Westminster Politics

Kaos

Sadly I don't think this has any bearing on their public perception, those likely appalled would likely never vote Tory anyway, and those that do won't be bothered. Might even see a Con (+2) bump.

Anyway I'm sure they can hire sun_tzu to churn out some hilarious 'Jezbollah' quips to help illuminate the real issue of bigtory.

Superden

Nope, anti semitism was never weaponised for political purposes, never was. See the daily mail leading with stories about Katie price today.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Let's be brutally honest, islamophobia is much more accepted/ tolerated in British/ Western society in general by the general population that anti-semitism/ bigotry against Hindus or other religious minorities would be.

I don't think a lot of people will care about this and even some of the ones who would wouldn't care enough to make it change their vote.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Let's be brutally honest, islamophobia is much more accepted/ tolerated in British/ Western society in general by the general population that anti-semitism/ bigotry against Hindus or other religious minorities would be.

I don't think a lot of people will care about this and even some of the ones who would wouldn't care enough to make it change their vote.
Yep. First black MP was in the 19th century (albeit a slaver's son), first Jewish MP likewise. Ok there wasn't a black MP again in the 20th century until 1987 I don't think, but there was never a Muslim MP at all until 1997 which is crazy really when you think how many Muslims there are in this country. And the first female Muslim MP? 2010!

You have to figure part of it is perhaps about Islamic culture as well I suppose but it cuts both ways, clearly they've been ostracised to some extent even if some degree of it might have been "self imposed" as well.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism

It's because of the highly publicised terrorist incidents from the minority jihadist elements of Muslim society. Same as anti-Irish sentiment in the 1970s and 1980s.

Not saying it's right, but it will always be the way the narrative will go in such circumstances.

Fluctuation0161

True.

Smores

How on Earth can Blackpool have a Conservative MP.
Not that surprising is it? The constituency is largely a mix between the old and the uneducated. It's also incredibly white which tends to trend towards higher racism.

Fluctuation0161

It's because of the highly publicised terrorist incidents from the minority jihadist elements of Muslim society. Same as anti-Irish sentiment in the 1970s and 1980s.

Not saying it's right, but it will always be the way the narrative will go in such circumstances.
Yes, divide and rule is how they rule over the "plebs". Has worked for centuries on various topics and continents.

It's because of the right wing media and politicians whipping up racial and religious hatred after these events rather than pointing out it is a tiny minority of Muslims.

https://www.independent.co.uk/voice...rise-in-islamophobia-in-britain-a6967546.html

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

As expected then.

It was obvious from the moment they threw all their eggs in Sue Gray’s basket that they were going to be in complete control of the release of the report.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably

Pretty sure "no blacks, no Irish, no dogs" type sentiment pre-dates the Troubles by a long way...1950s or so. And anti-Irish sentiment was around long before their struggles for independence started as well https://victorianweb.org/history/race/Racism.html

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

As expected then.

It was obvious from the moment they threw all their eggs in Sue Gray’s basket that they were going to be in complete control of the release of the report.
They're being dumb again. They've talked through report up too much now to get away with hiding the results. I'm sure they'll certainly try to obfuscate but I don't see it working.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point

As expected then.

Just wait for the inevitable leak

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
They're being dumb again. They've talked through report up too much now to get away with hiding the results. I'm sure they'll certainly try to obfuscate but I don't see it working.
We all know how this works. They will release excerpts, people will rage, and after a few days they'll finally release the whole thing. The report will stop short of saying that Johnson is a lying scummy scummerson anyway so Boris will live to fight another day. They just want to keep stretching this out as much as possible in the hopes that Putin will invade Ukraine and the spotlight is off their mop headed overlord.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
It’s the Mueller report all over again.

TOTAL EXONERATION!

The report will establish facts, the idea is that government officials are supposed to take accountability. This government doesn’t. So the facts will be reframed by the government and released how they want them released and nobody will take any accountability.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
It’s the Mueller report all over again.

TOTAL EXONERATION!

The report will establish facts, the idea is that government officials are supposed to take accountability. This government doesn’t. So the facts will be reframed by the government and released how they want them released and nobody will take any accountability.
Nah, the Tories aren't in lockstep like the Republicans. Boris will try and release a headline that makes him look less bad, but then people who want his job will leak the thing or brief harmful details and then the whole thing will come out and burn him. He just doesn't have enough support from his party for them to help him cover it up. They know that if they go into the local elections with him in charge they're going to get massacred.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses

Racism is bad, unless its against Muslims, how media portrays it.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Boris doesnt give a shit. Mr Teflon rides again and the British public just lap it up.
Hmm. Not sure about that.
His behaviour, constant lies and taking the piss out of the public has damaged him badly.
And his invincibly will never be the same.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Nothing wrong with telling the truth...
Unless its about a party that happened when the whole country was told not to meet other people? Or when you need to drive to check if your eyes were ok to travel 2/300 miles back home when you weren't meant to be leaving your house? Etc etc

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history

Well if we're bring brutally honest I'd go as far as to say that Islamaphobia is actually a vote winner for large swathes of their voter base, to such an extent that it wouldn't surprise me if they got a much needed bump in the polls with this news.

Denis79

Well if we're bring brutally honest I'd go as far as to say that Islamaphobia is actually a vote winner for large swathes of their voter base, to such an extent that it wouldn't surprise me if they got a much needed bump in the polls with this news.
Very much so, especially in the northern parts of Europe. In many of those countries muslims are painted by the conservative right-wing as the main problem causing several social problems like criminality, unemployment etc and it's working as those parties are gaining ground.

My work takes me around many parts of Europe for prolonged periods of time and in some countries the islamaphobia is ridicolous, had a conversation once on the subject with fellow colleagues in a northern European country (let's leave it un-named) and they talked passionately about how Islam threatened their culture and way of living, it was like watching a movie about WW2 and the Nazis, scary as feck.