Westminster Politics

Oldyella

Someone is making themselves look Prime Ministerial. I wonder why?

Isn’t there also some damaging stuff on the way about him and the russian agent?
Step in as party leader before the next GE? Gets to claim its a fresh brush and all that nonsense and despite it being bull shit people will buy it.

Badunk

Shares his caf joinday with Dante
Step in as party leader before the next GE? Gets to claim its a fresh brush and all that nonsense and despite it being bull shit people will buy it.
"I like Boris. He nearly died from Covid. He got all the big calls right. He was funny on the BBC 20 years ago. He knows Latin."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I bet they'll refuse to debate it and say "we've already responded directly to it" with this;

"The UK is a Parliamentary democracy and the Conservative Party remains the majority party. The Prime Minister has pledged to ensure opportunity and prosperity for all people and future generations."

WPMUFC

what are the odds of a real 'she's finished" moment at the conference? Could we see some actual theatrics to really try and kill her off? A Bojo ******* rushing the stage telling her to resign etc etc?

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
this is exactly what I think will happen - a couple more bad interviews or feck ups from Truss and I suspect he’ll be back as soon as Easter

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Liz Truss 'needs a reset moment', admits insider
Jessica Elgot and Pippa Crerar report:

The slogan for the Conservative party conference, printed on its brochure, is Getting Britain Moving, prompting a stream of jokes and memes online as it was revealed on the day mortgage lenders began to pull their products and the pound slid to its lowest level.
After a catastrophic week, Liz Truss hopes the conference will give her some space to wrest back control of the party and set out her plans on her own terms. “She needs a reset moment,” one insider admits. “Although she currently seems to be the only person who actually thinks that might be possible.”
The absences at the Tory conference will say as much as the speeches. Rishi Sunak, Boris Johnson, Jeremy Hunt, Sajid Javid, Mel Stride and David Davis are all Tory big beasts who are steering clear of Birmingham.
Two ousted cabinet ministers, Grant Shapps and Michael Gove, will be speaking on the fringes. Shapps has hinted he is likely to be loyal, in the hope of making a cabinet return, while Gove plans to speak out judiciously on the environment. Another former cabinet minister said he would be there “but in heavy disguise”.

Jericholyte2

I keep saying this like a broken record but we need to be on the streets and not stopping until these cnuts are gone!

It’s the last power grab of a corrupt leadership knowing their time dipping in to the nation’s proverbial cookie jar is up, so they’re going for every last red cent they can get their grubby little paws on.

Fluctuation0161

what are the odds of a real 'she's finished" moment at the conference? Could we see some actual theatrics to really try and kill her off? A Bojo ******* rushing the stage telling her to resign etc etc?
2 or 3 more media interviews will finish her off.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I applaud them but annoyingly this group has a chance to be this election's Momentum, splitting the Labour vote, and resulting in the Tories dragging themselves over the finish line.

neverdie

I applaud them but annoyingly this group has a chance to be this election's Momentum, splitting the Labour vote, and resulting in the Tories dragging themselves over the finish line.
i don't think anyone in that group is going to vote tory. it's labour's job to put something down that appeals to them, which they should be able to manage easily enough without moving to the left of trotsky.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
i don't think anyone in that group is going to vote tory. it's labour's job to put something down that appeals to them, which they should be able to manage easily enough without moving to the left of trotsky.
Even if the Labour candidate isn’t everything everyone on the left desires, why not just coalesce behind that person to ensure no more Tory rule for a while?

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Just so you know, Tories are going to be crying about Mark Hamilton all next week.

neverdie

Even if the Labour candidate isn’t everything everyone on the left desires, why not just coalesce behind that person to ensure no more Tory rule for a while?
i think that's exactly what will happen but it won't be "free". starmer will have to give people on the left something even if it's going to be a vast compromise on what they want, or need. the tories are done. what makes that depressing is that it could be up to two years before the ge. i think there should be a clause in parliamentary democracies surrounding polling. assuming you have been in government for a long enough period of time, like more than 50% of your term, then if at any point over a given month of polling you demonstrate a >20% average deficit in popular support, then that should automatically trigger a general election. there's a scenario now where labour is polling 20-30% higher than the tory government which has had its leader selected, again, by a fraction of the population.

phelans shorts

i think that's exactly what will happen but it won't be "free". starmer will have to give people on the left something even if it's going to be a vast compromise on what they want, or need. the tories are done. what makes that depressing is that it could be up to two years before the ge. i think there should be a clause in parliamentary democracies surrounding polling.assuming you have been in government for a long enough period of time, like more than 50% of your term, then if at any point with a given month of polling you demonstrate a >20% deficit in support, then that should automatically trigger a general election. there's a scenario now where labour is polling 20-30% higher than the tory government which has had its leader selected, again, by a fraction of the population.
More prescient would be that a general election should be triggered whenever a prime minister steps down. It’s ludicrous that such a small voter base can choose the prime minister.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
i think that's exactly what will happen but it won't be "free". starmer will have to give people on the left something even if it's going to be a vast compromise on what they want, or need. the tories are done. what makes that depressing is that it could be up to two years before the ge. i think there should be a clause in parliamentary democracies surrounding polling. assuming you have been in government for a long enough period of time, like more than 50% of your term, then if at any point over a given month of polling you demonstrate a >20% average deficit in popular support, then that should automatically trigger a general election. there's a scenario now where labour is polling 20-30% higher than the tory government which has had its leader selected, again, by a fraction of the population.
That sounds solidly common sensical enough, but who would be the final arbiter of the popular support average?

neverdie

More prescient would be that a general election should be triggered whenever a prime minister steps down. It’s ludicrous that such a small voter base can choose the prime minister.
the lack of any real constitution, except in theory, is problematic. a lot of these rules have be codified over the years in ways which no longer make sense. i'd generally agree with this, with potential caveat on term limit. the earlier it happens in this scenario, the more emphasis there should be on returning to the public. i can see that being argued away as "not presidential system".

That sounds solidly common sensical enough, but who would be the final arbiter of the popular support average?
i'd set up an apolitical aggregator, funded by the state. a bbc type outfit linked to the electoral commission. the scenarios whereby it would happen are limited to examples like this really. don't see how it hurts a democracy, either. it couldn't be a factor for up to 2.5 years of a 5 year term in the first instance, and would have to be a monthy aggregate demonstrated by a bipartisan outfit. not without problems, but surely better than what we have now. but the gist is that to qualify you'd have to be so far beyond representing the public that a general election makes sense for the national interest, a principle which would extend to either party. i'm not without enormous criticisms of starmer's labour but i know it's in the national interest for the public to go to the polls.

Dan_F

Just so you know, Tories are going to be crying about Mark Hamilton all next week.
I’m sure every question is going to pre written in advance by Truss’ team. Let’s see how many times she says “focusing on growth”.

Gove could be interesting (yuk) though. Wasn’t he backing Sunak?

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

Unless the chair of John Lewis is seriously Pro Liz then that show is going to be a bloodbath.