Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Exactly. It's pathetic, just kicking the can down the road in the hopes the public forget. I thought the police were supposed to be independent of the government, or is this country more right wing than I realised?

owlo

I’m not comfortable with police involvement in this. It should be purely political, with political punishment.

Drifter

American
This is going to take some time , by which time we could be involved in activities in Ukraine and most people would have moved on.

F-Red

I’m not comfortable with police involvement in this. It should be purely political, with political punishment.
Why? 18,000 people were fined for doing the exact same thing he and his office were doing. It's quite clear that laws were broken, embarrassing that they've broken the laws they've made but a basic principle of upholding the law, is key here.

Whether the Met will actually investigate is another question, but given that they would of had a good idea of what was going on at Number 10 means they're just as complicit. If the police don't act or involve themselves in this, then why would those handing out political punishments think any differently?

owlo

Crimes were committed…
So give the commons/lords proper investigative power and a way to remove them.

Why? 18,000 people were fined for doing the exact same thing he and his office were doing. It's quite clear that laws were broken, embarrassing that they've broken the laws they've made but a basic principle of upholding the law, is key here.

Whether the Met will actually investigate is another question, but given that they would of had a good idea of what was going on at Number 10 means they're just as complicit. If the police don't act or involve themselves in this, then why would those handing out political punishments think any differently?
Because the police are a branch of the state. Having them investigate the state is problematic in so many ways. Super easy to go from this to priti Patel ordering an ”investigation” into starmer or whatever pre election if she feels the tories are in bother. Plus the state can effectively use them to stall investigations if they like. The police should never be a tool in these political fist fights.

It also puts them into a privileged position when negotiating for more autonomy and authoritarian tactics. It reduces their accountability, and starts down a rabbit hole. Imagine the police want to prosecute, Boris changes the law or tells them to feck off, and the police start withdrawing support. Weakens democracy.

also I’ll note this is theatre from the met. They’ll just issue fines which the tax payer will pay. After paying for the investigation. I’d rather my tax money go to social care or the nhs.

What we actually need is a political mechanism to investigate him.

Raulduke

Members of the cabinet have been haemorrhaging credibility trying to defend him and he leaves them high and dry like this :lol:

Maticmaker

Crimes were committed…
Everyday in every way... in my neighborhood, (North of Watford) most people would be happy if the Police could catch whoever it is stealing the garden furniture around here... has there been a shortage, why would people steal Garden furniture??

Oh wait a minute... its all these illicit parties in No.10, have to get the furniture from somewhere, 'leveling up' and all that!

Balljy

So give the commons/lords proper investigative power and a way to remove them.

Because the police are a branch of the state. Having them investigate the state is problematic in so many ways. Super easy to go from this to priti Patel ordering an ”investigation” into starmer or whatever pre election if she feels the tories are in bother. Plus the state can effectively use them to stall investigations if they like. The police should never be a tool in these political fist fights.

It also puts them into a privileged position when negotiating for more autonomy and authoritarian tactics. It reduces their accountability, and starts down a rabbit hole. Imagine the police want to prosecute, Boris changes the law or tells them to feck off, and the police start withdrawing support. Weakens democracy.

also I’ll note this is theatre from the met. They’ll just issue fines which the tax payer will pay. After paying for the investigation. I’d rather my tax money go to social care or the nhs.

What we actually need is a political mechanism to investigate him.
Currently you're right, by being part of state it is open to question whether the government can change the way they operate and stall investigations. The college of policing is theoretically going to become fully independent from the state at some time in the future. The official line is when "parliamentary time allows" but until that happens it's open to abuse.

I don't agree that making the commons be the final line for investigations is the answer though, as that's even more open to abuse as we see from all the investigations being run by the PM's mates.

College of Policing - Wikipedia

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Everyday in every way... in my neighborhood, (North of Watford) most people would be happy if the Police could catch whoever it is stealing the garden furniture around here... has there been a shortage, why would people steal Garden furniture??

Oh wait a minute... its all these illicit parties in No.10, have to get the furniture from somewhere, 'leveling up' and all that!
Do you always have to speak in riddles? :lol:

neverdie

They should forget about the parties and investigate on charges of bribery and corruption instead. That would mean it would move beyond a token issue and a token politician.

Remember the lobbying, or bribery, carried out by frontline politicans and corporations? Surely that's more important than breaking Covid restrictions. I think they'll be happier to investigate the second and sweep the first under the carpet.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I’ve said all along, Johnson is the gift that keeps on giving. It’s like killing the goose that lays the golden eggs.

This is party wide corruption from the Tories, they should be targeting the entire party including attacking Sunak who lives next fecking door to all these parties.
Sunak would have been present for most of them. The media right now is still under right wing control. ALL of the focus is on Johnson. A narrow field investigation about his adherence to the rules.

If he goes, nobody will re-litigate the other attendees. Everyone else will get off Scott free.

It’s being pitched as shining the light on the truth. It’s just another smokescreen.

owlo

Currently you're right, by being part of state it is open to question whether the government can change the way they operate and stall investigations. The college of policing is theoretically going to become fully independent from the state at some time in the future. The official line is when "parliamentary time allows" but until that happens it's open to abuse.

I don't agree that making the commons be the final line for investigations is the answer though, as that's even more open to abuse as we see from all the investigations being run by the PM's mates.

College of Policing - Wikipedia
At the end of the day, if the PM/president has a huge majority in a democracy he pretty much has unfettered power to change laws to his liking anyway. Only his mates can remove or stop him from doing that. I’d personally give the lords that function though then we’d have crap about “unelected stooges stopping populist Boris” - perhaps have a US type system where the lords investigate and then send it to the commons. I don’t think out mps are that partisan yet,.

About the police, having them independent is fine as long as they maintain integrity. The question is how do you do that? What do you do when a heavy handed chief decides he’ll investigate the government unless they allow him to use extra force or have a shoot on sight policy for drug dealers. That balance of power is important; there are many democracies where police power is out of hand. Police accountability is super important.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Now we can all see that the 'wait for the outcome of the enquiry' was a complete and utter con.
It has zero to do with any form of investigation and everything to do with delaying tactics.
Since when did the police carry out a timely investigation. There is going to be delay after delay after delay.
Let's be absolutely clear on this.
There was never going to be the type of enquiry Boris promised. It is a sham.

Vernon Philander

Oldest trick in the book - delay delay delay until the sting is out of the story.

See also: Russia interference Report into UK Politics

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
I also had to check. It's only like 5% too on the nose. :lol:

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Sorry I should have put in my post - Sir Michael Take (‘mickey take’) is a parody account.
My not really justified sense of pride in never falling for it is somewhat diminished by the fact I never got the name until reading this.

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
I have to add whoever runs the account is a genius, and I only realised it was a parody myself when @Jippy pointed it out to me! :lol: