Westminster Politics

Smores

Whats the big deal about that ffs.
Might be an age difference/experience thing but personally i grew up knowing never to use that term and I'm shocked a politician casually slipped it out. Still Tories play up to thier base and it won't exactly lose them votes

Sweet Square

Aw jesus people have a lot to be getting offended by.
Might be an age difference/experience thing but personally i grew up knowing never to use that term and I'm shocked a politician casually slipped it out. Still Tories play up to thier base and it won't exactly lose them votes
I think its a age thing as I've only heard this term from older people. It seems like it was a ''innocent'' slip up but shows just how little thought Amber Rudd has when it comes to anti racism.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
May croaking her way through PMQs. It feels harsh to hold it against her but I've never heard of a politician prone to losing her voice at key moments. The farcical and comedic element cannot be avoided, even at such a serious political time.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
He's not just this bumbling buffoon like so many people think, he's actually a reprehensible human being.

"Keeping numbers high on the streets is certainly important. But the question is where you spend the money and where you deploy the officers," he said.

"One comment I would make is that I think an awful lot of the money, an awful lot of police time, now goes into these historic offences and all this malarkey - £60m I saw was being spaffed up the wall on some investigation into historic child abuse and all this kind of thing.

"What on earth is that going to do to protect the public now? What the people want is to see officers out on the streets doing what they signed up to do."

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
He's not just this bumbling buffoon like so many people think, he's actually a reprehensible human being.
"Why waste time learning from our past mistakes" sounds like something Boris would say.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
Morally we do not accept homosexuality as a valid sexual relationship to have. It's not about being homophobic.
What a fecking moron.

Sweet Square

So you don't think it is further evidence of intolerance towards homosexuals within the parts of the Muslim community?
I don't what you mean by Muslims community. The from the muslims friends I've know over the years they never seems to have one community let alone a
consensus view on one subject. But even with these school incidents and with the poll you posted.................. ok now what ?

I'm interested in how we can change people views and the best way is through education. The government shouldn't being able to let parents stop their child being educated.

Classical Mechanic

I don't what you mean by Muslims community. The from the muslims friends I've know over the years they never seems to have one community let alone a
consensus view on one subject. But even with these school incidents and with the poll you posted.................. ok now what ?

I'm interested in how we can change people views and the best way is through education. The government shouldn't being able to let parents stop their child being educated.
Sorry, I thought you were highlighting some bigotry rather than complaining about the government enabling it.

I agree with what you say, I don't think there is any excuse for not allowing education on minorities rights in schools.

The Tories have a not insignificant faction among them that hold similar discriminatory religious views about homosexuals so its not a surprise.

Sweet Square

I agree with what you say, I don't think there is any excuse for not allowing education on minorities rights in schools.

The Tories have a not insignificant faction among them that hold similar discriminatory religious views about homosexuals so its not a surprise.
These parent should be fined in the way they would if they child was normally missing school. Of course theres a long discussion to be had because simply fining parents isn't the answer in the long term.

Agree with about the tories. I think a lot of us(Me included)forget the Cameron/liberal wing of the tories really isn't the main core at all. Didn't gay marriage need labour votes to pass ?

Classical Mechanic

These parent should be fined in the way they would if they child was normally missing school. Of course theres a long discussion to be had because simply fining parents isn't the answer in the long term.

Agree with about the tories. I think a lot of us(Me included)forget the Cameron/liberal wing of the tories really isn't the main core at all. Didn't gay marriage need labour votes to pass ?
The Tories voted against it, in isolation as a party 136 - 127.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Just to play devil's advocate, if you are a deeply religious person and the religion does consider homosexual relationships a sin/immoral then it is given that you would not want to normalise that behavior to your children. You can't tackle this issue just with a Govt policy enforcing such lessons in school without tackling the aspect of reform needed within almost all religions.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Just to play devil's advocate, if you are a deeply religious person and the religion does consider homosexual relationships a sin/immoral then it is given that you would not want to normalise that behavior to your children. You can't tackle this issue just with a Govt policy enforcing such lessons in school without tackling the aspect of reform needed within almost all religions.
I think for me, the response to that is not to move to a country where you will know that the general views (and indeed the culture in which your child is likely to grow up in) is so diametrically opposed to your own.

I would never move permanently to Saudi Arabia for instance or raise my children there, regardless of money, because I have no interest in raising my children in that environment.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I think for me, the response to that is not to move to a country where you will know that the general views (and indeed the culture in which your child is likely to grow up in) is so diametrically opposed to your own.

I would never move permanently to Saudi Arabia for instance or raise my children there, regardless of money, because I have no interest in raising my children in that environment.
That's not always the case though. Many of the folks opposing this initiative are probably offspring of people who migrated to Britain at a time when most of the populace was as bigoted (if not more) towards homosexuality. It is normal for all sane societies to become more progressive with time.

Abizzz

Is there some mechanism i'm unaware of by which a cabinet can get rid of a pm? Wasn't the entire point of the no confidence vote recently that another one couldn't be called for a year?

Sweet Square

Is there some mechanism i'm unaware of by which a cabinet can get rid of a pm? Wasn't the entire point of the no confidence vote recently that another one couldn't be called for a year?
Yeah I want to know this as well.

I image they'll just pressure her to step down.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
If they tell her no one will turn up in parliament on Monday if she's still there what else can she realistically do except resign?

Abizzz

If they tell her no one will turn up in parliament on Monday if she's still there what else can she realistically do except resign?
Given past actions, just turn up again on tuesday?