Westminster Politics

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
It's like someone took the worst, harshest most mean-spirited teenage group in the most elite cnutish school in Britain and put them in Government.

It feels like it doesn't even matter now anyway, Boris 'won' didn't he. He blagged his way through life, lying and manipulating at every turn while nearly openly taking the piss out of the British people and he got to the very top. He'll surely spend the rest of his life laughing.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
It's like someone took the worst, harshest most mean-spirited teenage group in the most elite cnutish school in Britain and put them in Government.

It feels like it doesn't even matter now anyway, Boris 'won' didn't he. He blagged his way through life, lying and manipulating at every turn while nearly openly taking the piss out of the British people and he got to the very top. He'll surely spend the rest of his life laughing.
I think the failure might haunt him actually. I think deep down he knows he's thoroughly inadequate which is what drives him to keep trying to climb the mountain. He's not even a good enough bullshitter to get any good jobs outside of his after dinner schtick when he goes I don't think. Probably go back to being a shite journalist I suppose.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
:lol::houllier:

Suspect she realises nobody else is incompetent enough to let her close to cabinet

I wonder if the idea is to leak all the parties before the report comes out so the report does not seem so bad?

Suspect it's terminal for Boris now and it's a question of if he falls on his sword or when they chuck him under the bus

Fluctuation0161

I welcome the enquiry and support full EHRC enquiry with subsequent prosecution if its shown to be even half as bad as labour was under corbyn.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60108377

Any racism from any side is unacceptable.
How very measured of you. In sharp contrast to your regurgitated weaponised anti semitism claims for Corbyn and Labour.

The EHRC report on Corbyn was rather mild. No prosecution. Yet even before the enquiry or report you were using slurs implying anti semtism. Yet barely anything to say about this, no rants, no slurs, just waiting for a report. Either shows a lack of independent thinking or a massive bias, right?

You should also be careful of allowing the EHRC to solely define your morality.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2020/nov/30/politicising-ehrc-five-controversial-appointments

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
But unbothered.
Well, I'm unbothered in the sense that the point was irrelevant. I was drawing a link between terrorist attacks and racial prejudice.

Of course it's a known fact that anti-Irish attitudes have existed for centuries in Britain.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Well, I'm unbothered in the sense that the point was irrelevant. I was drawing a link between terrorist attacks and racial prejudice.

Of course it's a known fact that anti-Irish attitudes have existed for centuries in Britain.
So maybe it's less to do with terrorism and more to do with racism? Which of course tends to feed terrorism anyway.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
BBC Breakfast not challenging any of Grant Schapps claims that we’ve had the best vaccine roll out, the best economy in the G7 or that Johnson’s delivery of Brexit is anything other than an unmitigated disaster.

Smores

BBC Breakfast not challenging any of Grant Schapps claims that we’ve had the best vaccine roll out, the best economy in the G7 or that Johnson’s delivery of Brexit is anything other than an unmitigated disaster.
You should know by now that they're not allowed.

TheGame

It's absolutely shocking that either they are not challenged or that they have not done the basic research to challenge ministers when they lie. The press are complicit for the state we are in.

Raulduke

Now Boris will be "unable to comment due to ongoing police investigation" :rolleyes:

Edit:
And there we have it :lol:

Last edited:

littlepeasoup

Like it's been said a million times before, No.10 is crawling with police at all times of the day. No chance they didn't know what was going on, and just turned a blind eye to it all.

Met Police... investigate yourselves while you're at it, you morally bankrupt asshats.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
The same Met Police that insisted they weren't systemically racist? I wont hold my breath.

Raulduke

Sounds to me like Sue Gray passed some evidence to the Met. A day after she was reportedly in contact with Cummings too.

And he's just RT'd this :eek:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
It will be interesting as the longer he stays, the closer he gets to the election as the Met investigation will presumably take a while so will the Tories get rid now.
Next election is 2024 at the latest; I can’t see any investigation taking that long.

His days are surely numbered now though - would expect a leadership challenge in the next few weeks. Though I kind of hope he survives it as he’s a huge liability now

Smores

I'm not sure that's a good thing as the threshold for the police is going to far higher and any statements very measured.

It'll probably work out in his favour.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
This is bad news isn't it? We were about to get the Gray Report and now it'll never see the light of day...

