Westminster Politics

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I look at the shitshow in the UK and personally can't see how it would or could have been any worse, especially when looking at other countries and regions with less measures but more success (difficult to be any worse).

Hundreds of billions spent, hundreds of billions more stifled, businesses ruined, liberties stomped all over and still one of the worst death rates in the world (before even talking about the physical and mental health epidemic, the educational catastrophe and numerous other issues that we'll be dealing with for decades).

My "solution" is allow people to make their own risk assessment, especially now that so many have been vaccinated. If you're a 90 year old diabetic who refuses the vaccine I very much doubt you'll be going to a night club; and if you do you're consenting to that risk. A 20 year old with no conditions is likely to make a different judgment.

We're able to make our own risk assessments in pretty much every other facet of our lives. In what jobs we do, in where or if we go abroad, in our recreational activities, in deciding whether to seek medical treatment, who are friends are, whether to smoke, whether to drink, in where and how we get around; whether to walk, drive, cycle, skateboard or E-scoot.

Especially at this point in the pandemic I can see no rational argument for government to keep abjectly failing at attempting to limit people's abilities to put themselves at risk (at significant cost).
Whilst I agree that this government has been and continues to be a shambles, we are not going to agree on throwing it back into the hands of the public either. You can’t just open up everything all together and hope it’s ok. There has to be a measured staggered approach or you put the last years sacrifice at risk

finneh

Whilst I agree that this government has been and continues to be a shambles, we are not going to agree on throwing it back into the hands of the public either. You can’t just open up everything all together and hope it’s ok. There has to be a measured staggered approach or you put the last years sacrifice at risk
Given the death toll I can't see how the last year's sacrifices have been anything but history's most exorbitantly costly exercise in futility.

You're right though we're unlikely to agree.

Maticmaker

Wow. Just wow.
Glad you approve!

Other ideas after ending of lockdown should include;

When everyone returns to work at the beginning of every shift they all assemble outside (whatever the weather) to;
*sing the company song
*sing a version of; "wash your hands, maintain your space and protect the NHS"
and then end
*with the National Anthem and/ or 'God for Boris, England and St. George'

NB Penalty for non-compliance with any of the above is repeated (enforced) visits to Barnard Castle dressed in sack clothe and ashes until restriction is lifted by Dominic Cummings intervention
:lol:

Sweet Square

I wouldn't take that Hartlepool poll seriously as it seems they've asked people from the local communist party.

Smores

Would hopefully be a kick up the backside to actually do something but you know they'll just blame Covid and Brexit. The two biggest opportunities for any opposition in modern history but oh well they're untouchable :rolleyes:

Still waiting on that magical unicorn issue where they can challenge 100% risk free.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
I look at the shitshow in the UK and personally can't see how it would or could have been any worse, especially when looking at other countries and regions with less measures but more success (difficult to be any worse).

Hundreds of billions spent, hundreds of billions more stifled, businesses ruined, liberties stomped all over and still one of the worst death rates in the world (before even talking about the physical and mental health epidemic, the educational catastrophe and numerous other issues that we'll be dealing with for decades).

My "solution" is allow people to make their own risk assessment, especially now that so many have been vaccinated. If you're a 90 year old diabetic who refuses the vaccine I very much doubt you'll be going to a night club; and if you do you're consenting to that risk. A 20 year old with no conditions is likely to make a different judgment.

We're able to make our own risk assessments in pretty much every other facet of our lives. In what jobs we do, in where or if we go abroad, in our recreational activities, in deciding whether to seek medical treatment, who are friends are, whether to smoke, whether to drink, in where and how we get around; whether to walk, drive, cycle, skateboard or E-scoot.

Especially at this point in the pandemic I can see no rational argument for government to keep abjectly failing at attempting to limit people's abilities to put themselves at risk (at significant cost).
The flaw in your plan is that they arent just putting themselves at risk, they are then potentially spreading the virus after contracting it, in the supermarket, petrol station, etc places slightly more necessary than a nightclub or pub.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Our divisions are now cultural, not economic. A slippery slope from there.
Our electoral system means those cultural divisions give the right an even bigger advantage that it does in the US.
The Tories will have a sizable majority for another generation at the very least.

finneh

The flaw in your plan is that they arent just putting themselves at risk, they are then potentially spreading the virus after contracting it, in the supermarket, petrol station, etc places slightly more necessary than a nightclub or pub.
They're spreading the virus to other people who've made their own risk assessments and have acted accordingly. People who've decided to go to the supermarket rather than have produce delivered. People that have gone inside a petrol station rather than used the outdoor flap.

With the vast majority of the vulnerable vaccinated I don't see how this is any different to driving. The same argument about (non-vulnerable or vaccinated) people contracting Covid at a petrol station is true of potentially being side swiped and killed by an idiot driving out of said petrol station.

