Westminster Politics

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It does seem a strange time for the head of the erg to close his twitter account stop going to the commons...
I look forward to seeing how he reacts to the eu saying no (deal)
You’d assume he’d be delighted considering that’s all he’s been wanging on about, yet for some reason I have my doubts?

Berbasbullet

if PMQ'S was a boxing match.....well boris lost sadly we all suffer as a result
As per usual then, saw a great comment on Twitter saying something along the lines of if you didn’t know any better these two aren’t even having a conversation with each other.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I listened to pmq as I usually do and yet again, Boris takes absolutely zero notice of the question and the rambles on about whether comes into his head. So yes. He probably is the author or follows the advice.
On the other hand, Starmer at least tries to hold the slippery PM to account.
A good question was why does the PM think it is the right thing to do to impose a pay freeze on most of the public services workers who he lavishes praise on, while awarding his top adviser one Dominic Cummings a pay rise of over £40,000?
As you can imagine, Boris did his usual trick and completely ignored the question.

Jericholyte2

I listened to pmq as I usually do and yet again, Boris takes absolutely zero notice of the question and the rambles on about whether comes into his head. So yes. He probably is the author or follows the advice.
On the other hand, Starmer at least tries to hold the slippery PM to account.
A good question was why does the PM think it is the right thing to do to impose a pay freeze on most of the public services workers who he lavishes praise on, while awarding his top adviser one Dominic Cummings a pay rise of over £40,000?
As you can imagine, Boris did his usual trick and completely ignored the question.
Well why would he change tactics, that's exactly how he won the General Election - no matter the question his answer, "Let's stop faffing around and get Brexit done!"

Tibs

Watching Boris v Starmer, it has to be said that Starmer never lands a KO blow, and if anything, in amongst Boris' ramblings he does land a few punches on Starmer

Problem for Labour is that the general public are thick as feck, and Boris' stupid jokes and snide remarks are more likely to have a positive impact on them, rather than Starmer more forensic style. A long way from the next election, but in amongst this Corona mess, Labour haven't made up much ground imo.

Compton22

Knows that he knows nothing.
Watching Boris v Starmer, it has to be said that Starmer never lands a KO blow, and if anything, in amongst Boris' ramblings he does land a few punches on Starmer

Problem for Labour is that the general public are thick as feck, and Boris' stupid jokes and snide remarks are more likely to have a positive impact on them, rather than Starmer more forensic style. A long way from the next election, but in amongst this Corona mess, Labour haven't made up much ground imo.
Haven't made up much ground? The polls would seem to suggest otherwise. Pretty much level with the Conservatives which is quite remarkable considering where they were less than a year ago.

Smores

Haven't made up much ground? The polls would seem to suggest otherwise. Pretty much level with the Conservatives which is quite remarkable considering where they were less than a year ago.
Not really we're back to the same polling prior to the election. Essentially the Brexit Party and Lib Dem shift back to the main parties. You can claim both parties have made gains but it's nothing but a return to the norm at this stage in the election cycle.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Not really we're back to the same polling prior to the election. Essentially the Brexit Party and Lib Dem shift back to the main parties. You can claim both parties have made gains but it's nothing but a return to the norm at this stage in the election cycle.
labour polling right now is slightly worse than the numbers from 2017-18. the tories changed their leader in 2019 and the polling changed with it.

Berbasbullet

Why is it whenever someone tries to feed our kids they get accused of playing politics, sorry it makes you tories look bad but someone has to do it.

Fluctuation0161

Exactly my thinking. Those celebrating the current polls are grasping imo. Tories are polling very well considering how many covid clusterfecks they have created, even when compared with similar countries to the UK.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I see that Jacob Rees- Mogg says that the UNICEF Charity School Food Matters, which has donated £25,000 to help out needy school children, should be ashamed of themselves...
He brands it as a political stunt.
The only people who should really be ashamed of themselves is JRM and his over-privilaged Tory millionaire MPs who have made savage cuts to children's services in the UK. The same government who has been accused of wasting Billions of pounds of taxpayer money on PPE that is not fit for purpose and sits in warehousing. And the same government who paid Millions of pounds to agents as part of PPE acquisition.

Berbasbullet

I see that Jacob Rees- Mogg says that the UNICEF Charity School Food Matters, which has donated £25,000 to help out needy school children, should be ashamed of themselves...
The only people who should really be ashamed of themselves is JRM and his over-privilaged Tory millionaire MPs who have made savage cuts to children's services in the UK. The same government who has been accused of wasting Billions of pounds of taxpayer money on PPE that is not fit for purpose and sits in warehousing. And the same government who paid Millions of pounds to agents as part of PPE acquisition.
It’s like these people project their inability to understand simple human compassion onto everyone else, we aren’t all monsters!

Fluctuation0161

He is an absolute scum bag. UNICEF are not making a political move, they are following the high numbers of child poverty in the UK which have rocketed over the last 10 years.

Berbasbullet

He is an absolute scum bag. UNICEF are not making a political move, they are following the high numbers of child poverty in the UK which have rocketed over the last 10 years.
Hope he chokes on his food and his nanny isn’t there to save him.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Quite right. Do you know, I have never before felt so incensed almost every day at some of the actions of any government as I do with this one.
I acknowledge that I am getting old. But with that comes a level of wisdom.
A truly horrible government.

Berbasbullet

Quite right. Do you know, I have never before felt so incensed almost every day at some of the actions of any government as I do with this one.
Same! This has irked me more than his comments on Grenfel (blaming the victims), it’s really angered me.

Fluctuation0161

Definitely, they were elected based on 3 words. That about sums up their level of competency too.

@Berbasbullet totally agree. If Mogg was a left winger he would be ripped to pieces in the press on a daily basis. He is an absolute freak. Eccentric does not begin to cover him.

Berbasbullet

I’m still annoyed this morning :lol: the cheek to moan that charities aren’t letting British kids starve to death, whilst he makes tens of millions of pounds that I imagine barely even end up in the British tax payers pot.

Christ, if I didn’t have my partner I’d 100% be looking to get out of the UK, love the country but the people in charge are honestly the most talentless, heartless, in it for themselves morons that we have ever had.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
Work of a genius right here:

Came here to post this, it's brilliant.

I laughed out loud at "There'll be less aid for Africa this Christmas time, because we've given all your money to our friends, in governmental perks and the app that didn't work!" Then I felt sad because it's absolutely true.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s like these people project their inability to understand simple human compassion onto everyone else, we aren’t all monsters!
When is it going to be possible for y’all to vote this current cadre of scum out of office & start eradicating such lunacy in your government? How many election cycles?

Berbasbullet

When is it going to be possible for y’all to vote this current cadre of scum out of office & start eradicating such lunacy in your government? How many election cycles?
I believe it’s 2024, unless a snap election is called before then.

Berbasbullet

What are the machinations for calling a snap election? Is it a difficult process? When’s the last time that occurred?
The previous election was a snap election, basically everyone in parliament has to agree, or a 2/3rds majority? I think? I’m not 100% sure but the tories have 0 incentive to make it happen so we’re stuck with them.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The previous election was a snap election, basically everyone in parliament has to agree, or a 2/3rds majority? I think? I’m not 100% sure but the tories have 0 incentive to make it happen so we’re stuck with them.
Actually their manifesto was to overturn the fixed term parliament act so a snap election can be called

Normally (not always) this is an advantage for the party in.power as they can dictate the election timetable in the most advantageous way