Westminster Politics

True. Better than it was no doubt. I suspect the problem is more enforcement - court cases take forever these days, and inspections of properties pretty much just aren't a thing.
I know examples of landlords that apply for HMO licences. They essentially are allowed to operate as an HMO prior to an inspection, yet the wait for inspections is more than 2 years. You can get fined up to £10k per offence operating as a HMO - so the framework is there, just no one to implement it.

on the other side of things, hearings to evict tenants who haven’t paid rent are not being heard for over 12 months in some places.

there is very little enforcement on either side of the fence to remedy bad landlords or bad tenants.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I know examples of landlords that apply for HMO licences. They essentially are allowed to operate as an HMO prior to an inspection, yet the wait for inspections is more than 2 years. You can get fined up to £10k per offence operating as a HMO - so the framework is there, just no one to implement it.

on the other side of things, hearings to evict tenants who haven’t paid rent are not being heard for over 12 months in some places.

there is very little enforcement on either side of the fence to remedy bad landlords or bad tenants.
Yeah, sounds about right. It's the same with most of these things after so many years of austerity it seems - HSE inspections, licencing for bars, the Covid regulations, legal aid...there's obviously a balance to be had, nobody likes too much intrusion into their lives, but there's no point having rules that only the good people follow.

Maticmaker

Except for both parties involved, its not at the top of the list for urgent action for anyone else !

there's obviously a balance to be had, nobody likes too much intrusion into their lives, but there's no point having rules that only the good people follow.
Isn't that the situation in most cases, we have a whole category of citizenship where rules such as "keep off the grass", "no parking" etc. believe it doesn't apply to them.

TwoSheds

Except for both parties involved, its not at the top of the list for urgent action for anyone else !

Isn't that the situation in most cases, we have a whole category of citizenship where rules such as "keep off the grass", "no parking" etc. believe it doesn't apply to them.
So you agree it's a problem then? I'm confused, do you think the rules should be enforced or not?

Maticmaker

So you agree it's a problem then? I'm confused, do you think the rules should be enforced or not?
Its a problem for those involved of course, but I am not holding my breath that any 'enforcement' will occur except what naturally occurs over time, which of course is something neither landlords nor tenants have!
The second point I was making is that there are many areas where people flout the rules, or fail to adhere to them, and don't even recognise these apply to them, and even for the criminal ones there is little in the way of enforcement happening.
It is my opinion that this situation pertains because what are rules/laws/personal views and opinions are now merging and resulting in a psychosis affecting the nation, due mainly to social media echo chambers..... and to a lack of 'enforcers'.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Probably hoping now for a labour pm and switching alleigence so he can get a cushy number at the house of lords
Both disgusting and completely predictable that he wasn't elevated to the Lords after he ended as Speaker anyway. Tory twats just ignore convention any time it suits.

TwoSheds

Its a problem for those involved of course, but I am not holding my breath that any 'enforcement' will occur except what naturally occurs over time, which of course is something neither landlords nor tenants have!
The second point I was making is that there are many areas where people flout the rules, or fail to adhere to them, and don't even recognise these apply to them, and even for the criminal ones there is little in the way of enforcement happening.
It is my opinion that this situation pertains because what are rules/laws/personal views and opinions are now merging and resulting in a psychosis affecting the nation, due mainly to social media echo chambers..... and to a lack of 'enforcers'.
This all sounds a bit mad in fairness.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Both disgusting and completely predictable that he wasn't elevated to the Lords after he ended as Speaker anyway. Tory twats just ignore convention any time it suits.
Yes I would say its a silly convention but even more petty to break it ...

The bullying allegations you could argue makes striong case not to promote him to the Lords but if you were being consistent then priti patel wouldn't be home Secretary

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
So the right have figured out the solution to identity politics. Use identity politics to blame the identity politics that came before. Genius.

It’s a joke that committees can gather such useful information and then just distort and use it purely for political attacks.

Fluctuation0161

Oh give over, you. Are you denying there is a housing shortage in the UK?.

Of course not, I'm saying the Tory government is not bothered about the housing shortage, this is self evident over the last 10 years. Also social housing has fallen by 97% since 2010 fir example. They are also not bothered about building affordable homes. They are bothered about profits for Tory donors. Just look at Jenricks behaviour for a start. One example of that below.

Point is, if you think our corrupts government's recent housing policy is anything other than bribe, bribe, bribe, you are naive.

https://news.sky.com/story/the-1bn-...robert-jenrick-controversy-explained-12014447

Ive trimmed your quote. Let's stick to the point. Rather than your wild accusations of voter racism when we are discussing housing policy.