We're likely to have thousand of deaths every year for years to come (potentially forever). Likewise we're going to be at risk of a vaccine resistant strain emerging for years, potentially forever. An argument not to open up now is an argument for a lifetime of restrictions.

Tiber

Totally random thought, but it must be shit to have a minister/shadow minister as your MP. Doubt they give a flying feck about constituency issues, especially if its a safe seat.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Glad you approve!

When everyone returns to work at the beginning of every shift they all assemble outside (whatever the weather) to;
*sing the company song
and then end

NB Penalty for non-compliance with any of the above is repeated (enforced) visits to Barnard Castle dressed in sack clothe and ashes until restriction is lifted by Dominic Cummings intervention
You misinterpreted. No worries, though.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Glad you approve!

*sing the company song
and then end

Alternatively we can appease the idiots who don't understand the science and reasons behind a passport and;

*Include crayons in a food group with glue and jelly bean sandwiches so the idiots don't feel that their nuritional choices are being demeaned.
*Rather than discuss the realities of a situation, create a false situation that the idiots think somehow validates their point (which it doesn't to anyone who isn't an idiot)
*Make being a constant contratrian idiot a valid debating tactic.

NB Penalty for non-compliance is for absolutely feck all to happen because as shit as this country is we're not a totalitarian regime.

:lol: :lol:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They're spreading the virus to other people who've made their own risk assessments and have acted accordingly. People who've decided to go to the supermarket rather than have produce delivered. People that have gone inside a petrol station rather than used the outdoor flap.

With the vast majority of the vulnerable vaccinated I don't see how this is any different to driving. The same argument about (non-vulnerable or vaccinated) people contracting Covid at a petrol station is true of potentially being side swiped and killed by an idiot driving out of said petrol station.

We're likely to have thousand of deaths every year for years to come (potentially forever). Likewise we're going to be at risk of a vaccine resistant strain emerging for years, potentially forever. An argument not to open up now is an argument for a lifetime of restrictions.
I think you're missing out the other two groups affected by this; NHS staff and patients who can't get appointments due to these self assessors becoming infected.

finneh

I think you're missing out the other two groups affected by this; NHS staff and patients who can't get appointments due to these self assessors becoming infected.
NHS staff are vaccinated and those self assessors would presumably either be a) also vaccinated; or b) under 50 with no underlying conditions (meaning risk of hospitalisation is minute).

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
NHS staff are vaccinated and those self assessors would presumably either be a) also vaccinated; or b) under 50 with no underlying conditions (meaning risk of hospitalisation is minute).
I'm talking about the strain on services, not the risk of infection though.

finneh

I'm talking about the strain on services, not the risk of infection though.
How will services be strained if the only people getting infected are either already vaccinated and ergo have a minute change of hospitalisation or are under 50 (hell even under 60) with no underlying conditions and ergo have a minute chance of hospitalisation.

Maticmaker

NB Penalty for non-compliance is for absolutely feck all to happen because as shit as this country is we're not a totalitarian regime.
Not yet... but wait until the Tories have been in power for the next two decades.

The current so called 'two party system' will become (is becoming already) a one party system with that one party always finishing 'first past the post' because they carry the post with them and plant it down as and when they feel like it.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Not yet... but wait until the Tories have been in power for the next two decades.

The current so called 'two party system' will become (is becoming already) a one party system with that one party always finishing 'first past the post' because they carry the post with them and plant it down as and when they feel like it.
Well, there goes my chance of a decent night's sleep.

Fluctuation0161

Spot on.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

So the longest any party has maintained a majority under the FPTP system since 1800 is 19 years (the tory party from 1807 to 1826)... 5 elections

the only other time a party has won a majority in 4 elections in a row was 1979 to 1992 (thatcher and major)

Currently the conservatives have won a majority in the last erm 1 elections so I think its a little early to assume its ging to be 5 straight conservative majorities and 20+ years of uninterpreted majorities

I would like to see the move to PR but its not going to happen unless we get a hung parliament and personally i think thats much more likely over the next 20 years than 4 straight conservative majorities

Balljy

So the longest any party has maintained a majority under the FPTP system since 1800 is 19 years (the tory party from 1807 to 1826)... 5 elections

the only other time a party has won a majority in 4 elections in a row was 1979 to 1992 (thatcher and major)

Currently the conservatives have won a majority in the last erm 1 elections so I think its a little early to assume its ging to be 5 straight conservative majorities and 20+ years of uninterpreted majorities

I would like to see the move to PR but its not going to happen unless we get a hung parliament and personally i think thats much more likely over the next 20 years than 4 straight conservative majorities
I agree, it seems unlikely but the current political situation in Scotland is a real problem for labour and may impact it.

