Westminster Politics

Maticmaker

The "we" in this case is just UK citizens, which I'm one of. The way I see it, I share equal responsibility with any other voter for the challenges that we face. Advocating for the idea that we should expect accountability and transparency as standard is part of exercising that responsibility, but it effects little change on its own. I certainly wouldn't separate myself from other citizens on that basis: talk is cheap. Right now I exercise that responsibility very poorly because it depends on network effects, if most people don't want accountability, it doesn't matter if you do. So I'm part of that failing, regardless of my view.

I understand why you don't want to compare it to Norway, but the general principle remains regardless of which comparison you make. For example, Germany functions differently to the UK in lots of key ways.

Whether that's better or worse depends on your political perspectives etc. but the obvious truth is the way the UK functions now is not the only way it can function, and there's no basis for the claim that any new changes will just introduce trade-offs that end up 1 step forward, 1 step back. That's an ideological default but it doesn't hold up to scrutiny. It depends on what choices are made and how they're implemented. If you're inclined to assume the wrong choices will be made, unintended consequences will follow, things will be poorly implemented, and that's just reality, then that's fair enough as an ideological view but it's logically flawed and results in a pointless discussion.

There's loads of ways we could change things. To me, that's an endless discussion which bores others and often goes down tunnels. Maybe another time I'll be up for going down those endless tunnels :)

More pertinently, I'm not advocating for myself as the person to determine those changes, I'm advocating for a democratic society to expect much more ownership of those decisions, and to feel like if some fundamental principles are violated that we are not just entitled but required to demand accountability and transparency. If we made that one shift I think a lot of downstream problems would be resolved in a better way than you or I can speculate on our own, I firmly believe in the power of the wisdom of crowds. I agree it would come with trade-offs but I can't agree at all that those trade-offs are worse than the current situation where accountability is considered this kind of amusing, mythical idea. It has a corrosive effect on political engagement which I would see as a central part of our current issues.
Thank you for your response, I don't think there is a lot of difference between us on advocating what a good idea accountability and transparency and honesty is for our politics, but as you say on its own its effects little change. Perhaps the only real difference between us is that it has been my experience that the 'trade-off' is at the heart of the matter, i.e. "the great British compromise"... it is practiced at the very heart of our party political systems and becomes the norm elsewhere. The 'don't do as I do, do as I say' has always been there, but it is rampant now in our politics, as Boris is a 'shining' (well that's perhaps not the right word) example of a politician who appears to be 'Mr Teflon', nothing sticks to him!

I would genuinely like to think there are 'loads of ways' (as you put it), to change things, but I have yet to have heard of, let alone see tested, any way which achieves this, in terms of enhancing accountability, transparency and honesty in our politics, and as you say you believe in the power of the wisdom of crowds, that actually works. Perhaps as another poster on here @Pexbo, describe me, as a masochist and certainly in political terms I accept the charge. I don't agree in the power of wisdom of crowds, I have always found that in any crowd espousing political change there are; the true believers, (the shock troops); also the well 'lets give it a chance (rs)'; and the 'whats in it for me/only here for the beer contingent' and of course the 'hangers on' who just want to fit in' and/or be part of a crowd'. These groups, sometimes indiscriminately, strike bargains or if you prefer trade-offs between themselves and the compromise is reached (if not always acknowledged) even before the 'offer is made' (so to speak) to the public.

Without wishing to restart our discussion on nuance, the example above is situation is where I believe nuance can act just as much against real understanding, it is a cover for individuals or the collective conscience to be eased, just as in other ways it can enhance understanding. Politicians wishing to avoid accountability (of course only when things go wrong) and/or who are not looking in particular for transparency and of course those knowing they are being dishonest, love to find nuance in the way their comments and indeed in some of their actions are taken.

I suppose in the end we are all formed by the experiences we have in life, I am now in my 70's and tbh despair of ever seeing the kind of political system that does value accountability, transparency and honesty in the way it operates.
I hope and trust you are young enough to see some improvement in your lifetime, and looking at things like Climate Change issues it is going to be very important indeed that these are the hallmarks of our future politics.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Thank you for your response, I don't think there is a lot of difference between us on advocating what a good idea accountability and transparency and honesty is for our politics, but as you say on its own its effects little change. Perhaps the only real difference between us is that it has been my experience that the 'trade-off' is at the heart of the matter, i.e. "the great British compromise"... it is practiced at the very heart of our party political systems and becomes the norm elsewhere. The 'don't do as I do, do as I say' has always been there, but it is rampant now in our politics, as Boris is a 'shining' (well that's perhaps not the right word) example of a politician who appears to be 'Mr Teflon', nothing sticks to him!

I would genuinely like to think there are 'loads of ways' (as you put it), to change things, but I have yet to have heard of, let alone see tested, any way which achieves this, in terms of enhancing accountability, transparency and honesty in our politics, and as you say you believe in the power of the wisdom of crowds, that actually works. Perhaps as another poster on here @Pexbo, describe me, as a masochist and certainly in political terms I accept the charge. I don't agree in the power of wisdom of crowds, I have always found that in any crowd espousing political change there are; the true believers, (the shock troops); also the well 'lets give it a chance (rs)'; and the 'whats in it for me/only here for the beer contingent' and of course the 'hangers on' who just want to fit in' and/or be part of a crowd'. These groups, sometimes indiscriminately, strike bargains or if you prefer trade-offs between themselves and the compromise is reached (if not always acknowledged) even before the 'offer is made' (so to speak) to the public.

