Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Anyone listening to LBC right now?

Hearing people call in about what they're going through even before this hike up! A single mum with three kids who's having to boil water so she can wash, and saying how she feels GUILTY about this even when she is working full time!

When are we going to the streets about this!?!?!?! Where has the 'Poll Tax Spirit' gone?
Agreed.
There are many thousands of heart-rending stories of people struggling now. Let alone when faced with the avalanche of staggering price rises coming now.

And it is exactly because there are zero actual protests by the public that the weasel of a chancellor can get away with doing nothing meaningful. While pretending he is.

I get that sense that people are just trying to look after themselves and expecting others to take the hit.

Sweet Square

I'm sure Starmers Labour would have loved donations from the same trough too.
Yeah atm they are desperate for any sort of money(Tends to happen when you boot out a ton of your membership)

2020 Starmer -
Starmer’s team turned down the offer to be pictured alongside Lebedev, though said they were prepared to send a supportive quote.
2022 Starmer -
Starmer, a former director of public prosecutions, wrote to Lord Bew, the chair of the House of Lords appointments commission, to ask him to reassess the peerage. “For Boris Johnson to nominate to the House of Lords someone who has promoted the worst conspiracy theories and defences of Vladimir Putin shows just how flawed the prime minister’s judgment is,” he said.

“The accusations made by Lord Lebedev that the British security services had any involvement in the murder of Alexander Litvinenko is insulting. I have seen first-hand the real impact of Russian interference in Britain and the difficulties prosecutors encounter when dealing with those who act on behalf of Putin. This is a clearly a matter of national security.”

https://theguardian.com/politics/20...ned-down-photo-op-with-evgeny-lebedev-in-2020
One is a politician moving a bit away from his initial promised policies.
:lol:

Dobba

James O'Brien pretending he gives a shit about these people again. Give it a fortnight before he's telling us about the latest good Tory he's discovered... who just so happens to never vote against the whip

Jericholyte2

If he had a weekend in Margate instead would you feel 'we're all in it together'?
That's just daft! The where of it doesn't matter! He's fecking off on holiday whilst people are at their whits end in desperation.

Although on second thought, yes the location does matter, because he's running! Buggering off thousands of miles away where he'll have no fecking clue about what's going on. No risk of anyone running up to him about this over there.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
That's just daft! The where of it doesn't matter! He's fecking off on holiday whilst people are at their whits end in desperation.

Although on second thought, yes the location does matter, because he's running! Buggering off thousands of miles away where he'll have no fecking clue about what's going on. No risk of anyone running up to him about this over there.
Cut him some slack, he knows exactly how Will Smith felt because he and his wife have it pointed out to them that their obscene amount of wealth whilst fecking over the poorest in society is deplorable, and that makes him get a sad face.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
James O'Brien pretending he gives a shit about these people again. Give it a fortnight before he's telling us about the latest good Tory he's discovered... who just so happens to never vote against the whip
What on earth? :lol:

Dobba

What on earth? :lol:
Before she left politics and reached a level of fame fit for Strictly, he was a huge Anna Soubry fan, who lost his mind at callers for pointing out how pally he was with her and how it contrasted with his faux concern for all the austerity she voted for and defended. He then did the same for Dominic Grieve and Rory Stewart. Like I said, the good Tories...who just happened to have voted for all the things that directly led to the incidents he's now pretending to care about.

Berbasbullet

Before she left politics and reached a level of fame fit for Strictly, he was a huge Anna Soubry fan, who lost his mind at callers for pointing out how pally he was with her and how it contrasted with his faux concern for all the austerity she voted for and defended. He then did the same for Dominic Grieve and Rory Stewart. Like I said, the good Tories...who just happened to have voted for all the things that directly led to the incidents he's now pretending to care about.
So having good relationships with a few tories (obviously because of their takes on brexit, except Rory), means he doesn't care? He is one of the best radio broadcasters in my opinion (albeit a low bar), and I disagree with a decent amount of what he says but he tries to have genuine conversations and sets out to answer things and educate himself with great callers.

Dobba

So having good relationships with a few tories (obviously because of their takes on brexit, except Rory), means he doesn't care? He is one of the best radio broadcasters in my opinion (albeit a low bar), and I disagree with a decent amount of what he says but he tries to have genuine conversations and sets out to answer things and educate himself with great callers.
Well he had Soubry on air and she claimed that, Brexit aside, the Tories were doing a good job to which James, oh so passionate campaigner for the victims of austerity, mustered up complete and utter silence.
Compare and contrast that to how he treats the Dave from Devons who ring him up and tells people who can't feed their kids that they should sell their flat screen TV and cancel their Sky subscription.

