Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Yes agreed but apathy is as bad as acceptance and agreement.
Labour desperately need a strong leader which they haven't had for some time. This has to be the starting point. The Tories know they have almost a free rein to do anything. Only Ian Blackford really stands up to them but he has no real power.

People have opinions on social media but trolls are deliberately employed to counter your opinion if it deviates to what it 'should be'. The difference with most other European countries is the British press who are more able to influence what people are 'supposed to think'. I know the British like to think that they have a free British press but until you leave the UK, only then will you really notice the difference. And it's much worse now than when I left fifteen years ago.
Appreciate your thoughts and yes, the British press is very one sided. Unfortunately.
And although I have very little involvement in social media, this site aside,
the political threads and posts here in general quite left wing.
So I guess Red Caf is certainly not reflective of the country at large.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
Appreciate your thoughts and yes, the British press is very one sided. Unfortunately.
And although I have very little involvement in social media, this site aside,
the political threads and posts here in general quite left wing.
So I guess Red Caf is certainly not reflective of the country at large.
RedCafe is definitely not reflective of most of social media. It's quite reasonable , friendly and respectful even though there are a few people with very strange views and obnoxious. Brexit certainly threw up a lot of arguments.
I'm not a social media person either and have no other accounts but you can see what goes on just by going online.
You may want to look at an old video of London in the 1960s on youtube. Just don't look at the endless stream of racist comments underneath.

The current Tories are close to tipping the UK over the edge. Someone has to stand up to them.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Some really believed this guy gave a shit about the North.

Balljy

RedCafe is definitely not reflective of most of social media. It's quite reasonable , friendly and respectful even though there are a few people with very strange views and obnoxious. Brexit certainly threw up a lot of arguments.
I'm not a social media person either and have no other accounts but you can see what goes on just by going online.
You may want to look at an old video of London in the 1960s on youtube. Just don't look at the endless stream of racist comments underneath.

The current Tories are close to tipping the UK over the edge. Someone has to stand up to them.
When was the last major protest against a government bill (100,000 or more)? There's seems to be less people standing up at the moment, and I'm not sure why.

I'd guess the 90's, but I'm probably forgetting a couple.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
The earliest one of those purely anti-government I can see is the poll tax one in 1990. Maybe the hunting one?
Yeah the Countryside Alliance ones were opposing specific legislation and were basically manifestations of Tory voters fears of the Labour Government.

Mind you it is even more depressing if that's the case - the only people who put together an anti-government protest in the last three decades were Tories!

Frosty

Labour's Starmer and Rayner return police questionnaire over lockdown drink

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-61848134

Labour leader Sir Keir Starmer and deputy leader Angela Rayner have returned questionnaires to police investigating whether they broke Covid rules, a party spokesman has said.

Durham police are looking into whether the rules were violated after Sir Keir was caught on camera drinking a beer in an MP's office in April 2021.

The pair deny breaking lockdown rules.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Doubtless come the next election they will as well. Labour needs to offer a compelling alternative or the seats will remain blue.
Absolutely bang on.
To be honest, I have been reasonably supportive of Starmer thus far, on the basis that Labour really are the only alternative to this increasingly dangerous Tory government.

But as many rightly say, they have to offer the electorate something tangible and not just an anything but Tory vote.
More recently, I am having strong second thoughts about his ability to provide the clear leadership and policies that really are going to motivate enough people to vote Labour at the next election.
He is doing just about ok. But nothing like enough.
And I have to say again that it would not surprise me if he were to go before Boris.
And maybe that would not be a bad thing.

Jericholyte2

Absolutely bang on.
To be honest, I have been reasonably supportive of Starmer thus far, on the basis that Labour really are the only alternative to this increasingly dangerous Tory government.

But as many rightly say, they have to offer the electorate something tangible and not just an anything but Tory vote.
More recently, I am having strong second thoughts about his ability to provide the clear leadership and policies that really are going to motivate enough people to vote Labour at the next election.
He is doing just about ok. But nothing like enough.
And I have to say again that it would not surprise me if he were to go before Boris.
And maybe that would not be a bad thing.
The awkward thing at the moment with Labour is that, due to the various crises and proverbial fires that we’re facing, they are in a bind due to the ability of our government to take policy and use it.

Take the windfall tax. The Tories can now go and campaign saying they enacted the windfall tax to protect the British people blah blah blah, but whilst Labour can take the political win after calling for it for months, the impact is lessened for them because ‘we called for the tax and the Tories did it’ won’t hit well on doorsteps.

