Westminster Politics

Raven

This is something I've raised in this thread before, the left don't know how to win.

In the last election the Lib Dems and Labour stole votes from each other whilst the Brexit party stood down in seats where it was going to be closely contested. The left don't care about winning, they care about purity and 'being right'. Its morally laudable to say that a LD and Labour candidate might disagree on some things, but in the main they agree on one major thing: the disagree with the Tories. However rather than being pragmatic, they compete over the minor issues rather than focussing on the bigger picture and working together to win a left-wing coalition.

In the 2019 GE the popular vote was almost an even 50/50 split between the left and right parties, but the Conservatives won a thumping majority. In my own constituency the Tory (the only right wing candidate) got 49.5% whilst Labour, LD and the greens combined for 50.5%. People voting LD and the greens might have thought they were doing the right thing, but in reality their votes directly elected the Conservative MP. I cannot fathom the mindset of someone who vote LD or greens in a tightly contested seat.

For the left to win, tactical voting must become the norm.
On which planet are the Lib Dems left wing?

Raven

They’re basically the BBC. Culturally they are left wing, economically they are right wing.
So they aren't left wing then, which would explain why a left wing coalition, including the Lib Dems can't and won't work.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
So they aren't left wing then, which would explain why a left wing coalition, including the Lib Dems can't and won't work.
Agreed. Labour shouldn’t go near Lib Dem’s.

Drainy

They really think the outside world has any confidence in the UK government.
Have they forgotten the £65bn BoE intervention?

You can't wait 2 years to get this lot out.
Most of the grown ups were frog marched out of the room a while back.

We're not getting a sensible government without an election and they are at least smart enough to know it's turkeys voting for Christmas at the moment.

DavelinaJolie

They really think the outside world has any confidence in the UK government.
Have they forgotten the £65bn BoE intervention?

You can't wait 2 years to get this lot out.
They haven't, but they are hoping that most people are not clued in enough to know about how this is all working.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
There will be carnage when people start getting their bills.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
There will be carnage when people start getting their bills.
The people get the government/rulers they deserve. Even if they think they "didn't vote for it". Yes I include myself in this pain.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff

Good news for first time buyers buying a terraced house in London on a 30k salary!
There’s a surprise, your man scully got hammered on question time last night about first time buyers, mortgage rates, disappearing mortgage types etc
Not surprised the spin has started

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Someone is making themselves look Prime Ministerial. I wonder why?

Isn’t there also some damaging stuff on the way about him and the russian agent?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC

Someone is making themselves look Prime Ministerial. I wonder why?

Isn’t there also some damaging stuff on the way about him and the russian agent?
Might aswell start counting down the days. He'll be back.

hodgey123

Surely we won't actually be getting Boris back? Though saying that, the government's conduct has lurched from "it can't get any worse than this, can it?" for the last 12 months at least (some could say years) so let's not rule anything out.

Fluctuation0161

We don't need wildly transformative stuff done by politicians, wild transformation is fantasy land and it's dangerous and risky.

The majority of the electorate don't like dangerous and risky, the majority of the electorate have families to look after and some assets or debts to service. Wild and transformative is a risk to them, they want to help the more needy but not at a cost to them.
That's because, "you're alright Jack".

Fluctuation0161

Yes she only got 50 mps back her in the first round so she's not exactly got the best base of support

Can see the mps picking the next leader... its actually only quite recently the members have picked

Ids
Cameron
Johnson
Truss

Howard and may were unnaposed I think
Apparently anyone, even non UK residents living abroad, can become a Conservative member. To me, voting in Truss almost looks like sabotage.

If Russia influenced Brexit (links to funding Farage backer Aaron Banks) and had links to major Tory donors and some of Boris Johnsons close personal friends had familial links to the old KGB, is it not possible that the Tory membership had also been infiltrated?

Just a thought. I have no definitive conclusion on this.

Fluctuation0161

This is something I've raised in this thread before, the left don't know how to win.

