Westminster Politics

Kinsella

Copy & Paste Merchant
There is no special relationship. That's just political spin to comfort a British audience.

Fluctuation0161

From a sitting mp

Great diplomacy there. Demonstrates a massive lack of understanding because democrats will have a big say in any trade deals even if Trump wins again.

I think these feckers are trying to burn the economy post Brexit so their disaster capitalist friends can make billions.

Fluctuation0161

probably whoever is shooting / bombing people because tbh there isnt really anything thats been proposed which would justify that is there?
I think you need to look into the history of Ireland mate. Hint: look at what the English did over there and follow that trail to the present day.

Fluctuation0161

hummm...*checks irish passport... yup still dont believe it would justify killing people
Its not about justification. Its about understanding the situation.

There is never justification for killing people, but guess what, it happens in the world every day. Your simplistic approach is not realistic.

Unless that Irish passport has some history books attached to it, I still think you need to look into the history of Ireland.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Christ, is this a genuine oversight or just the DM getting ever more blantant in its Boris Johnson and government reputation-washing?
Ripped off the NY Times' headline too.

London's bridges ARE falling down: Pictures reveal how crumbling infrastructure and dreaded 'covid-friendly' traffic measures are crippling London's crucial Thames crossings

But critics hit out at the Labour Mayor for 'wasting' money on failed projects including the doomed £53.5 million 'garden bridge' project.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...mersmith-Vauxhall-CLOSED.html#article-8747953

Great diplomacy there. Demonstrates a massive lack of understanding because democrats will have a big say in any trade deals even if Trump wins again.

I think these feckers are trying to burn the economy post Brexit so their disaster capitalist friends can make billions.
You realise you sound like a conspiracy theorist?

Trying to burn the economy! We all have different opinions, and different political opinions, and thank goodness for that. But when you say things like this, is just makes your opinion very easy to dismiss.

Fluctuation0161

You realise you sound like a conspiracy theorist?

Trying to burn the economy! We all have different opinions, and different political opinions, and thank goodness for that. But when you say things like this, is just makes your opinion very easy to dismiss.
If, 12 months ago, I had told you the govenrment would unlawfully suspend parliament to avoid checks and balances on a Brexit deal, then months later would propose a bill to void that same deal, breaking international law, you would have called me a conspiracy theorist then too.

These are the actions of a government alienating our 2 key trading partners, both the EU and the US. They are showing scant disregard for the UK economy, it is either extreme incompetence to a degree of which we have never before seen, or it is them actively working to jeopardise the future of the UK. Are you leaning towards incompetence?

If, 12 months ago, I had told you the govenrment would unlawfully suspend parliament to avoid checks and balances on a Brexit deal, then months later would propose a bill to void that same deal, breaking international law, you would have called me a conspiracy theorist then too.

These are the actions of a government alienating our 2 key trading partners, both the EU and the US. They are showing scant disregard for the UK economy, it is either extreme incompetence to a degree of which we have never before seen, or it is them actively working to jeopardise the future of the UK. Are you leaning towards incompetence?
If I told you 12 months ago 20 million people would be paid 80% of their wages to stay home for 3 months so they can complete Netflix what would you say?

We aren’t alienating either the EU or USA. It’s negotiations, and each side wants to present a view that they are stronger than the other. Furthermore, you can’t say we are alienating the US, because a candidate for the presidency tweets something, which frankly is somewhat uneducated.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
If I told you 12 months ago 20 million people would be paid 80% of their wages to stay home for 3 months so they can complete Netflix what would you say?

We aren’t alienating either the EU or USA. It’s negotiations, and each side wants to present a view that they are stronger than the other. Furthermore, you can’t say we are alienating the US, because a candidate for the presidency tweets something, which frankly is somewhat uneducated.
Yes we had to be put on furlough or otherwise unemployment would be at the highest ever recorded so it’s a weird counter point to be honest, let’s not make it sound like they’re being super generous when countries with much smaller economies like Vietnam have offered strong furlough schemes and some countries are continuing it until the end of 2021.

I mean we are alienating the USA and there have been multiple warnings from them about breaching the GFA and a potential trade deal for a while now (remember they’re the guarantor), so it’s disingenuous to say that it’s just about a tweet, and saying we aren’t alienating the EU is laughable when that’s what we have been doing for years now.

Last edited:
Yes we had to be put on furlough or otherwise I’m employment would be at the highest ever recorded so it’s a weird counter point to be honest, let’s not make it sound like they’re being super generous when countries with much smaller economies like Vietnam have offered strong furlough schemes and some countries are continuing it until the end of 2021.

I mean we are alienating the USA and there have been multiple warnings from them about breaching the GFA and a potential trade deal for a while now (remember they’re the guarantor), so it’s disingenuous to say that it’s just about a tweet, and saying we aren’t alienating the EU is laughable when that’s what we have been doing for years now.
We aren’t alienating the US.

The point is, it’s ridiculous to take a viewpoint in the past and project it into the future, and claim that as some sort of moral high ground. Things change, the political landscape changes, and the perfect (although horrendous) example is Corona. Decisions made a year ago, 2 years ago, 5 years ago need to be evaluated in today’s climate.