Peter van der Gea

Likes Pineapple on well done Steak
Poorer white pupils neglected for decades, say MPs https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-57558746

Nothing to do with years of cuts and lack of funding……
They also gloss over the reason that the pupils are on food tokens. A large portion of the ethnic students will be immigrants or first generation and their families are still setting up social networks. Some of the white students they are talking about are from families of 5 or 6 generations who haven't worked. Totally different reasons for poverty and totally different opportunities and routes out.

And saying that white privilege doesn't exist means that they don't understand what white privilege is, which from a senior government body is fecking scary.

RedChip

They also gloss over the reason that the pupils are on food tokens. A large portion of the ethnic students will be immigrants or first generation and their families are still setting up social networks. Some of the white students they are talking about are from families of 5 or 6 generations who haven't worked. Totally different reasons for poverty and totally different opportunities and routes out.

And saying that white privilege doesn't exist means that they don't understand what white privilege is, which from a senior government body is fecking scary.
It's almost pathetic, isn't it, the lengths they are prepared to go to. The reasoning seems to be white privilege doesn't exist because some white kids are underprivileged.

Brwned

It's almost pathetic, isn't it, the lengths they are prepared to go to. The reasoning seems to be white privilege doesn't exist because some white kids are underprivileged.
I think there is a general point that gets overlooked or ridiculed there. I have benefited from white privilege, but my dad hasn’t. Talking to him about white privilege without any context for his own life experience only loses an ally, because otherwise he shares a lot of the same beliefs as those who use the term most.

He grew up as one of 6 children, the son of a janitor and a housewife, with very little food on the table. He grew up in one of the hotspots of the Troubles in Northern Ireland, gunshots most nights, an occupying army on his doorstep, paramilitary organisations trying to recruit him, other people his age throwing petrol bombs and senior political leaders mounting rifles on his street. There was no privilege in his background. He had a much worse upbringing than the vast majority of people with a different skin colour in his country. The fact he was white just meant he would be defined by his religion or his political identity, and he happened to be in the minority and subject to explicit discrimination.

Just waving a hand and saying well sure you grew up with all that, but imagine how much worse it would have been if you had a different skin colour, is plainly untrue but more importantly, it invalidates a fundamental part of his being. That’s stupid politics but it’s not uncommon for people who talk about white privilege to such an extent.

It just shouldn’t feature in this report at all. It could be misguided analysis but most likely it’s just a bullshit distraction from the deeper problem they have much more responsibility for.

RedChip

I agree with you. Although white privilege does exist, it is definitely divisive and not that helpful in winning the argument. And the below quote is exactly why they put it in the report: as someone pointed out, primary school aged kids have only ever lived under Tory rule and, for much of that time, the term white privilege wasn't even in use. Not to mention only a small proportion of white working class kids actually qualify for free school meals.
most likely it’s just a bullshit distraction from the deeper problem they have much more responsibility for

Brwned

I agree with you. Although white privilege does exist, it is definitely divisive and not that helpful in winning the argument. And the below quote is exactly why they put it in the report: as someone pointed out, primary school aged kids have only ever lived under Tory rule and, for much of that time, the term white privilege wasn't even in use. Not to mention only a small proportion of white working class kids actually qualify for free school meals.
And because most of the white folks that have been underserved are over represented in the towns that have been most overlooked, with the Tories in charge for most of that decline in those regions!

In those overlooked towns, many minorities have those same struggles plus more. I’m sure if they just included region as a controlling factor you’d find plenty of examples of white privilege right across the country. They were just happy to ignore that skewed population distribution to tell a ridiculous story!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Boris trying to get rid of Hancock the only way he knows how.
You are naive if you think the papers just saw those pictures or the government didn't know.

Deery

Dreary
We laugh and joke but that’s the guy that was in charge of the Health sector in the middle of a global pandemic, no integrity whatsoever politician’s make me sick especially Tory ones..

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
We laugh and joke but that’s the guy that was in charge of the Health sector in the middle of a global pandemic, no integrity whatsoever politician’s make me sick especially Tory ones..
Same guy who gave his neighbour a PPE Contract (neighbour had no background in field) this is a party who have lied consistently and yet the English public just believe anything they say

MadMike

Has there been another British government, in recent times, that is so bereft of any morals? Boris, Hancock, Raab, Patel, Gove... more muck than a pig sty.