Westminster Politics

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
would it not be more of an issue if they went against the approved professional practice?

Presumably opposition parties will be looking to use parliamentary privilege to name people anyway as I suspect it will become well known pretty quickly round west minister who has been fined?
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55840764

It doesn’t seem to be something the MET has had any issue with in the past?

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-55840764

It doesn’t seem to be something the MET has had any issue with in the past?
As it has for all fixed penalty notices issued during the pandemic, the MPS will follow the College of Policing Approved Professional Practice for Media Relations which states that “Identities of people dealt with by cautions, speeding fines and other fixed penalties – out-of-court disposals – should not be released or confirmed.”
erm you sure about that ?

and they confirmed this back in early January

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/politics/downing-street-says-refuse-name-26108338

The Met said on Tuesday afternoon it would be following the usual practise of not naming anyone issued with an fixed penalty notice.

Smores

You'd imagine they won't name directly themselves but if called to a committee they will name individuals when asked.

They'll end up named I'm sure as it directly identifies if the prime minister lied about criminal acts.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
erm you sure about that ?

and they confirmed this back in early January
Did you read the article?

You’re quoting to me from their latest press release and proving that it aligns with how they said they would handle it at the start of this investigation.

The example I gave to you was the MET directly commenting on and naming individuals from their investigations last year which proves that they are entirely selective about how they apply this rule.

Charles Holland, representing the Met Police, told the committee hearing that Mr Bhattarai admitted he had been "contacted by Ms Ora's representatives and offered £5,000 for the use of the premises that evening".
Naming and shaming a celebrity is fair game, naming and shaming Tory politicians not so much apparently.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The example I gave to you was the MET directly commenting on and naming individuals from their investigations last year
Did the Met publicly name people (not to parliamentary committee which could still be a possibility here) who had been issued with a penalty notice ... yes or no?

Because if they did then send me a link and lets report them for breaking police guidelines

I suspect they didn't (as per the guidelines)

That said im sure people will use parliamentary privilege to name people

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days

Marr proving what we all suspected when he was working for the BBC.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
The Met delay tactic has worked to perfection really hasn't it? Not that I think this was ever the thing that should have finished off any of the Tories given all the other appalling things they have regularly done and do (most of the ministers should be in jail for fraud/theft/violation of human rights if there were any justice), but it was the one scandal that stuck and then the Met go and save them by sticking their oar in.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt

Marr proving what we all suspected when he was working for the BBC.
Apart from that, it's a totally brain dead logic.
Almost everything pales in importance to war. Does that mean nothing else is important? The two are not related. Marr can go feck himself.

Pexbo

Supports
Big Days
I know how Will Smith felt about his wife being criticised, says Rishi Sunak

Rishi Sunak has said he finds it "very upsetting" that his wife has faced criticism over shares she owns in a tech company operating in Russia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-60941902
Rishi Sunak and Will Smith both saw their wives mocked, but the chancellor says: "At least I didn't get up and slap anybody."
Kindly feck off BBC.

Rishi’s wife was criticised for her dealings with Russia.

Jada Smith was mocked for her illness.

Big fecking difference and way to trivialise the valid criticisms of his billionaire wife’s share in a company dealing with a regime committing war crimes.

Hephaestus

State of these shitstains. Even blaming the war in Ukraine for this u-turn. feck every single one of these bastards.

Sweet Square

Anyone else seen this?
Tbh it’s misleading for them to focus just on the Tories, as I’m sure New Labour were all over Putin as well. It’s just standard British government policy, imo less a moral failing and more having the same class and material interests.

Sweet Square

Cheers. Thought it was odd that the video skips the years between 99 and 08.

Also this was doing the arounds a few weeks back. Blair from 2014

Tony Blair will urge the West today to reach out to Vladimir Putin in the fight against radical Islam, despite the Russian president's militant stance over Ukraine. The West must put aside differences with Russia over Ukraine to focus on tackling the threat from radical Islam, the former prime minister will warn.

It is unknown what the former Labour leader would like to happen to the people of Ukraine and Crimea in the interim.

Highlighting the "growing" danger from religious extremism – and the West's apparent "reluctance" to fight it – the former prime minister is to call for it to be elevated to the "top of the agenda", rather than the ensuing crisis in Ukraine.

Blair’s criticism of politicians being uncomfortable talking about religion comes after Prime Minister David Cameron ran into criticism for speaking about his Christian faith and characterising Britain as a Christian country.

