Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Indeed.
He is my hero.....
It’s really nice how he continues to spend public money on the crappiest white bread from Tory donors and promises there might be some crumbs falling down to the peasants at some point in the future.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

:houllier: Just days before COP26.... This policy is absurd and will push even more people to fly when they could take a train while taxing those who couldn't get to the UK by other means. I expect they think it will be a tax primarily on tourists and business people well off enough to pay the extra tax, but there's no reason to encourage more internal flights within the UK when trains should be a cheaper, more efficient alternative.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout

:houllier: Just days before COP26.... This policy is absurd and will push even more people to fly when they could take a train while taxing those who couldn't get to the UK by other means. I expect they think it will be a tax primarily on tourists and business people well off enough to pay the extra tax, but there's no reason to encourage more internal flights within the UK when trains should be a cheaper, more efficient alternative.
The policy makes no sense, I can only assume money has changed hands or favours called in for donations made.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s really nice how he continues to spend public money on the crappiest white bread from Tory donors and promises there might be some crumbs falling down to the peasants at some point in the future.
The guy is, like his leader, full of spin and bullsh1t.
Trying to pretend that he and his government are on the side of workers and the low paid.
If people cannot see through his spin, then I am truly sorry for them.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

London to Aberdeen flight time 1 and a half hours
London to Aberdeen train time 7 and a half hours

Bristol to aberdeen 1 and a half hours flight time
Bristol to aberdeen train time 9 hours

Time is money and all that so I don't think trains are going to effectively replace business trips etc on those routes even if the train is £1

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy

Time is money and all that so I don't think trains are going to effectively replace business trips etc on those routes even if the train is £1
I feel this post implies a level of importance to Aberdeen that it doesn't necessarily merit.

Fluctuation0161

"Time is money" is the well known catchphrase for the millions of daily commuters from Southern England to Aberdeen. A solution is exactly what the country was crying out for...

There's your problem. Trains are hideously expensive in the UK, overcrowded and slow. And you can't just run more of them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

This also depends on which airport you are flying from. Some London airports require a 30-60 minute journey to get to and then you have the 30-60 mins getting through everything so by the time that's over your 1hr 30 min flight can end up being 3-4 hours in total compared to getting the train which is in the centre. I don't think there is too much advantage in getting a flight from London to Edinburgh for example over getting the train. Most trains have wifi on them for long journeys which are decent enough to work on depending on your job. Flights are still beating trains in terms of speed of course but there is room to work with making trains a good alternative if they wanted to make the effort.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips

Aberdeen is one of the few cities in the UK I've never been to.
Bordeaux - Paris TGV 2h 4m - Adult fare outside holiday periods €10 to €20 single, distance 584km. France trying to discourage all internal flights.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
There's your problem. Trains are hideously expensive in the UK, overcrowded and slow. And you can't just run more of them.
Quite so. And despite the many billions poured into the railways.

Quite so. And despite the many billions poured into the railways.
It needs more still. UK rail is the least heavily subsidised in Europe.

I dont really understand this budget at first glance. Loads of spending, tax cuts, but the overall borrowing is set to drop? Where will the money come from? They're treading a very fine line hoping GDP growth will cover it.

Aberdeen is one of the few cities in the UK I've never been to.
Bordeaux - Paris TGV 2h 4m - Adult fare outside holiday periods €10 to €20 single, distance 584km. France trying to discourage all internal flights.
High speed rail in Italy is what killed Alitalia. It can be done, but the UK needs to stop pandering to every fringe group on the planet and make some big decisions.