Westminster Politics

Jericholyte2

Boris tells everyone what the rules are, then whinges that nobody told him what the rules were!!!

(Although at least he's wearing a mask this time)

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
The weakest of excuses known to man. This is the guy that was preaching to everyone during lockdown to obey the rules and yet says he didn't know the rules himself. The entire country read and the vast majority obeyed the rules for fecks sake.

What a turd of a human being.
Yep. As excuses go it's something a kid would say. I mean who the feck who was reading the rules out live every other night at that stage then? Joris Bohnson?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

Boris tells everyone what the rules are, then whinges that nobody told him what the rules were!!!

The most remarkable bit in that piece of footage is him saying “If I had my time again, I’d have told them all to go back indoors…” WTF?!

Ananke

"Are you saying Dominic Cummings is lying?"
Refuses to answer and instead diverts.

Classic politics.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I could see him announcing all restrictions lifted on 26th and then using that a reason to say his work here is done and he will hold the fort till the late spring whilst they run a leadership election

something like... only G7 country with restrictions lifted ... blah blah... Got Brexit Done... waffle waffle world leading vaccinations... something something...battled through Covid himself with a churchillian will to defeat the virus ... etc etc... spend time with the family ... and doms a cnut

Last edited:

cyberman

Didn’t he know it was against the rules when he was lying about being there 2 weeks ago?!

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
He smirks and looks like he's about to laugh every time he talks about anything because he's an unserious person who doesn't care about details, principles and the concerns of anyone other than himself. I'm fully aware that bringing him down solves nothing in the grand scheme of things but his premiership going up in smoke and him being remembered as one of the very worst PMs of all-time is really going to piss him off, so I'll take my comfort where I can.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He smirks and looks like he's about to laugh every time he talks about anything because he's an unserious person who doesn't care about details, principles and the concerns of anyone other than himself. I'm fully aware that bringing him down solves nothing in the grand scheme of things but his premiership going up in smoke and him being remembered as one of the very worst PMs of all-time is really going to piss him off, so I'll take my comfort where I can.
Ideally he needs to hang on and a steady stream of crap continues to hit him. Labour stand a chance against him but not against whichever deity the Tories make their new leader as the media swoon over them. I mean, for fecks sake they managed to make May's "Strong and Stable" become a soundbite that stuck.

Get rid of Boris and they'll just stick everything bad to him, and pretend like everything is fine again.

It also wouldn't help if the Labour vote became split with another party but that's up to them to bring voters back. If they had some policies that addressed fuel poverty and an attempt to undo the shit folk have been dealing with for a decade* and don't just go with "we're not Boris" then it might help.

*I'm not just talking about United fans hurr hurr

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Nobody told me? Wow... kids in school do not get away with that response.
It was a very predictable response.
This way, he can throw those advisers under the bus in the vain hope that will suffice. But it won't.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
But but. He got Brexit done.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes. A huge one. She's not dumb she simply genuinely believes that she and her peers are not subject to the same rules as the great unwashed.
I was being miscellaneous. But take your point.
EDIT.
Mischievous.

Last edited:

Spark

Yes. A huge one. She's not dumb she simply genuinely believes that she and her peers are not subject to the same rules as the great unwashed.
I actually think she is dumb. She wouldn't be near Home Sec in any normal administration and is the perfect example of how ideology has trumped merit in just about every cabinet position. She has made so many stupid mistakes and been censured for it that it's crazy she's in a position of power.

Oh and she's a horrible, self-entitled, cnut too - I don't disagree with what you're saying.

Smores

I actually think she is dumb. She wouldn't be near Home Sec in any normal administration and is the perfect example of how ideology has trumped merit in just about every cabinet position. She has made so many stupid mistakes and been censured for it that it's crazy she's in a position of power.

Oh and she's a horrible, self-entitled, cnut too - I don't disagree with what you're saying.
I've a friend that has had some interactions with her and this was pretty much his recount of her.

You can tell after a few interviews to be fair.

MoskvaRed

Ideally he needs to hang on and a steady stream of crap continues to hit him. Labour stand a chance against him but not against whichever deity the Tories make their new leader as the media swoon over them. I mean, for fecks sake they managed to make May's "Strong and Stable" become a soundbite that stuck.

Get rid of Boris and they'll just stick everything bad to him, and pretend like everything is fine again.

It also wouldn't help if the Labour vote became split with another party but that's up to them to bring voters back. If they had some policies that addressed fuel poverty and an attempt to undo the shit folk have been dealing with for a decade* and don't just go with "we're not Boris" then it might help.