In the last election the Lib Dems and Labour stole votes from each other whilst the Brexit party stood down in seats where it was going to be closely contested. The left don't care about winning, they care about purity and 'being right'. Its morally laudable to say that a LD and Labour candidate might disagree on some things, but in the main they agree on one major thing: the disagree with the Tories. However rather than being pragmatic, they compete over the minor issues rather than focussing on the bigger picture and working together to win a left-wing coalition.

In the 2019 GE the popular vote was almost an even 50/50 split between the left and right parties, but the Conservatives won a thumping majority. In my own constituency the Tory (the only right wing candidate) got 49.5% whilst Labour, LD and the greens combined for 50.5%. People voting LD and the greens might have thought they were doing the right thing, but in reality their votes directly elected the Conservative MP. I cannot fathom the mindset of someone who vote LD or greens in a tightly contested seat.

For the left to win, tactical voting must become the norm.
I agree that tactical voting is necessary if the Tories are to lose. I couldn't understand why Jo Swinson did the total opposite last election and invested more funds to battle Labour constituencies.

More accurately, the Tories are the establishment party, they are the status quo for the rich and powerful. Any party that doesn't threaten or offers to enhance the lives of the rich, the influential and media owners tend to benefit from more postive media coverage. The irony is that if a party supports those 3 groups then the normal working people on basic wages suffer the most.

The Purley King

Is it because you live in a castle like your name suggests?
I wish
Our house is over 100 years old with a dodgy roof so probably scores pretty poorly on the energy efficiency scale.
Also I have a wife who grew up in a hot climate and has very poor tolerance for low temperatures.
I grew up in a house where my mum would have the bedroom window open overnight in all weathers and you could sometimes see the breath in front of your face when you woke up even if you were still nice and cosy underneath the duvet. That and consistently being the first kid in school to come in wearing shorts (February is fine for that apparently) and I am almost impervious to cold now.
Don’t need to tell you who wins the thermostat battle in my house!

Baneofthegame

I wish
Our house is over 100 years old with a dodgy roof so probably scores pretty poorly on the energy efficiency scale.
Also I have a wife who grew up in a hot climate and has very poor tolerance for low temperatures.
I grew up in a house where my mum would have the bedroom window open overnight in all weathers and you could sometimes see the breath in front of your face when you woke up even if you were still nice and cosy underneath the duvet. That and consistently being the first kid in school to come in wearing shorts (February is fine for that apparently) and I am almost impervious to cold now.
Don’t need to tell you who wins the thermostat battle in my house!
:lol: Not you!

My house is much of the same, my wife basically can’t stand the cold either so tomorrow is not a good day for me!

The Purley King

I’ve ordered electric blankets for all the beds (only a single one for the double bed my wife and I have) and we are committed to not having heating on overnight.
It can turn on at 0600 and warm the place up for the morning.
The money we have wasted in the past makes me want to puke. We can’t afford to do the same thing now!

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
I’ve ordered electric blankets for all the beds (only a single one for the double bed my wife and I have) and we are committed to not having heating on overnight.
The money we have wasted in the past makes me want to puke. We can’t afford to do the same thing now!
What ones did you buy ?

The Purley King

What ones did you buy ?
I went with the dreamcatcher ones.
not selected by anything more scientific than Amazon reviews. They should arrive on Monday .
It claims 2p per hour usage although that has probably gone up a bit recently but I figure turn them on for 30 mins before you get in then turn them off again once you are in and then all good.
hopefully!

DavelinaJolie

I bought an IKEA padded throw/blanket in 2008 that is pretty huge, fits well over the bed down to the floor. We stick that on over our duvet and it's so warm in the bed we don't need the heating on.

Balljy

I went with the dreamcatcher ones.
not selected by anything more scientific than Amazon reviews. They should arrive on Monday .
It claims 2p per hour usage although that has probably gone up a bit recently but I figure turn them on for 30 mins before you get in then turn them off again once you are in and then all good.
hopefully!
I found turning it up before going to bed then down to 1 or 2 the best if you're using them as the only heat for sleeping. Turning it off meant waking up at 3am for me as it still gets cold quickly. I've found mine using below 2p per hour though.