They have to have an arsenal of policies in the proverbial back-pocket so as soon as a GE is called they can get their manifesto out and say we’re doing this and this and this.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The awkward thing at the moment with Labour is that, due to the various crises and proverbial fires that we’re facing, they are in a bind due to the ability of our government to take policy and use it.

Take the windfall tax. The Tories can now go and campaign saying they enacted the windfall tax to protect the British people blah blah blah, but whilst Labour can take the political win after calling for it for months, the impact is lessened for them because ‘we called for the tax and the Tories did it’ won’t hit well on doorsteps.

They have to have an arsenal of policies in the proverbial back-pocket so as soon as a GE is called they can get their manifesto out and say we’re doing this and this and this.
Quite agree with your point about the Windfall Tax, which forced the Tories into a complete U turn.
My frustration is simply that Starmer is not looking like he is popular enough with the public.
And I have to wonder whether a more forceful leader would not have made the required impact.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
The fact that she won't back down has F All to do with so called British values, which she clearly does not understand.
It is totally down to the fact that she is wrong.
And she is trying to justify that she has spent a huge sum of taxpayers money on a stupid plan that has been successfully challenged by the ECHR which we are a member of.

And her rediculous threats that she wants Britain to pull out of the ECHR just makes her look even more isolated than she already is.
Such a nasty piece of work.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
They’re just escalating the sickness of it all. imagine having so much hate in your blood

Paul the Wolf

The Nationality and Borders Act 2022 is brutal.

It is now illegal to enter the UK without permission.

Someone can have their citizenship removed without notice.

If you are an asylum seeker you must claim asylum at 'a designated place'.

https://freemovement.org.uk/nationality-and-borders-act-in-force/
The 'designated place' being Tristan da Cunha, a British Overseas Territory with its own constitution.There is no airstrip on the main island; the only way of travelling in and out of Tristan is by boat, a six-day trip from South Africa

Superden

Why don't we just build Auschwitz mkII and cut out the foreplay?
we live in a country where a significant minority think this is a great idea. (the tagging, not auschwitz...but then again..perhaps its a slippery slope after all).

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
we live in a country where a significant minority think this is a great idea. (the tagging, not auschwitz...but then again..perhaps its a slippery slope after all).
Yep and it will likely be a vote winner. We could also make them wear a big gold M for migrant so we can all sneer at them.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Meanwhile in Mark Francois news.

Mark Francois has the last laugh
Tory MPs Jacob Rees-Mogg and Sir Iain Duncan Smith – in top hats with morning coats – joined Nigel Farage and former British Ambassador to Washington Sir Christopher Meyer at Mark Francois’s wedding, right, last weekend. Around 130 guests squeezed into All Saints Church, Hutton, in Essex, to sing Jerusalem and I Vow to Thee My Country, before the reception at Hutton Hall, the childhood home of Francois’ wife Olivia.

“If it wasn’t for Jacob, none of you would be here,” Francois told the guests, explaining that he only met Olivia when she asked him to arrange a selfie with Rees-Mogg.

It capped a good week for Francois, who has declared £13,477 in royalties after selling 5,000 copies of his self-published memoir Spartan Victory. The Brexiteer has had the last laugh on the 20 publishers who rejected it because of – he says – their pro-Remain bias. He says: “Nearly 5,000 copies for a self-published book is pretty respectable – even if Will Self didn’t buy as many copies as I’d hoped.”
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/06/17/good-week-mark-francois/

Superden

her comment was: << If it was France, if we were sending people to Sweden, New York, Sydney, would they [the critics] change their mind? That actually speaks of inbuilt prejudice and, I would even go as far as to say, racism >>
WTF? they are utterly batshit crazy. and every one of their bigoted supporters who complains about actual victims of racism, using the 'racism card', should be hit in the head. hard.

Paul the Wolf

her comment was: << If it was France, if we were sending people to Sweden, New York, Sydney, would they [the critics] change their mind? That actually speaks of inbuilt prejudice and, I would even go as far as to say, racism >>
WTF? they are utterly batshit crazy. and every one of their bigoted supporters who complains about actual victims of racism, using the 'racism card', should be hit in the head. hard.
Obviously the point that they shouldn't be sending them anywhere has completely escaped her. Utter scum, the whole lot of them and anyone who supports them.

Frosty

For some context: