Westminster Politics

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
I never got a polling card, I suppose if I turn up at the Polling Station with my Council Tax bill & passport, they will let me. Can't see any reason why I wouldn't be on the voters roll.

No real idea who to vote for, but it's my democratic right and, more importantly, it will a vote for any party other than UKIP & Brexit Party. That's why it is important to vote.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I never got a polling card, I suppose if I turn up at the Polling Station with my Council Tax bill & passport, they will let me. Can't see any reason why I wouldn't be on the voters roll.

No real idea who to vote for, but it's my democratic right and, more importantly, it will a vote for any party other than UKIP & Brexit Party. That's why it is important to vote.
I'm probably gonna vote Lib Dem.

mitChley

You don't need polling card or any form of ID unless you live in one of the following

"Pendle, East Staffordshire and Woking - voters will be asked to show photo ID before they are given their ballot papers.

Ribble Valley, Broxtowe, Derby, North Kesteven and Braintree– voters will have to present either one form of photo ID or up to two forms of non-photo ID.

Mid Sussex, Watford and North West Leicestershire – voters will need to bring their poll cards as a means of identification."

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

I voted green - least worst option I felt due to to shower of shit available to pick somebody from

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
I voted green - least worst option I felt due to to shower of shit available to pick somebody from
I would have voted green but it turned out there wasn't one standing.

At least there was another bloke voting when I went in and it looked like another one was pulling up as I left.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
It seems both Labour and the Tories are getting a kicking in the local elections. Maybe they will finally realise that there needs to be another referendum on Brexit.

Dan_F

I didn’t even need to show ID to vote. Thought that was a bit weird, maybe she just forgot to ask. Lib Dem councillor and MP in my area now, which pleases me.

That'sHernandez

I didn’t even need to show ID to vote. Thought that was a bit weird, maybe she just forgot to ask. Lib Dem councillor and MP in my area now, which pleases me.
You don’t need to show ID to vote, I never have at least.

Smores

It seems both Labour and the Tories are getting a kicking in the local elections. Maybe they will finally realise that there needs to be another referendum on Brexit.
Looking at the Labour losses that doesn't seem to be the message at all. It's a mixed bag of being punished by leavers and remainers and highlights the ongoing issue of pleasing both.

Overall i think this looks promising for a left coalition if it were to map nationally, I'm glad to see green gains in particular.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
My reading from the results is that if there was a GE, we are headed for another hung parliament.

arnie_ni

You only need name and address in 90% of areas, it's always been that way. The other 10% were trailing needing ID
Here in ni you need photographic id. Ive been sent home for it one year i forgot it even the poll station person knew me

Smores

If that was the case I'd expect much higher votes for the remain parties. It's still a minority and if Labour abandon their leavers entirely they'd probably lose just as many. Any analysis that doesn't consider that is just myopic.

That'sHernandez

If that was the case I'd expect much higher votes for the remain parties. It's still a minority and if Labour abandon their leavers entirely they'd probably lose just as many. Any analysis that doesn't consider that is just myopic.
The EU elections may be more indicative. I think it's fair to say by and large remain voters are more politically engaged than leave voters and therefore you are more likely to see swings to the remain parties than you are the brexit parties, however.

The EU elections are a little bit win-win for the Tories though, unless their stance on them has changed? They aren't campaigning so if there is a swing to the remain parties, they can say they didn't campaign and so the result is expected, whereas if there are more eurosceptics elected to the EU parliament that just strengthens their stance.

EwanI Ted

That assumes that Labour's current strategy will keep those Leave voters, which remains to be seen. The risk of course is that if the Remain vote has begun to lose a little faith in Labour, then the Leave vote may do as well.

Dan_F

That's...literally we've voted in this country for years. Not sure why you're surprised.

Just certain places were trialing ID checks this time round.
Because I’ve always had a polling card, so I assumed if you didn’t have that you would need to show ID. Otherwise I could have been anyone. No need to be a dick about it.

EwanI Ted

Same here.

In theory, I could have said I lived on the road outside the polling station, when they got to the page I could have chosen any number I could see and read off the name.
But your ability to actually influence the outcome of an election is miniscule which is why we've never used ID in the past.

Smores

That assumes that Labour's current strategy will keep those Leave voters, which remains to be seen. The risk of course is that if the Remain vote has begun to lose a little faith in Labour, then the Leave vote may do as well.
Definitely a possibility but it's probably the only approach that would give a Labour majority (slim chance either way) so the risk is worth it. If the Tories become the Leave Party and Labour Remain the Tories will win hands down in my opinion.

From a remainer perspective i think it's beneficial that Labour carries with it the soft brexiteers and if people go to Lib Dem/Change/Greens then at least they're going to left leaning parties.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Why should remain voters have any more faith in Labour than they do in Tory? They are both leave parties.

Dan_F

Same here.

In theory, I could have said I lived on the road outside the polling station, when they got to the page I could have chosen any number I could see and read off the name.
Yeah exactly. I just assumed that without the card I would need ID. Obviously I knew that you didn’t need the polling card to vote.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Definitely a possibility but it's probably the only approach that would give a Labour majority (slim chance either way) so the risk is worth it. If the Tories become the Leave Party and Labour Remain the Tories will win hands down in my opinion.

From a remainer perspective i think it's beneficial that Labour carries with it the soft brexiteers and if people go to Lib Dem/Change/Greens then at least they're going to left leaning parties.
I think they are going to struggle for a majority... I think indy ref 2 will play very heavily in scotland and pro Eu and Indepencence votes going to the SNP - ironically perhaps a boost for conservatives with the leave vote and people against independence - honestly see labour being squeezed out again in scotland

that said a snp - labour coalition is probably one of the more workable coalitions provided Corbyn would agree to make provision for indyref2

getting a majority through english MP's would be a huge stretch for Labour though especially as im not sure that sitting on the fence / wishing for unicorns would hold up particularly well to the scrutiny of a campaign with Farrage and peoples vote polarising the debate

Dan_F

Why are you so angry
I didn’t get a polling card delivered, so what good is it to tell me it says on there you don’t need it. Clearly I knew that already, however, I assumed that I would need ID without the card.

I was just saying it seems like it’s a grey area if you can just walk up and give your address and vote.

Anyway. It’s not a big issue, I’m definitely not angry :houllier:

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I didn’t get a polling card delivered, so what good is it to tell me it says on there you don’t need it. Clearly I knew that already, however, I assumed that I would need ID without the card.

I was just saying it seems like it’s a grey area if you can just walk up and give your address and vote.

Anyway. It’s not a big issue, I’m definitely not angry :houllier:
Surely you've had polling cards delivered in the past?