Westminster Politics

Fluctuation0161

The combination of this suggestion to give themselves a veto button on any independent watchdog's findings, and Raab's suggestion that, “We will get into the habit of legislating on a more periodic basis and thinking about the mechanism for that,” he said. “Where there have been judgments that – albeit properly and duly delivered by the courts – we think are wrong, the right thing is for parliament to legislate to correct them.” is fully-fledged tyrannical fascist thinking.

There is no longer grounds for people to say, "Well they're not really fascists, at least we're not in Russia or North Korea!" as this is completely in line with the thinking of these dictatorships.
Yep. But I'd like to take a moment to blame Corbyn.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Laura K’s latest tweet talking about changing the rules “in light of what’s happened to Owen Paterson” :lol: she doesn’t even bother to hide it anymore.

TheGame

Fecking Boris with his 40 new hospitals line again. This whole process is a joke!

They are worried about a recall petition because that cannot happen unless he is suspended so they are trying to stop that!

MoskvaRed

We actually live in a banana republic :lol:
Even worse - under a monarchy and in a place where it’s too cold to grow bananas.

Not having a written constitution and instead relying on doing the right thing (aka ”conventions”) was always ripe for abuse. In a way, it’s surprising it survived into the second decade of the 21st century. There have always been ad hoc breaches and misuses but it’s only under the current bunch of crooks that we have seen a general application of the idea that standards, rules and even treaty obligations are for the little people.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
This is what happens when the tories get a large majority. Well done everyone.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It’s also hilarious that the ‘punishment’ was going to be a suspension from the commons for 30 days. Kind of wish Guy Fawkes was successful.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I am trying as much as possible not to care but it's not working. These guys are fecking unreal. What kind of country is this ffs!

RedChip

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Remember when Corbyn did stupid things like open his mouth, talk about policies, and oppose the government? Glad that doesn't happen anymore because it was that sort of thing that let the Tories get away with their endless bullshit.

TheGame

You don't usually abstain in absence, there's the whole proxy vote system.
There is no proxy vote system. There is only one if someone is away for childbirth or child related stuff. There was something in place for the pandemic but that has now expired in July I believe and the Tories (Rees Mogg) didn't want to carry it on.

Jericholyte2

It's a weird one as I genuinely think that Brexit voters for example actually cannot now vote against Boris, as it would mean that he wasn't their saviour, that he hasn't taken them to the promised lands of sunlit uplands. It would just mean he is what he is, a self-righteous bigoted piece of shit!

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Some of you need to get a life. Worrying about politics. Ha. There's more important things that actually have an impact on our lives to pay attention. Besides, the economy is doing really well so the Tories are obviously doing a good job *sips gruel from plastic bag*

RedChip

It's a weird one as I genuinely think that Brexit voters for example actually cannot now vote against Boris, as it would mean that he wasn't their saviour, that he hasn't taken them to the promised lands of sunlit uplands. It would just mean he is what he is, a self-righteous bigoted piece of shit!
I think there is truth to this theroy; the immovable proportions of both those that will vote Tory and think Brexit is good are pretty much the same.

TheGame

I think a lot of them can’t vote against anything related to Brexit in general as it would mean admitting they made a mistake and were lied to by their saviour.

Smores

There is no proxy vote system. There is only one if someone is away for childbirth or child related stuff. There was something in place for the pandemic but that has now expired in July I believe and the Tories (Rees Mogg) didn't want to carry it on.
The pairing system predates the pandemic they've been doing it for yonks it was just formalised with the pandemic because it was never a proper arrangement. The whips are supposed to sort it all.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
I kind of agree. BoJo has become the fulfilment, embodiment of their concpiracy theory ("britannia ruled the world when it was not in the eu"). Voting against BoJo must be hard for Brexiteers, probably as hard as for anti-vaxxers getting jabbed.

TheGame

The pairing system predates the pandemic they've been doing it for yonks it was just formalised with the pandemic because it was never a proper arrangement. The whips are supposed to sort it all.
But aside from that, there was a seperate proxy system initially for MPs giving childbirth but then the pandemic but it was scrapped in May.