What amuses me about the negotiations with the EU, are those people who will lap up the rhetoric form the EU, and can’t comprehend that it’s two sides who are negotiating, and both trying to save face and project their own interests.

Sweet Square

The NHS is reported to have failed a government test of its ability to handle a pandemic, though the finding were not made public. Exercise Cygnus, a three-day dry run for a pandemic carried out in October 2016, examined how hospitals and other services would cope in a flu outbreak with a similar mortality rate to coronavirus.

According to the Sunday Telegraph, ministers were told three years ago that Britain would be overwhelmed, suffering a lack of critical care beds, morgue capacity and personal protective equipment.

Boyd said politicians found it tough to deliver large-scale preventive policies to a public unconcerned about major risks. “[They] often talk the talk but find it hard to walk the walk of the changes needed. As they are currently structured, governments are hopelessly underpowered to implement the about-turn needed on policy.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...ress-pandemic-threat-not-properly-implemented

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
We aren’t alienating the US.

The point is, it’s ridiculous to take a viewpoint in the past and project it into the future, and claim that as some sort of moral high ground. Things change, the political landscape changes, and the perfect (although horrendous) example is Corona. Decisions made a year ago, 2 years ago, 5 years ago need to be evaluated in today’s climate.

What amuses me about the negotiations with the EU, are those people who will lap up the rhetoric form the EU, and can’t comprehend that it’s two sides who are negotiating, and both trying to save face and project their own interests.
What is the rhetoric from the EU . This Bill introduced by Johnson has erased all trust with the EU. Breaking or trying to amend the WA is not a negotiation. A FTA is almost impossible now, a massive humiliating climbdown from Johnson is the only chance.
If the GFA is threatened in any way a FTA with the US will be impossible too, these are not negotiating tactics it's sheer incompetence by the British government.
The UK is now in serious trouble and I find it baffling how anyone still tries to defend their actions.

What is the rhetoric from the EU . This Bill introduced by Johnson has erased all trust with the EU. Breaking or trying to amend the WA is not a negotiation. A FTA is almost impossible now, a massive humiliating climbdown from Johnson is the only chance.
If the GFA is threatened in any way a FTA with the US will be impossible too, these are not negotiating tactics it's sheer incompetence by the British government.
The UK is now in serious trouble and I find it baffling how anyone still tries to defend their actions.
The issue is that there are so many that will bash the government no matter what they do. You have the EU who are not necessarily acting in good faith, but in this country we are more than happy to blame our own side and acquiesce to whatever the EU come out with.

These are all just negotiation tactics, and a bit like the transfer window we need to wait until the end to see what the result will be.

I’m certainly not saying we are doing a great job, but let’s also consider that the EU is trying every trick in the book to make it difficult for us to leave on good terms. Their aim is to show the rest of the EU countries that they will be punished for leaving, to prevent a break up. That’s very transparent.

I find it strange so many unquestionably believe Barnier every time over our side.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
The issue is that there are so many that will bash the government no matter what they do. You have the EU who are not necessarily acting in good faith, but in this country we are more than happy to blame our own side and acquiesce to whatever the EU come out with.

These are all just negotiation tactics, and a bit like the transfer window we need to wait until the end to see what the result will be.

I’m certainly not saying we are doing a great job, but let’s also consider that the EU is trying every trick in the book to make it difficult for us to leave on good terms. Their aim is to show the rest of the EU countries that they will be punished for leaving, to prevent a break up. That’s very transparent.

I find it strange so many unquestionably believe Barnier every time over our side.
The not acting in good faith sounds like something from the Daily Express or Johnson. In what way are they not acting in good faith? the Customs border is in the Irish Sea, that's what Johnson agreed to and has tried to wriggle out of it ever since. The agreement is in place and will not be renegotiated.
Of course the only other alternative as stated five years ago was the customs border being on the actual border but nobody wants that.

Then you hear terms like blockade, it's so pathetic, no-one seems to realise that NI will remain in the EU Customs Union and there's no border between Ireland and NI so they're not being starved out.

But at the end of the day if the UK doesn't want a trade deal with the EU nor the USA then just carry on as they are, it's that simple.

Barnier doesn't make the decisions , his instructions come from the 27 Heads of State. He'll carry on with the negotiations as it's his job but realistically few people in the EU expect a deal and it's not one of the major priorities any longer.
You can't trust the British government , that is Johnson's message loud and clear.

As the UK is supposedly totally in control the EU can't punish them, the UK chose to do this. There's no way any other country will leave. It's British media nonsense.

RedChip

?

5-8 point when I looked.
Yeah, Tories have an 8 point lead in this group, which is the closest lead in any age group. Other groups are much more emphatically one way or the other. So if Labour is going to make gains, age group wise, they should look at this group, especially if the economy tanks even further with Brexit.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
The Mail saying that Sunak is floating the idea of freezing benefits and public sector pay. Can't say I'm surprised since we all thought this would be the strategy (it always is).