrace after the 1973 Middle East war, when he was forced to resign as Defense Minister over the failure to anticipate the Arab attack.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It doesn't say anything about it not being true though does it. I could debate whether you are a rabbit or not.
It means you can't just assume that a conversation had by a now dead Israeli general many years after his public disgrace is necessarily true.

Sorry if I seem a bit snappy, but I get pissed about the modern reactions to anything Israel. They are more than deserving of condemnation over many of their actions over the last few decades, but people seem to forget the entire circumstances that country faced in the decades following the war. The same people who had faced annihilation in the holocaust then faced immediate attempts to wipe them out again from pretty much the moment their new country existed. Then decades of constant attacks from their neighbours all with the aim of snuffing out their existence. If any country on earth had a right to be paranoid it was Israel, and it's lead them along a dark path as they have become so much stronger, but back then they were still very much the victims.

buchansleftleg

It means you can't just assume that a conversation had by a now dead Israeli general many years after his public disgrace is necessarily true.

Sorry if I seem a bit snappy, but I get pissed about the modern reactions to anything Israel. They are more than deserving of condemnation over many of their actions over the last few decades, but people seem to forget the entire circumstances that country faced in the decades following the war. The same people who had faced annihilation in the holocaust then faced immediate attempts to wipe them out again from pretty much the moment their new country existed. Then decades of constant attacks from their neighbours all with the aim of snuffing out their existence. If any country on earth had a right to be paranoid it was Israel, and it's lead them along a dark path as they have become so much stronger, but back then they were still very much the victims.
You make a really valid point there Kentonio about the early days of Israel and the threats they faced back then. what a shame this seems to have led the government down some dark paths.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys

I'm not assuming it's definitely true but was just pointing out (ambiguously to be fair, so sorry for that) that there are other interpretations of what happened which are potentially valid.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
You make a really valid point there Kentonio about the early days of Israel and the threats they faced back then. what a shame this seems to have led the government down some dark paths.
Ironically it's really Nietzsche all over..

"He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you"

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
I'm not assuming it's definitely true but was just pointing out (ambiguously to be fair, so sorry for that) that there are other interpretations of what happened which are potentially valid.
Yeah sorry, its perfectly fair to raise stuff like that. It's just one of the few historical subjects that I actually get emotional about. Too much reading on the holocaust.