*I'm not just talking about United fans hurr hurr
I personally would rather have Johnson out as soon as possible in order to end the embarrassment of having as PM this sociopath performing as a simian version of Bertie Wooster. However awful his successor (and he/she will be awful), none of the others have the same world beating capacity for telling outright lies, nor can they get out of scrapes by tousling their hair and faking a stutter.

It will also be an ugly inheritance - massive public spending over the last few years, a party wedded to an ideal of low tax, promises of levelling up in the newly won seats, the ongoing Brexit mess…And, in terms of the media drumming up support, no doubt they will try but there won’t be the remainer bogeyman (as for May) or the Covid crisis (the current incnutbent) to fall back on.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Cummings better have irrefutable proof. Getting fed up with his little teasers.
The question is what is he getting in return for his threats? It’s not the first time he’s promised evidence and then gone quiet.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I personally would rather have Johnson out as soon as possible in order to end the embarrassment of having as PM this sociopath performing as a simian version of Bertie Wooster. However awful his successor (and he/she will be awful), none of the others have the same world beating capacity for telling outright lies, nor can they get out of scrapes by tousling their hair and faking a stutter.

It will also be an ugly inheritance - massive public spending over the last few years, a party wedded to an ideal of low tax, promises of levelling up in the newly won seats, the ongoing Brexit mess…And, in terms of the media drumming up support, no doubt they will try but there won’t be the remainer bogeyman (as for May) or the Covid crisis (the current incnutbent) to fall back on.
I want to believe, I really do. I just think they'll always find an excuse. They'll even blame it on things that they've caused and none of their media chums will ever address it. We even had Dorries come out this week and say that pensioners will no longer be at risk of fines for not having a TV license, when she herself got rid of the free ones last year. They really are a party of twats and as long as the Shadow of Corbyn looks over Labour (with their elitist "Sir" of a leader) people will always flood to the working man's party that is the Conservatives...

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
This Sue Gray report is going to be just like the Mueller report. It’s going to establish facts but no judgement as it never intended to and in response Boris will say “thank you very much Sue, as you can see she’s not found me guilty of any crimes so it’s time to move on” and all the Tories will rally round him shouting “TOTAL EXONERATION”.

Jericholyte2

I’m just waiting for the inquiry to release findings that effectively exonerates Boris Johnson, only for whoever’s leaking stuff to release a five minute video of him, absolutely wrecked, singing Sweet Caroline whilst wearing a party hat with a bottle of wine in his hand!

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Yep. Worst thing they could do would be to give the public enough time to work out Rishi is a malevolent bluffer like all the others. They should keep the Boris train going until around a year before the next election if they can. Hopefully they can't but I'm not holding my breath.

DavidDeSchmikes

I want to believe, I really do. I just think they'll always find an excuse. They'll even blame it on things that they've caused and none of their media chums will ever address it. We even had Dorries come out this week and say that pensioners will no longer be at risk of fines for not having a TV license, when she herself got rid of the free ones last year. They really are a party of twats and as long as the Shadow of Corbyn looks over Labour (with their elitist "Sir" of a leader) people will always flood to the working man's party that is the Conservatives...
IMO, the media haven't gone in as hard on him as they did with Corbyn and Miliband. They will change once Johnson goes

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Generally not posted in this thread but I felt obliged to come in here and say, how does this guy continue to exist as PM? He’s more slippery than the uncleared grease on the deep fryer of a chicken and chip shop. But this one takes the absolute piss, surely? He decides the rules. He tells us the rules. Then he needs someone to tell him the rules for gun to follow the rules he made up and told us about? It’s beyond stupidity.

And frankly, a sorry reflection of why politics today is broken. Yes politics has always been about power and trying to convince voters of your credibility and plans. But now, it’s purely about party affiliation and power at all costs. How anyone in parliament can stand by this and be ok with this is such a dire reflection on where politics is.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We now read that Cummings is going to be interviewed as part of the Sue Gray enquiry.
While this is understandable, it means that the outcome could take more time.
My concern is that it increases the opportunity for the government to break some type of news story that would deflect attention away from the parties.
The longer this goes on, the more the public will become bored of this story.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
We now read that Cummings is going to be interviewed as part of the Sue Gray enquiry.
While this is understandable, it means that the outcome could take more time.
My concern is that it increases the opportunity for the government to break some type of news story that would deflect attention away from the parties.
The longer this goes on, the more the public will become bored of this story.
I don't think cummings being interviewed will add much time as I'm sure he will head down there ASAP to stick the knife in.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don't think cummings being interviewed will add much time as I'm sure he will head down there ASAP to stick the knife in.
Hopefully you are right.
This story is pretty much at saturation level and public attention span is being stretched.