Westminster Politics

Balljy

It needs more still. UK rail is the least heavily subsidised in Europe.

I dont really understand this budget at first glance. Loads of spending, tax cuts, but the overall borrowing is set to drop? Where will the money come from? They're treading a very fine line hoping GDP growth will cover it.

High speed rail in Italy is what killed Alitalia. It can be done, but the UK needs to stop pandering to every fringe group on the planet and make some big decisions.
There aren't tax cuts overall, although some of it is hidden by moving it around and the previously announced increase of NI plus freezing the income tax threshold means that taxes are increased pretty much across the board. Apparently the tax burden in the UK will be the highest it's been since the 1950's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59076532

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

I dont really understand this budget at first glance. Loads of spending, tax cuts, but the overall borrowing is set to drop? Where will the money come from? They're treading a very fine line hoping GDP growth will cover it.
Maybe they're using an old Republican trick of budget forecasting: dynamic scoring. It includes predicted growth or increased spending behavior by consumers in its estimates to offset the cost of tax cuts. It's also complete garbage. It's what Republicans in the US use to claim that their tax cuts for the wealthy will pay for themselves with increased growth.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
There aren't tax cuts overall, although some of it is hidden by moving it around and the previously announced increase of NI plus freezing the income tax threshold means that taxes are increased pretty much across the board. Apparently the tax burden in the UK will be the highest it's been since the 1950's.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-59076532
Plus a huge increase in corporation tax, from 19% to 25% in two years. It shows how spin works though, and we all fall for it at times, that's why it's done.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers

High speed rail in Italy is what killed Alitalia. It can be done, but the UK needs to stop pandering to every fringe group on the planet and make some big decisions.
Bang on. But as we have just seen from the budget/spending review, instead of focusing on the biggest problem facing both this country and the rest of the world - man made climate change, they make particularly stupid decisions like reducing the cost of internal UK flights.
It just gives climate change deniers the excuses they are looking for.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Plus a huge increase in corporation tax, from 19% to 25% in two years. It shows how spin works though, and we all fall for it at times, that's why it's done.
Not to mention the high likelihood of 5% plus Council Tax increases next year. And you can bet that the Police Levy will be much higher than that. Last year it was about 10%. For many people, Council Tax is their biggest monthly cost. And terrible value by the way because there is no competition.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Not to mention the high likelihood of 5% plus Council Tax increases next year. And you can bet that the Police Levy will be much higher than that. Last year it was about 10%. For many people, Council Tax is their biggest monthly cost. And terrible value by the way because there is no competition.
Quite agree about the rise, and who pays it. Not too sure I want competition as such in schools, fire, police, care and so on, I'd prefer that be measured by best practice. The problem with competition can be short-termism, next years profits, and no long-term planning or responsibility.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
London to Aberdeen flight time 1 and a half hours
London to Aberdeen train time 7 and a half hours

Bristol to aberdeen 1 and a half hours flight time
Bristol to aberdeen train time 9 hours

Time is money and all that so I don't think trains are going to effectively replace business trips etc on those routes even if the train is £1

That's right

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Quite agree about the rise, and who pays it. Not too sure I want competition as such in schools, fire, police, care and so on, I'd prefer that be measured by best practice. The problem with competition can be short-termism, next years profits, and no long-term planning or responsibility.
Yes. You are probably right about that. I guess it is because, apart from the refuse collection, we don't actually see where our hard earned cash goes. Yet another tax on top of the countless others.

Balljy

Yes. You are probably right about that. I guess it is because, apart from the refuse collection, we don't actually see where our hard earned cash goes. Yet another tax on top of the countless others.
I spent a couple of years at a council funded college in the IT department a few years ago. It had 5 people working in the department and virtually nothing to do apart from write SQL queries and basic maintenance. It was the most boring job I've ever had and I had to leave because turning up and doing nothing got boring after a while.

I kept in touch with a few people there and it turned out they employed 5 people because if they didn't the council budget for the department would get reduced and that was the only reason they were keeping the people on. A couple of years ago that got reduced to 2 people due to other cuts and apparently they still haven't got enough work for 2.

Central funding can be good, but it really needs a close eye and accountability, it can become funding for funding's sake quite easily.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I spent a couple of years at a council funded college in the IT department a few years ago. It had 5 people working in the department and virtually nothing to do apart from write SQL queries and basic maintenance. It was the most boring job I've ever had and I had to leave because turning up and doing nothing got boring after a while.

I kept in touch with a few people there and it turned out they employed 5 people because if they didn't the council budget for the department would get reduced and that was the only reason they were keeping the people on. A couple of years ago that got reduced to 2 people due to other cuts and apparently they still haven't got enough work for 2.

Central funding can be good, but it really needs a close eye and accountability, it can become funding for funding's sake quite easily.
Interesting isn't it. I knew someone working for the council street maintenance. He was young and pretty keen. But the job was so over manned and the rest of the guys spent most of the day reading the paper or on their phones. He said there were 3 in each van irrespective of the task. Like your friend, he got so bored that he left.

Fluctuation0161

Agreed.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

She’s literally just his PR manager at this point. It’s been 5 years of working towards this and now she’s leaving she’s not even bothering to do her actual job. Especially now Dacre and Dorries are going to be the only ones holding her to account.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
It always makes me laugh when I see this cnut criticising the Tories, as if he wasn't telling everyone not to vote for Corbyn at the last election.

What did he genuinely think would happen under this lot?

Jericholyte2

It always makes me laugh when I see this cnut criticising the Tories, as if he wasn't telling everyone not to vote for Corbyn at the last election.

What did he genuinely think would happen under this lot?
Whilst I fundamentally and strongly disagree with JO’B about Corbyn and his suitability for Labour leader and potential PM, I don’t believe that renders invalid his opinions about the Tories and how they’ve handled...well...everything recently.

Fluctuation0161

Whilst I fundamentally and strongly disagree with JO’B about Corbyn and his suitability for Labour leader and potential PM, I don’t believe that renders invalid his opinions about the Tories and how they’ve handled...well...everything recently.
He didn't help though, did he? In fact he helped contribute to this outcome.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Opposition offering a cohesive alternative? Maybe an opposition with some ideas or policies to engage with people.

A better education system?

A non complicit media?
Or just the fact that so many people are simply not interested in politics and only take an interest when something has a direct impact on them.
And I still believe that all of the Brexit issues polarised many so much that 'getting Brexit done' has put them off politics in general and Labour, such that they are just not interested.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He didn't help though, did he? In fact he helped contribute to this outcome.
Sure, so would you now prefer him to be helping oppose them, or just walk away? What gain is there for endlessly beating up on one of the few public voices now trying to hold them to account?

Jericholyte2

The combination of this suggestion to give themselves a veto button on any independent watchdog's findings, and Raab's suggestion that, “We will get into the habit of legislating on a more periodic basis and thinking about the mechanism for that,” he said. “Where there have been judgments that – albeit properly and duly delivered by the courts – we think are wrong, the right thing is for parliament to legislate to correct them.” is fully-fledged tyrannical fascist thinking.

There is no longer grounds for people to say, "Well they're not really fascists, at least we're not in Russia or North Korea!" as this is completely in line with the thinking of these dictatorships.