Without wishing to restart our discussion on nuance, the example above is situation is where I believe nuance can act just as much against real understanding, it is a cover for individuals or the collective conscience to be eased, just as in other ways it can enhance understanding. Politicians wishing to avoid accountability (of course only when things go wrong) and/or who are not looking in particular for transparency and of course those knowing they are being dishonest, love to find nuance in the way their comments and indeed in some of their actions are taken.

I suppose in the end we are all formed by the experiences we have in life, I am now in my 70's and tbh despair of ever seeing the kind of political system that does value accountability, transparency and honesty in the way it operates.
I hope and trust you are young enough to see some improvement in your lifetime, and looking at things like Climate Change issues it is going to be very important indeed that these are the hallmarks of our future politics.
The only way to guarantee you don't improve anything is to maintain the status quo. For example, if you think Boris is appalling, you should vote for someone else on principle, regardless of whether you think you particularly like the alternative. It's the only feedback mechanism we have.

In my view we should just do 6 year terms and then bar the ruling party from being in charge next time round - their MPs could still run as independents but I'd bar them from cabinet positions. It would mean they'd all actually have to work with each other instead of bickering like embarrassing public school children.

Well, that or proportional representation - that also encourages compromise to some extent.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Have the spectator published that piece on Rashford yet?

Superden

Thats really twisted the minds of some the right wing lot who are seething at johnson for lying to them about vaccine passports...

Oldyella

Rees Mogg makes a racial slur - no punishment.

Labour MP tells the truth about Johnson - kicked out.

Wish more MPs would do this. He's lying on just about every other subject, everyone knows it so call it out.

Fluctuation0161

Rees Mogg makes a racial slur - no punishment.

Labour MP tells the truth about Johnson - kicked out.

Really shows how it's not only our first past the post system is unrepresentative and favours the establishment, but also our whole parliamentary system favours elitism too. It is antiquated and effectively rigged.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
You can get Farage to say pretty much anything for £75 on cameo:

Jericholyte2

I see that reports are coming that the 3% pay rise for NHS staff will be paid for by cuts to other sectors, purely so ministers can blame, ‘greedy, money grubbing NHS staff’ when their constituents complain about their A&E unit shutting down!

An absolutely vile pack of cnuts this government is.

All NHS staff should strike, and keep striking, and be joined by other public sector workers, until actual change happens. But they won’t. They are a special breed that always go above and beyond and would never do this out of loyalty to their patients. And this is where the government has the advantage in that they have no loyalty to any member of that public sector work-force.

ha_rooney

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Dawn Butler’s statement was fantastic. Other politicians, particularly from her party, should’ve got up & left too. Disgraceful when there’s more energy to shut down a MP for calling out the PM’s lies than there is for the constant bullshit Boris spouts on a daily basis.

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Easy game. Conduct government business on private email, claim fidelity to the guidelines regardless, profit. Oversight - essentially zero.

Superden

This is almost my local MP. He took 8 grand in tickets to sporting events from the gambling lobby and is MP for a very deprived area.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1418493049336963072.html
This is one of the reasons i couldnt bring myself to read Private Eye anymore. The levels of hypocrisy are off the scale, and in tandem with levels of suffering for everyday people. If if I was ever to become and MP, i think id last 5 minutes before picking up the Mace and knocking out one of these lying feckers with their constant bullcrap.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
This is one of the reasons i couldnt bring myself to read Private Eye anymore. The levels of hypocrisy are off the scale, and in tandem with levels of suffering for everyday people. If if I was ever to become and MP, i think id last 5 minutes before picking up the Mace and knocking out one of these lying feckers with their constant bullcrap.
Yeah I quit reading it years ago for similar reason - it's depressing. And the tired repeat 'trebles all round' stuff.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Congratulations Boris Johnson. Two years today as PM. But the poor chap is having to isolate at Chequers.

Despite all of the claimed successes - getting Brexit done and the vaccination programme, the UK will come to realise the true cost of his and his government incompetence and mistakes.

Brexit has and will be anything but a success going forward.

And the cost to the taxpayers of the Covid response has been assessed by the Public Accounts Committee as eye watering. Including billions in wasted PPE. Not to mention the billions wasted on the 'world leading' Track and Trace process which is still providing totally unfit for purpose.
But hey. The public love him, so what the hell.

Jericholyte2

Bet the Tory voters are proud.

NHS pay rise to come out of its budget as Government will give no more money
https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/22/nhs-...-government-will-give-no-more-money-14973178/
Sajid Javid in 3 months time, "When you ask me why your A&E unit is closing, or why the Oncology department in your local hospital is closing, I'd suggest you ask the self-serving, gready health care worker who demanded a fair, real life pay rise! It's THEIR fault, not ours!"

Fluctuation0161

Sajid Javid in 3 months time, "When you ask me why your A&E unit is closing, or why the Oncology department in your local hospital is closing, I'd suggest you ask the self-serving, gready health care worker who demanded a fair, real life pay rise! It's THEIR fault, not ours!"
Same strategy as "freedom day" it seems.

Flying high

Or, 'This just goes to show that the NHS can't manage it's budget, our only option is full privatisation'.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Same strategy as "freedom day" it seems.
Is that what Libertarian governing looks like when they actually get into power?

Do what you want.

*a little while later*

Well done, it’s all your fault you’re all dick heads.

Drifter

American
Why not have them walk down a street , throwing rotten vegetables at them , shouting shame.