Failing to "take sides" with moderates in the Middle East and North Africa could mean the 21st century is dominated by conflict rather than peaceful co-existence, Blair will say.

“We have to stop treating each country on the basis of whatever seems to make for the easiest life for us at any one time. We have to have an approach to the region that is coherent and sees it as a whole,” he will say. Ahead of the speech, Blair – a peace envoy – also warned the West would pay a "very heavy price" for not intervening in Syria.

The politician is due to make the intervention in a speech at Bloomberg in London this morning.
It comes with tensions still running high in eastern Ukraine, and after Russia was jettisoned from the G8 group of nations over Vladimir Putin's decision to annexe the Crimea. But Blair will describe a wider crisis with its roots in "a radicalised and politicised view of Islam, an ideology that distorts and warps Islam's true message".

But Blair will describe a wider crisis with its roots in "a radicalised and politicised view of Islam, an ideology that distorts and warps Islam's true message". "The threat of this radical Islam is not abating. It is growing. It is spreading across the world.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/amp/entry/tony-blair-ukraine-putin-_n_5196236/

Fluctuation0161

Anyone else seen this?
Staggering when the links between Conservative party and Putin's Russia are broken down like that. This is why Johnson should have to resign, there should be a massive restructuring of political funding regulation in the UK sad Lebdevev should be stripped of his peerage. British media ownership also needs a massive regulatory review.

Fluctuation0161

Tbh it’s misleading for them to focus just on the Tories, as I’m sure New Labour were all over Putin as well. It’s just standard British government policy, imo less a moral failing and more having the same class and material interests.
I'm sure Starmers Labour would have loved donations from the same trough too.

There should be serious implications for this and a much more detailed investigation and uncensored report afterwards. Won't happen though.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
We ought to be careful not to judge the Russia of today and the Russia back then.
After the fall of the Berlin Wall and breakup of the Soviet Union, it was government policy to get much closer to Russia. Same for many European countries and the US.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I'm sure Starmers Labour would have loved donations from the same trough too.

There should be serious implications for this and a much more detailed investigation and uncensored report afterwards. Won't happen though.
Amen.

Fluctuation0161

How about we stop this 'they're all the same' stuff, and stick to actually criticizing politicians for things they actually do?
Once Starmer demonstrates his Labour party is different. I will stop thinking both Labour and Conservatives are so closely aligned it barely makes a difference anymore.

Starmer is maybe slightly less corrupt. But he still lies and breaks his pledges to voters. Is that enough to get behind him?

Jericholyte2

Anyone listening to LBC right now?

Hearing people call in about what they're going through even before this hike up! A single mum with three kids who's having to boil water so she can wash, and saying how she feels GUILTY about this even when she is working full time!

When are we going to the streets about this!?!?!?! Where has the 'Poll Tax Spirit' gone?

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Once Starmer demonstrates his Labour party is different. I will stop thinking both Labour and Conservatives are so closely aligned it barely makes a difference anymore.

Starmer is maybe slightly less corrupt. But he still lies and breaks his pledges to voters. Is that enough to get behind him?
One is a politician moving a bit away from his initial promised policies. The other is a government that openly tells complete lies, enacts policies that kill hundreds of thousands of people, plunge millions into poverty, treats the law like it doesn't apply to them, and gives away billions of pounds in corrupt deals to its donors and mates.

Yeah I think those two things are not particularly closely aligned.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The Met delay tactic has worked to perfection really hasn't it? Not that I think this was ever the thing that should have finished off any of the Tories given all the other appalling things they have regularly done and do (most of the ministers should be in jail for fraud/theft/violation of human rights if there were any justice), but it was the one scandal that stuck and then the Met go and save them by sticking their oar in.
Bang on.
Whenever I heard one of the government saying... let's wait for the outcome of the Sue Gray investigation and then for the MET investigation, you knew exactly what that meant.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
One is a politician moving a bit away from his initial promised policies. The other is a government that openly tells complete lies, enacts policies that kill hundreds of thousands of people, plunge millions into poverty, treats the law like it doesn't apply to them, and gives away billions of pounds in corrupt deals to its donors and mates.

Yeah I think those two things are not particularly closely aligned.
Could not have put it any better. Boris and his government has literally got away with murder and robbery and will absolutely continue to do so.