Westminster Politics

Balljy

Here's a picture of the skip he is living in from five years ago;

Unless Cameron and May ran around flinging shit on the walls since then, of course...
The money should have gone into a new PM briefcase.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

Can't wait to see how Johnson wriggles out of this one.

*Johnson wriggles out of it easily*

Oh.
Genuinley not sure he will - I think enough of his cabinet colleagues see this as their est chance to oust him ... sunak must be creaming himself at the thought he could get johnson out and take over just in time to claim the glory of the vaccine roll out but avoid the scruitiny of the initial responce .... and to have given lots of money away before the taxes rise to start recouping ... and of course Gove will as always be looking for people to stab in the back and give himself a promotion.

Im also not entirely sure he really wants the job - hes done it - hes been PM - he will forever claim he got brexit done and he can bumble around rake in some cash then run for London Mayor again in a few years

Classical Mechanic

Genuinley not sure he will - I think enough of his cabinet colleagues see this as their est chance to oust him ... sunak must be creaming himself at the thought he could get johnson out and take over just in time to claim the glory of the vaccine roll out but avoid the scruitiny of the initial responce .... and to have given lots of money away before the taxes rise to start recouping ... and of course Gove will as always be looking for people to stab in the back and give himself a promotion.

Im also not entirely sure he really wants the job - hes done it - hes been PM - he will forever claim he got brexit done and he can bumble around rake in some cash then run for London Mayor again in a few years
If the Tories oust Bobo then that's him thrown under the bus for the whole thing isn't it.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Starmer did ok today I think... hes clearly got johnson on record on some clear points so if there is any traction in the investiagtion johnson is probably going to be on a "sticky wicket" (as Bojo might call it)

A bad local election set of results and Johnson might be jumping before he is pushed (with a big knife in the back)

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
My God Boris is so frustrating at PMQs
He is so slippery. But I do believe that the Speaker should push Johnson to actually answer the questions and not bumble on about the first stupid thing that comes into his head.
But Starmer asked very specific questions and Johnson committed himself. So we will see the outcome.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
He's had plenty of ammunition since he became Labour leader. Been weak as piss. Might as well be a Tory.
Can't argue with that. His forensic questioning is not really working. Boris just ignores the questions.
He needs to get his point over with much more passion. But that is where he is lacking.

Realist81

Johnson definitely seemed to lose it there, the poor little darling really doesn't like being questioned does he?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Johnson definitely seemed to lose it there, the poor little darling really doesn't like being questioned does he?

He hates all accountability, he thinks he can do what he wants without any scrutiny.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

I think starmer did well today - it was clearly in his comfort zone but the pointed questions did elisit responces which could spell trouble for boris I think... that said a bad bunch of results in the May elections and with cummings testimony to come not long after I think he might well jump before being pushed and announce that now brexit is done and that he has defeated covid its time for him to spend some time with his family... and let gove, sunak and patel fight it out to be crowned king cnut at the conference

Offsideagain

I would have thought all of these politicians had bigger fish to fry instead of looking for scandal. All the Tories have to do is mention Joe Anderson and the Unite hotel in Birmingham if they want some sleaze and alleged corruption and jobs for the boys. Ner ner ne ner ner.

Maticmaker

I can see cummings leaking and briefing more and more over the next few weeks
Unless he's made an offer he cannot refuse!

The real challange will be can they force a resignation as im sure nobody fancies being seen with blood on their hands by mounting a formal leadership bid
"He who wields the knife, never wears the crown"... must be something in that?

Surprised Jacob isnt in the running - I think amongst the eligable voters he would do really well
Well certainly his nanny would vote for him...but can't see 'red wall' voters taking to him though!

Maticmaker

True but they won't be voting in a leadership election
True, but the Tory Party will only elect a leader who can win in a GE and one who will continue their appeal to the red wall voters, so they can look forward to massive majorities in the future; don't think Jacob will score too high in that respect!

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
True, but the Tory Party will only elect a leader who can win in a GE and one who will continue their appeal to the red wall voters, so they can look forward to massive majorities in the future; don't think Jacob will score too high in that respect!
Not sure rishi or gove will either... Johnson does have a certain appeal that is almost unique I think ... it might be what saves him but there does seem to be a few knifes out looking for a back to lodge themselves in

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Amazingly the story going around about the Prime Minister’s phone number being easily googleable is true. MP for Henley, Shadow Minister for Higher Education and “press release” offers it as the first hit.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Not sure rishi or gove will either... Johnson does have a certain appeal that is almost unique I think ... it might be what saves him but there does seem to be a few knifes out looking for a back to lodge themselves in
He does have a certain appeal. The same appeal as the cheeky conman who does everything on the black market.

MoskvaRed

He does have a certain appeal. The same appeal as the cheeky conman who does everything on the black market.
Johnson did have that roguish appeal but I think quotes like (his partner’s) “John Lewis nightmare” unmask the clown and show the nasty piece of work underneath. You can get away with a lot in British public life but showing undisguised contempt for the tastes of people less well off (but not bottom of the heap) is not one of them. I’m reminded of Gerald Ratner and his career-ending speech.

Maticmaker

Yes, of course that's what Boris is there for, to draw 'enemy fire' and he's good at it, exceptionally good, because in some cases you get the feeling he doesn't realise his head is above the parapet, or that those nearest and dearest are painting targets on his back. Amazingly in some of the things he says and when he says them, to many people he retains the image of an 'innocent abroad' with such utterances, and above all else, most people who are not glued to the workings of Westminster can relate to Boris. Just like Farage, Boris can make a show of being 'a man of the people', when neither of them really are!
JRM goes the other way, he makes a virtue out of a being a self-deprecating 'toff' and people love him for it.
I think Rishi does have a similar quality and it may serve him well in the future, its all about 'timing'.

Unfortunately for Labour those kind of 'men/women of the people' which are recognised as such (by the populace) are long gone, along with their parties image, all brought about by one unguarded phrase by Gordon Brown about a little old lady in Rochdale captured on the 24/7 news cycle.

Maticmaker

What a strange event to attribute your incorrect premise on...
Not really, Labour keep pretending this did not have an impact but it did, for a lot of people it started the avalanche, that eventually saw the red wall collapse. Whilst Labour go on pretending/kidding themselves on this and related issues (e.g. stance on Brexit) they will remain the party of opposition, unfortunately!

FireballXL5

'But the Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) said there was no indication racial discrimination had been a factor.' Sounds totally believable.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
True story - I've had a mental health crisis where I sought police help and was uncertain about whether to go into protective custody. I wasn't tased, sprayed with CS gas and beaten with a nightstick.

I am a white man but that's probably irrelevant.

Fluctuation0161

Not really, Labour keep pretending this did not have an impact but it did, for a lot of people it started the avalanche, that eventually saw the red wall collapse. Whilst Labour go on pretending/kidding themselves on this and related issues (e.g. stance on Brexit) they will remain the party of opposition, unfortunately!
You seem to be making up a narrative to fit their own predetermined view. Quite wide of the mark in my opinion.

You'll find the Iraq war and Tony Blair had a much bigger impact on public opinion of Labour according to polls.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
You seem to be making up a narrative to fit their own predetermined view. Quite wide of the mark in my opinion.

You'll find the Iraq war and Tony Blair had a much bigger impact on public opinion of Labour according to polls.
Very much so. Apart from winning 3 straight election victories, the Blair government was very successful. The upgrading of many hospitals and schools and the introduction of waiting time targets for the NHS has never been even remotely matched.
But as you say, the Iraq war had tainted them and him ever since.
But that had no impact on my belief in the benefits of a Labour government.

Maticmaker

OK, each to his own opinion.

I believe the 'rot' started with many 'red wall' Labour voters ( not those down south or in the suburbs) with Brown's unguarded remark; it 'set in' when it was followed by the loony left being allowed to run the show and then its 'no-where' stance on Brexit. All this caused a hither to unknown phenomenon to occur in 'base camp' Labour strongholds; people not only thought about voting Tory, they did vote Tory, or for other parties, either way enough to give Labour its heaviest defeat in a GE for years.

This wasn't a one off reaction to the Iraq war, which might have happened elsewhere, but not in 'red wall' areas, it was a shifting of the soul in many Labour areas and until its foundations are truly examined, then Labour will remain in opposition, even when Boris and his ilk are running the country.

People of real working class persuasion/vision in the Labour party have either died off, left for pastures new, or got slung out/side-lined! So called Public Opinion is always fickle, even what Labour party members themselves believe, is not relevant to gaining power; what is relevant to gaining power is what counts to individuals attitudes and aspirations, and what happens in the privacy of the ballot box with people who hitherto always voted Labour, no matter what, who were born and bred to it.

This is what has changed, not public opinion/poll numbers!