The met police investigation will just rumble on for years and amount to nothing.
Is the right answer

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Cool, so when the police come back and say there's insufficient evidence of criminal activity (which will be portrayed as TOTAL VINDICATION as some of our cooler and smarter members might say) the report will be published and because it's for weaker charges it'll seem like getting a punch in the head after being kicked in the balls - not as bad so let's just move on and keep recovering from the pandemic, blue passports grumble grumble harrumph etc

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Ah, from Dick herself.

But she repeats her previous points about how some events are not being investigated.
And they're not going to say which ones they're investigating. So they can come out and say "Junior ministers breach the guidelines, but there's nothing to suggest Boris did" while not even investigating any of the events that Boris was at.

This is fine. If he stays all Starmer has to do is keep reminding people that, regardless of whether it was "legal or not", Boris is a lying fecker who partied whilst people lost loved ones.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Ah, from Dick herself.

And they're not going to say which ones they're investigating. So they can come out and say "Junior ministers breach the guidelines, but there's nothing to suggest Boris did" while not even investigating any of the events that Boris was at.
I don’t know how a finding like that can be possible considering he’s now admitted to being at several events in breach of the guidelines (which were law at the time).

We need a revolution 1917 style (@Sweet Square would be game).

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Cunning ploy, but I'm not sure he has the support any more for it to work. He's going to come under even more intense pressure now.

TheGame

I'm not sure that's a good thing as the threshold for the police is going to far higher and any statements very measured.

It'll probably work out in his favour.
That may be the case for other crimes, but if the Police have prosecuted others for similar events then the threshold is quite basic surely. But it's worth noting that they can only give out FPNs. The fact a sitting Prime Minister is being investigated by the Police should be an issue alone.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
There’s absolutely zero fecking reason for this report not to be published while the investigation is ongoing.

Any other investigation would put the evidence out into the public domain seeking witnesses to come forward.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Gray says the reason for investigation is three-fold:

• Those breaking the rules should have been aware of the rules
  • Not investigating would undermine the legitimacy of the law
  • Where there is little ambiguity around the absence of any reasonable defence
She goes on to inform the committee that as a result of information provided by the Cabinet Office, and as a result of the Met’s own inquiries, the Met is now investigating a number of events.

She says that fixed penalty notices may not be issued to every person involved, and they won’t give a running commentary
That to me seems to suggest that the report is pretty conclusive in that people knowingly broke the law and have no reasonable defence

the best boris can hope for is to limp on to defeat in the May elections before being thrown out - thats probably the best scenario for labour as well... im not sure the conservative MP's will be so keen on such an outcome

Smores

Yeah the real test will be the May elections. Even if the police (who i have no doubt were asked by No 10 to investigate) fail to act i do wonder if the public will have already made their mind up.

We know the hardcore Brexit lot will consume any bollocks but Cummings wasn't forgiven and it may be that Boris isn't either.

I'm relieved Starmer has finally decided it's time for harsher words. I just hope he isn't going to go back in his shell whilst this police 'investigation' is carried out.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Not a chance in hell he makes it till May. The birthday party news leak was the killer blow, the next set of polling is going to be fecking brutal. This Met ploy (while apparently buying him time) also puts on additional pressure. In exchange for more time, he's also elevated the seriousness from 'civil servant looking into it, might get slap on wrist' to 'police looking into it, might have committed a criminal offense'. He's fecked.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
Yeah the real test will be the May elections. Even if the police (who i have no doubt were asked by No 10 to investigate) fail to act i do wonder if the public will have already made their mind up.

We know the hardcore Brexit lot will consume any bollocks but Cummings wasn't forgiven and it may be that Boris isn't either.

I'm relieved Starmer has finally decided it's time for harsher words. I just hope he isn't going to go back in his shell whilst this police 'investigation' is carried out.
My prediction for the Met to wrap the investigation up and the heavily redacted (to protect names in the investigation) Gray report to be released is just after the elections and just before parliament goes into recess at the end of May.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
My prediction for the Met to wrap the investigation up and the heavily redacted (to protect names in the investigation) Gray report to be released is just after the elections and just before parliament goes into recess at the end of May.
Exactly. It's pathetic, just kicking the can down the road in the hopes the public forget. I thought the police were supposed to be independent of the government, or is this country more right wing than I realised?