Westminster Politics

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Actually their manifesto was to overturn the fixed term parliament act so a snap election can be called

Normally (not always) this is an advantage for the party in.power as they can dictate the election timetable in the most advantageous way
Aaah okay then, wasn’t the FTPA only put in place recently?

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Aaah okay then, wasn’t the FTPA only put in place recently?
Yeah, 2011. A lot of people just read the headline and assumed it would be impossible to hold an unscheduled election. However all it takes is a vote of no confidence, always possible after a hung or-near hung election, or a two thirds majority. In the latter case it would be extremely difficult for an opposition to say it didn't want an election, so in practice it's back to any time the government wants one. How I read it anyway. :)

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
When is it going to be possible for y’all to vote this current cadre of scum out of office & start eradicating such lunacy in your government? How many election cycles?
To get them out of office at an election they need a strong unified opposition party with a good strong leader.
Looking from the outside the impression is that Labour are divided into different factions who seem to hate each other as much as the Tories.

My impression of the previous leader was that he'd struggle to organise a village fête and the current leader doesn't seem to know what a village fête is.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Why is it whenever someone tries to feed our kids they get accused of playing politics, sorry it makes you tories look bad but someone has to do it.
The same reason why the Tories say rich people should be left alone to make more money and aspire for a better life, or how people shouldn't be given handouts and should be supported in their quest for a better life. But as soon as someone who has come up from nothing and has successfully created a better life for themselves - effectively the thing Tories say they want - they get insulted for having wealth if they say anything the Tories don't like.

Deflection.

MadMike

Sorry, I saw this meme and I didn't know where to put it.

Classic Matt Hancockinhishands

Fluctuation0161

To get them out of office at an election they need a strong unified opposition party with a good strong leader.
Looking from the outside the impression is that Labour are divided into different factions who seem to hate each other as much as the Tories.

My impression of the previous leader was that he'd struggle to organise a village fête and the current leader doesn't seem to know what a village fête is.
Whereas Boris Johnson struck you as competent? More like the village idiot, no?

Paul the Wolf

Whereas Boris Johnson struck you as competent? More like the village idiot, no?
Not at all, I agree with you, but to get rid of this bunch of incompetents you've got to win over the electorate by representing a united front and having a competent leader.
BJ got in because he was getting Brexit done and Labour came up with their ridiculous Brexit plan which was actually Starmer's brainchild.
I've said it before, there has to be someone better than Corbyn and Starmer but was told there isn't anyone.

worldgonemad

Can't believe the government are allowing this to be honest. Every person I have spoken to is surprised restrictions are being relaxed for those days, particularly when infections and deaths are rising.
On top of that, what an absolute slap in the face for every other religion who have had festivals curtailed throughout the year.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Can't believe the government are allowing this to be honest. Every person I have spoken to is surprised restrictions are being relaxed for those days, particularly when infections and deaths are rising.
On top of that, what an absolute slap in the face for every other religion who have had festivals curtailed throughout the year.
I'm pretty sure whatever happens in a few weeks (but probably a spike in infections) it will be blamed on people having parties for new years eve

worldgonemad

I'm pretty sure whatever happens in a few weeks (but probably a spike in infections) it will be blamed on people having parties for new years eve
It's terrifying isn't it? Some people, left to their own devices and common sense will cause chaos and heartache for the masses. I can't believe the majority of mps voted for and allowed this to happen. The opposition in particular should be ashamed

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
It's terrifying isn't it? Some people, left to their own devices and common sense will cause chaos and heartache for the masses. I can't believe the majority of mps voted for and allowed this to happen. The opposition in particular should be ashamed
I'm not sure people would have listened if the government said no mixing at Xmas either - don't think there was a great solution and it will be interesting to see how other countries handle it and if the results are any better.

Most of my colleagues in Europe seem to intend to spend Xmas with families as well so I'm guessing most of Europe will see a spike as well

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Not at all, I agree with you, but to get rid of this bunch of incompetents you've got to win over the electorate by representing a united front and having a competent leader.
BJ got in because he was getting Brexit done and Labour came up with their ridiculous Brexit plan which was actually Starmer's brainchild.
I've said it before, there has to be someone better than Corbyn and Starmer but was told there isn't anyone.
Why? Corbyn was not comparable to Boris.

Starmer is.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Ingerlund

Paul the Wolf

Why? Corbyn was not comparable to Boris.

Starmer is.
Corbyn was nothing like Boris but appeared unelectable, with too much baggage and personally didn''t rate as a leader. But that is immaterial now.

Now Labour has to look to the next election, in the meantime you're going to have the fallout from Covid and Brexit so it as to be ready with the right policies that appeal to people and just as important a personailty that people can put their confidence in. If they don't get it right you could have 20 years of Tory rule and the UK or rather England starting to look like a one party state

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
It’s embarrassing that these silly rituals are allowed to happen for one religion but not others. None of these rituals that involve gatherings of people should be allowed to occur.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I want to abolish the monarchy too.
The fact it's almost 2021 and we still have royal families is astonishing when you think about it. A bunch of inbred sponges that are ultimately no better than you or I yet we're told they are because, well, they just are.