Which of the two does he hold to account when he actually has the chance to do it whilst they're there listening?

DavidDeSchmikes

Well he had Soubry on air and she claimed that, Brexit aside, the Tories were doing a good job to which James, oh so passionate campaigner for the victims of austerity, mustered up complete and utter silence.
Compare and contrast that to how he treats the Dave from Devons who ring him up and tells people who can't feed their kids that they should sell their flat screen TV and cancel their Sky subscription.

Which of the two does he hold to account when he actually has the chance to do it whilst they're there listening?
'Schooling' and 'owning' a random caller gets more views, likes and retweets than a chummy interview with Soubry

Berbasbullet

Fair enough mate, I personally like him as he often takes a neutral position on a subject and gets his callers to educate. In comparison to Nick Ferrari crying on the radio this week about the poor poor landlords being in trouble due to poor tenants (did they consider eating less avocado on toast?), different tastes for different people, he is certainly far from perfect, I don't want to derail this thread about a radio presenter so happy to leave it there. :D

Offsideagain

Sir Kier Tarmer texted his congratulations to Lebedev ‘ Congratulations on your elevation to the House of Lords. All best wishes, Kier’. Smacks of hypocrisy one would suggest but then the bloke hasn’t had an original thought since he could walk. I wonder if he Was looking to give the Chinese woman that funded Labour a peerage too? They are all the same. Bandwagon riders. Funny how Covid has gone out of the news and it worse now than ever. Boris is a liar, Starmer is useless and clueless. We are in desperate times and all these MP’s on £75k pa plus exes are full of platitudes.

lynchie

Sir Kier Tarmer texted his congratulations to Lebedev ‘ Congratulations on your elevation to the House of Lords. All best wishes, Kier’. Smacks of hypocrisy one would suggest but then the bloke hasn’t had an original thought since he could walk. I wonder if he Was looking to give the Chinese woman that funded Labour a peerage too? They are all the same. Bandwagon riders. Funny how Covid has gone out of the news and it worse now than ever. Boris is a liar, Starmer is useless and clueless. We are in desperate times and all these MP’s on £75k pa plus exes are full of platitudes.
It's interesting to see how much traction Lebedev got by publishing this obvious copy/paste generic insincere text, that Starmer, and probably all senior MPs, send to all new lords.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sending a polite message to a political associate who will be a crossbench peer, and giving a peerage to someone that your security services keep telling you is a national security risk aren't remotely similar.

Berbasbullet

Have you ever wished someone well at work that you barely know? Interesting he didn't publish Johnsons messages....

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
When I was growing up in the 80s and 90s my grandparents, who all served their country in World War 2 and risked their lives, had to choose between heating and eating due to the decisions of a Tory Government.

I can honestly say Johnson and his Tory Government have ensured that the people no longer need to make that choice between heating and eating. Because millions can now no longer afford to do either.

chris123

Literally no logic to privatising a self-sustaining company, other than you don't like what that company represents and you want to gut it from the inside. Totally disgraceful. The Conservatives have literally nothing to offer this country anymore so they are trying anything they can to gut our democracy before the next election.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Yeah, not true. Was covered plenty on what was an otherwise busy news day on BBC News today.
A
At the time I posted it was only in the entertainment section, second article below the one about some EastEnders actor passing away. My statement was valid when I made it, tbf.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Can Labour not just say they'll renationalise C4 immediately if they win the next election? Would that put potential buyers off?

I mean I know they probably won't but could they?

Also the cynic in me thinks that they're deliberately not doing anything about the energy crisis and people's bills so they can pull a 'rabbit out of the hat' near election time and say, "look we're gonna save you all this money by doing X" (even though they could do more now).

I fully expect the culture wars to go to the next level as well as we get nearer to that date. I reckon trans rights is a shoe in to be used as a political football because that really seems to upset the usual crowds and a fair few more. Also bound to see a replay of 'Keir Strarmer got Jimmy Saville off the hook.'

Last edited:

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Truly baffling. Why? It pays for itself already.
But it could be a BRITISH* provider of entertainment** and news*** that will show the world that we're still an empire!!!

*Foreign owned
**Knob jokes
***Lies and shite

CraftySoAndSo

Speaking in Russian towards the end of the video, the prime minister says Vladimir Putin stands accused of war crimes, but that he doesn't believe the president is acting in the name of his people.
Wonder where he learnt to speak Russian.

Fluctuation0161

The Channel 4 sale story should have its own thread.
Scandalous.
On top of a long list of scandals. It is surely an attempted coup at this stage, win elections by controlling the UK media naerative and squash any opposing views (eg C4). All while working with Russian owned British media and Russian funded Tory party donations.

A Tory Britain to be proud of.