Westminster Politics

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
Nah?

it’s not an opinion I’m expressing :lol: It’s a fact. I’m not sure how that graph you showed me disproves that the Nhs mis-spend money.
Sorry, please ignore all the graphs and actual numbers I’ve been posting, I bow to your facts that the NHS spends too much on toilet paper.

Fluctuation0161

Not sure that I understand how regulating would work, or would even be practical. Take the BBC for example. It has proved almost impossible to regulate it with scandal after scandal.
They are supposed to be accountable to the license payers. But are they really.

I accept that the media in general are part of the problem.
But it is a fact that you get the government you deserve.
And an apathetic electorate deserves an incompetent and immoral government which is exactly what we have and may well continue to have.
The BBC impartiality was ruined by Camerons government with changes in leadership to Tory supporters and constant threats of defending from the Tory government. The BBC has been compromised. Effectively it is regulated to support the government position now and feign impartiality.

The public only know what the media tell them. Education may provide the public with more tools for critical thinking but for the most part education is underfunded too. It seems the government like having a populace without too much capacity for critical thinking or questioning authority!

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The Tories continue to tax income, not wealth and people are arguing about NHS Spend, and actually graduates are richer than 97% of the world.

The people in this country love to suffer :lol:

Just let me know when everyone decides to protest and i'll be there, everything else is just waffle now.

Sweet Square

The Tories continue to tax income, not wealth and people are arguing about NHS Spend, and actually graduates are richer than 97% of the world.

Just let me know when everyone decides to protest and i'll be there, everything else is just waffle now.
Pretty much.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
So I'll pay about £250 more per year? Fine, whatever. But it doesn't get away from the reality that;

1) there's absolutely no fecking way that all of the money earned is going to the NHS, no matter what these lying cnuts say.
2) they'll look to find more ways to divide and rule/take more money in 6-12 months time for another reason that is a "difficult decision", presumably with some elite rich feck of a minister talking condescendingly to the public.
3) the cost of living is already mental and is only going to get worse, while we have pay freezes for (I'm betting) at least three years.
4) lower-wage earners are going to get fecked hard by this and nobody will care.

TheGame

Lib Dems got crucified for breaking a manifesto commitment but as with everything else, the electorate will lap this up and the Tories will end up staying ahead in the polls and getting in again. How depressing.

TheGame

They are loving the Brexit sovereignty, in all seriousness, politics in the country is well and truly in the gutter these days, what a joke!

Ludens the Red

Sorry, please ignore all the graphs and actual numbers I’ve been posting, I bow to your facts that the NHS spends too much on toilet paper.
Erm what, you posted one graph….which was very basic.
Go to Google (a search engine) and Google the phrase ‘ nhs money wasted’ you’ll be greeted with a significant amount of articles, figures and graphs. Arguing about the Nhs wasting money is like arguing against the sky being blue.

MikeUpNorth

Go to Google (a search engine) and Google the phrase ‘ nhs money wasted’ you’ll be greeted with a significant amount of articles, figures and graphs. Arguing about the Nhs wasting money is like arguing against the sky being blue.
:lol:

If the NHS is inefficient, then every other western health system is equally or more so.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
If I type "NHS sells kidneys on black market" into Google I'm pretty sure I could also find loads of articles.

In fact, googling "NHS money wasted" was interesting. Including the second result which was a BBC article on "NHS money wasted"

"In fact, a report by the Commonwealth Fund found it was the most cost-effective in the world."

Sweet Square

If I type "NHS sells kidneys on black market" into Google I'm pretty sure I could also find loads of articles.

In fact, googling "NHS money wasted" was interesting. Including the second result which was a BBC article(a website) on "NHS money wasted"

"In fact, a report by the Commonwealth Fund found it was the most cost-effective in the world."
Just a small edit to help @Leroy The Red.

Fluctuation0161

So I'll pay about £250 more per year? Fine, whatever. But it doesn't get away from the reality that;

1) there's absolutely no fecking way that all of the money earned is going to the NHS, no matter what these lying cnuts say.
2) they'll look to find more ways to divide and rule/take more money in 6-12 months time for another reason that is a "difficult decision", presumably with some elite rich feck of a minister talking condescendingly to the public.
3) the cost of living is already mental and is only going to get worse, while we have pay freezes for (I'm betting) at least three years.
4) lower-wage earners are going to get fecked hard by this and nobody will care.
It will be companies owned by Tory friends which cash in on the new care rules too.

Fluctuation0161

Any large organisation will have examples of wasting money. But that is not the core problem with the NHS. It is being under funded and privatised by stealth, being split up and various private companies offering non joined up care. Meanwhile the private companies are making plenty of money but the NHS is suffering.

Also, while you are on Google, look up "social care underfunded uk" and "UK ageing population" and you will find plenty of examples as to why the NHS is under even more pressure than ever while government funding is not matching the increased demands.

F-Red

Any large organisation will have examples of wasting money. But that is not the core problem with the NHS.
Having sold into the NHS on technology frameworks, I can talk with good authority that the NHS framework is one of their biggest problems in wasted money and a lack of efficiency, it's a huge problem that's never spoken about.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Having sold into the NHS on technology frameworks, I can talk with good authority that the NHS framework is one of their biggest problems in wasted money and a lack of efficiency, it's a huge problem that's never spoken about.
Aren't all procurement frameworks monumentally shit? Or is the NHS worse than others? I'm interested because I always thought the hoops we have to jump through with APUC couldn't be worse elsewhere.

F-Red

Aren't all procurement frameworks monumentally shit? Or is the NHS worse than others? I'm interested because I always thought the hoops we have to jump through with APUC couldn't be worse elsewhere.
The NHS is the worst I've experinced, the company I worked for at the time were trying to get on a framework to supply a unique service to them. It needed to go through a third party who added on a 8% charge on top simply having access to the framework. That's on one small service, multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of products and services that they procure and it becomes grossly inefficient and a money. Many won't say it, but a large part of unpreparedness of PPE during covid was due to the NHS's framework.

Flying high

The NHS is the worst I've experinced, the company I worked for at the time were trying to get on a framework to supply a unique service to them. It needed to go through a third party who added on a 8% charge on top simply having access to the framework. That's on one small service, multiply that by the hundreds of thousands of products and services that they procure and it becomes grossly inefficient and a money. Many won't say it, but a large part of unpreparedness of PPE during covid was due to the NHS's framework.
Can you back that up? I read that the maintenance of PPE stocks had been passed onto a private firm who had let levels dwindle and items go out of date due to bad stock management.

And it seems odd to blame the NHS for the fees of a third party.

F-Red

Can you back that up? I read that the maintenance of PPE stocks had been passed onto a private firm who had let levels dwindle and items go out of date due to bad stock management.

And it seems odd to blame the NHS for the fees of a third party.
Back what up? It's an opinion. If you have a rigid procurement framework which takes months, if not years, to open up suppliers that you don't deal with then it doesn't take a genius to work out that the same framework when a pandemic hits is not fit for purpose when agility is needed. It was that rigidity which left the door open for the Tories to manipulate the situation to their own benefit.

Fluctuation0161

Same. It is terrible. I wonder who set it up? And when?

But no worse than many other procurement systems from other, private companies. E-auctions and the like.

Point is, wastage and inefficiency is a convenient excuse for the neglect of our NHS funding by this government.

F-Red

Same. It is terrible. I wonder who set it up? And when?

But no worse than many other procurement systems from other, private companies. E-auctions and the like.

Point is, wastage and inefficiency is a convenient excuse for the neglect of our NHS funding by this government.
True, but they can fund themselves for their inefficiencies. Disagree on the final point, it's not so much an excuse but the two are closely linked, driving for true efficiency in simple things like product & services procurement meaning they can invest elsewhere is one part that needs addressing, and the neglect of funding by successive governments for the last decade is a separate and more pertinent one. I don't think any tax payer would want to see money chucked at anything with no accountability for improvement, I'm pretty sceptical of how much of this increase on NI (which is the wrong tax for this imo) will actually make any impact.

Flying high

Back what up? It's an opinion.
Okay.

If you have a rigid procurement framework which takes months, if not years, to open up suppliers that you don't deal with then it doesn't take a genius to work out that the same framework when a pandemic hits is not fit for purpose when agility is needed. It was that rigidity which left the door open for the Tories to manipulate the situation to their own benefit.
I can't say for sure, but it seems more than likely that the person who left the door open for the tories was..... the tories.

This is exactly the kind of setup they like. Take a large pot of public money which they can't touch, open it up for private tender, with the winner being assured of a closed setup to guarantee future income. Applications gladly received from absolutely any significant tory party donor.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
wastage and inefficiency is a convenient excuse for the neglect of our NHS funding by this government.
Yep.

The Tories have realised that talk about privatising the NHS is obviously hugely unpopular, so instead they've pivoted into framing policies around "saving the NHS" in order to capture working class votes. Everything they say they're doing, is in order to help "fund" the NHS and implement tax increases to everyone but the wealthy, while siphoning money to their buddies in the form of Government contracts.

Then the media wont challenge them on it, so those on lower incomes will support the policies because they're being led to believe that their tax money is the only way to "save" the NHS/Social Care/the economy etc.

MikeUpNorth

Would recommend watching this (long) session analysing the new social care and NI policy. Probably only worth it if you're a policy nerd.

Fluctuation0161

True, but they can fund themselves for their inefficiencies. Disagree on the final point, it's not so much an excuse but the two are closely linked, driving for true efficiency in simple things like product & services procurement meaning they can invest elsewhere is one part that needs addressing, and the neglect of funding by successive governments for the last decade is a separate and more pertinent one. I don't think any tax payer would want to see money chucked at anything with no accountability for improvement, I'm pretty sceptical of how much of this increase on NI (which is the wrong tax for this imo) will actually make any impact.
Absolutely. The NHS is being engineered to fail by the Tories.

When you've got health secretaries co authoring books on how to replace the NHS you know something is seriously wrong from the top down.

Jeremy Hunt co-authored book calling for NHS to be replaced with private insurance

'Direct Democracy: An Agenda For A New Model Party' called for the 'denationalisation' of the NHS

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...et-replacement-direct-democracy-a6865306.html

Sweet Square

Bet those constituencies are proper racist
If you're talking about the 3 tory seats - I could be wrong on this but I think one of the seats is Kensington which would have mostly gone labour in 2019 if the Lib Dem didn't run a former tory(Sam Gyimah) as their candidate to spilt the vote.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So the vast majority of all constituencies have more than 50% home ownership - and the Government designs policies that appeals to more than 50% of people in the vast majority of constituencies?

hard to be exact but what is it about 90% of constituencies have home ownership above 50% in that graph so yeah if you devise a campaign where you demonise that huge amount of voters you probably end up getting pasted in the election...

Balljy

Doesn’t Bristol switch quite a bit between Tory/Labour?
Depends on the area. Mine (Bristol East) has been Labour forever and not going to change soon and it's fully labour at the moment in terms of Westminster seats. A couple can flip occasionally though.

Councillors are an even split between Labour and Greens with the Tories trailing behind.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
the three constituencies are:

Cities of London and Westminister 31%
Kensington 39%
Chelsea and Fulham 40%

is that what you were expecting?
Boom what a rag taggle selection of massive racists

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff