Westminster Politics

Jericholyte2

So Extinction Rebellion is going to be labelled an organised criminal group if the government has its way because thy wanted to draw exposure to the fact that the country’s ‘free’ media is an illusion, increasing minimum wages are financially impossible but MPs will still happily bend over for companies who have already pulled their pants down using tax havens, then allowing the, to use Covid relief funds.

feck the state of this world!

NinjaFletch

Yes but given i don't think making a time machine is a viable policy they either let people out without charge or they extend the time... neither are great but if somebody released without charge then goes on to do something that would be arguably the worst outcome
Or they could open more courts to clear the backlog, which they created themselves.

But of course they picked the option where innocent people get locked up longer awaiting justice.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Or they could open more courts to clear the backlog, which they created themselves.

But of course they picked the option where innocent people get locked up longer awaiting justice.
How quickly could they open them and staff them with qualified people out of interest? - the secret barrister book seemed to imply they were pretty flat out as it was often only getting cases the morning they were supposed to court ?

DanH

That seems more indicative of limited 5g rollout coverage, rather than the speeds people get when actually connected to 5g. I'm not sure how we compare to the other countries mentioned in terms of population/geographical coverage.

NinjaFletch

How quickly could they open them and staff them with qualified people out of interest? - the secret barrister book seemed to imply they were pretty flat out as it was often only getting cases the morning they were supposed to court ?
Might want to read the secret barristers take on this if you value their opinion.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
CROOKED ‘BREXIT-THE MOVIE’ PRODUCER TO PAY BACK JUST £85
7SEP2020

GREAT MISSENDEN
A Tory party activist who produced ‘Brexit: The Movie’ and was jailed for conning Dragons’ Den entrepreneur James Caan’s business out of £519,000 must pay back just £85. David Shipley, 37, was a leading voice in the campaign for Britain to pull out of the EU, and was one of the people behind the pro-Leave film, which featured Nigel Farage and David Davis. The movie came out a month before the 2016 referendum. Southwark Crown Court heard Shipley requested £519,000…

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal

At least now he's openly working for the Tory party.

Still, what does it say about this country's journalistic integrity when there seems to be a revolving door between members of the press and the Tory party.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
This, along with the Government refusing to implement the recommendations of the Grenfell inquiry, is absolutely disgusting.

But this is the Beebs current homepage.

So, like always, their disgusting actions will go unnoticed

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
So Brandon Lewis admits the new Brexit Bill will be in violation of international law yet nothing on BBC and Sky. And people wonder how they’re able to get away with it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Must have missed that! But still it falls off the main pages far too quickly. A PM who is happy to violate international law would have in the last been under pressure to resign. Now nothing.
As I mention in the brexit thread... there is a resolution mechanism under the withdrawal agreement which the eu can trigger... and it goes to the European Court of justice to decide if what the uk propose is allowable

I think its just cummings / Johnson trying to push the eu to do that as it would galvanise the anti eu sentiment amongst brexiteers and help with the blame game if no deal is the outcome

Basically it just feels like playing politics (clumsily) looking for eu leaders to cut barnier out of talks to try and fudge a last minute deal

I think its not getting much serious coverage as its a leaked proposal seemingly designed to trigger a political response

If it actually got voted on and came into force I think it would be major news

F-Red

Must have missed that! But still it falls off the main pages far too quickly. A PM who is happy to violate international law would have in the last been under pressure to resign. Now nothing.
It was front page on the BBC for the majority of the afternoon/evening.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Johnson flapping again in PMQs.
Yet again, the Speaker of the House sits there and allows Boris to ignore the PMQ from Starmer and waffle and bluster about whatever the next silly thing that comes into his head. He is a disgrace.

vodrake

Yet again, the Speaker of the House sits there and allows Boris to ignore the PMQ from Starmer and waffle and bluster about whatever the next silly thing that comes into his head. He is a disgrace.
He was on it like a shot when Blackford called out Boris for his lying though, can't be having any of that

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
The Speaker needs to allow a certain amount of leeway for debate. Calling someone a liar is unparliamentary language and has been for a couple of centuries so it has to be called out.

Also, he basically threatened to allow all Urgent Question applications if the Government does not notify the House of policy changes before the media, which is a fairly unprecedented threat as far as I know.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The Speaker needs to allow a certain amount of leeway for debate. Calling someone a liar is unparliamentary language and has been for a couple of centuries so it has to be called out.

Also, he basically threatened to allow all Urgent Question applications if the Government does not notify the House of policy changes before the media, which is a fairly unprecedented threat as far as I know.
Debate. Yes. Completely refusing to answer a question, when it is perfectly obvious the game the PM is playing. No.
An example.
Starmer. Prime Minister. When will the problems with the testing system be resolved?
Johnson. Waffle waffle waffle and the government is working hard to deliver Brexit....

TheGame

Is there any difference between Boris lying about this before the election and the Lib Dem’s and tutition fees? Lib Dem’s got crucified and were forced to issue an apology yet lying is just seen as fine and part of the course now.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Is there any difference between Boris lying about this before the election and the Lib Dem’s and tutition fees? Lib Dem’s got crucified and were forced to issue an apology yet lying is just seen as fine and part of the course now.
Standards were a little higher back in the olden days I guess.

Fluctuation0161

As I mention in the brexit thread... there is a resolution mechanism under the withdrawal agreement which the eu can trigger... and it goes to the European Court of justice to decide if what the uk propose is allowable

I think its just cummings / Johnson trying to push the eu to do that as it would galvanise the anti eu sentiment amongst brexiteers and help with the blame game if no deal is the outcome

Basically it just feels like playing politics (clumsily) looking for eu leaders to cut barnier out of talks to try and fudge a last minute deal

I think its not getting much serious coverage as its a leaked proposal seemingly designed to trigger a political response

If it actually got voted on and came into force I think it would be major news
Cool story. But what would your position be if prime minister Corbyn had just announced his government would break international law?

I can imagine.