If either Scotland stays, but the SNP remain a force or Scotland get independence I can't see how Labour makes up all those seats in England personally. They were getting 40 plus seats per year up to 2010 which is now down to 1 and they have to make those up in the rest of the UK somehow.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I agree, it seems unlikely but the current political situation in Scotland is a real problem for labour and may impact it.

If either Scotland stays, but the SNP remain a force or Scotland get independence I can't see how Labour makes up all those seats in England personally. They were getting 40 plus seats per year up to 2010 which is now down to 1 and they have to make those up in the rest of the UK somehow.
from a purely political power basis its shocking the conservatives have not taken the approach of supporting indy ref 2 ... I do wonder if secretly they wouldnt mind it happening and wouldn't campaign all that hard to stop it?

If scotland was to leave i can only imagine that there would be redrawing of all electoral boundries in the UK done independently and im not sure how that would change the map?

Fluctuation0161

Of the last 125 years, the Tories have been in power for 80 years.

The elites being in bed/owning the media certainly helps.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

Like everything, there is good and bad about PR (which I cannot see happening any time soon).
Yes it should be fairer, particularly for the smaller parties like the Greens for example.
But for generations, we have been accustomed to knowing who have won and who the next government is by the next day.

It is up to the opposition to change the voters minds.
And while I would love the Labour party to become the next government, I am becoming less optimistic by the day.

Fluctuation0161

Like everything, there is good and bad about PR (which I cannot see happening any time soon).
Yes it should be fairer, particularly for the smaller parties like the Greens for example.
But for generations, we have been accustomed to knowing who have won and who the next government is by the next day.

It is up to the opposition to change the voters minds.
And while I would love the Labour party to become the next government, I am becoming less optimistic by the day.
The first past the post system is stacked against the opposition. Also it is not representative, didn't UKIP get 1 million votes but zero seats quite recently? As much as I disagree write their party, those voters not being represented what causes disenfranchised and angry population. This is partly why the Brexit referendum, for example, was such a protest vote.

@sun_tzu
On another note, every non Tory party and the population as a whole would benefit from PR. It is more representative.

All parties should band together, so in each constituency, have only one non Tory MP, standing against the a Tories on the sole platform of voting in PR then calling another election.

Last edited:

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The first past the post system is stacked against the opposition. Also it is not representative, didn't UKIP get 1 million votes but zero seats quite recently? As much as I disagree write their party, those voters not being represented what causes disenfranchised and angry population. This is partly why the Brexit referendum, for example, was such a protest vote.

@sun_tzu
On another note, every non Tory party and the population as a whole would benefit from PR. It is more representative.

All parties should band together, so in each constituency, have only one non Tory MP, standing against the a Tories on the sole platform of voting in PR then calling another election.
If labour had joined the "remain alliance" we would have had that a couple of elections ago - looking back perhaps a shame we didnt.

If labour got on board with PR then it would seem the way to go for a PR alliance in the next eection where of they got in it would be a coalition of all the parties for 4 years and they would pass full PR reform - not sure labour are ready to go there but would be really interesting if they did as a lab/lib/snp/green/plaid coalition would be a really strong prospect in more than half the constituencies so would have a realy chance of winning and if PR reform was explicit in the manifesto then again it would be pretty much impossibe for the opposition to derail it even if they could delay it a little in the lords etc... possibly tied in with an agreement for a full scottish indy ref once the PR reforms for sunsequent elections had been passed

Last edited:

Maticmaker

next 20 years than 4 straight conservative majorities
Yes, under normal circumstances I would agree but there are two major factors in play right now;

1/ The UK is in danger of fragmenting, with Nationalist parties in the ascendancy, the Tories will become (if not already) in time and in all but name, the English version of SNP.

2/ The Labour party (North and South of the border)is seemingly doomed to oblivion; the 'blow' it gave to its red wall supporters (Brexit and electing Jezzer leader) looks like becoming 'mortal' for the party as a National player. The Labour Party is now at best, seen in the North of England (and probably in Scotland too) as a Greater London based party of left leaning intellectuals, at worst, a 'nest' of ultra left conspirators, who ridicule any sort of Nationalist aspirations in at least three of the UK countries, Scotland, Wales and increasingly England, the exception seeming to be Northern Ireland.

These two factors don't seem to be changing anytime soon and the long haul towards a single dominant (Nationalistic) Government, regularly elected is on the cards.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
It seems to be human nature that when we are in a trend we have a tendency to think that trend will just go on and on. Happens in lots of things from investing to football.

As for politics, Blair once looked like he couldn't lose, and indeed was a shoo-in for EU president when he condescended to be ready. Thatcher's revolution made sure Labour would never rule again and Wilson retired boasting he left Labour as the natural governing party of Britain. Believe it or not all those made sense at the time, and all were wrong. Times do change, and particularly in politics.