g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Westminster Politics

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Isn't that the guy who crowned himself as the "British Obama" ? If that's your last and best hope you're truly screwed:lol:
The comparison is definitely harsh - Obama's got a far better chance of ever becoming PM than Chuka.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Christ...
Laura Kuenssberg reveals Boris Johnson has already promised same top job to four MPs.

Beth Rigby
‏Verified account @BethRigby

Ballot closed and I’m told by sources on ‘22 that it was decided to disallowed phones in room because of an aggressive whipping operation from Team Johnson. Told had been instructed to take photo of their ballot paper to prove they’d backed Johnson.

I'm in the Boris camp. Forget his policies which will be little different to anything the others come up with, after years of the likes of Brown, Cameron, Miliband and May more than anything we need someone with some character. In British history the greatest leaders have been the ones with the force of personality to get things done, Churchill, Thatcher, George, Attlee and so on. Boris might act the buffoon but he'll get people talking about politics again instead of the current malaise and negativity whenever the topic comes up. Corbyn would have been a step in the right direction if he wasn't completely unelectable and surrounded by incompetents.

Fully Fledged

I'm in the Boris camp. Forget his policies which will be little different to anything the others come up with, after years of the likes of Brown, Cameron, Miliband and May more than anything we need someone with some character. In British history the greatest leaders have been the ones with the force of personality to get things done, Churchill, Thatcher, George, Attlee and so on. Boris might act the buffoon but he'll get people talking about politics again instead of the current malaise and negativity whenever the topic comes up. Corbyn would have been a step in the right direction if he wasn't completely unelectable and surrounded by incompetents.
Boris is totally un-electable. That's why they are not having a general election but having an in house election instead.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

:lol:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Comparing Johnson to Attlee has given me heart palpitations. Couldn't get much more of an opposite.

Hammerfell

Good satire.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Sky's Lewis Goodall:

Now seems very likely we'll have our *20th* Old Etonian as prime minister.

In our entire parliamentary history, we've been governed by an Old Etonian as PM for 101 years out of 298.

So 34% of the time.

Whatever their individual merits... this country is absurd.
How many PMs didn't go to Public school, of any persuasion?

Thatcher for one who everybody seem to hate, so I don't know what her point is.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
How many PMs didn't go to Public school, of any persuasion?

Thatcher for one who everybody seem to hate, so I don't know what her point is.
A number of fallacies in this argument.

Fallacy of past performance. Circular reasoning?

Comparing Johnson to Attlee has given me heart palpitations. Couldn't get much more of an opposite.
Attlee was put in charge of Labour after the previous leader resigned, his reputation was middling, and his eventual election was in large part down to there being a lack of credible alternatives after the war ended.

Lots of parallels, actually.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Was dead confused as to why you posted this, nothing he said there is really wrong.

Then I checked the news.

Think after Brexit is all over, and Corbyn is eventually gone too, he'll look at all the decisions he made and kick himself.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
And he will still be treated by the media as a credible figure. Utterly spineless, devoid of any principles and motivated by nothing other than his own personal prestige. So far Umunna has stated that we should leave the Single Market, he has rejected the idea of a second referendum, and condemned the Lib Dems unequivocally as a party he could never align himself with.

And yet where is he today? A member of the Lib Dems, having spent the past year or so on an "ultra-Remain" platform championing a second referendum. It also exposes a glaring weakness in our political system that he can be voted in by his electorate as a member of the Labour party, leave to form a new party, and now change his mind again and join the Lib Dems, all without triggering a by-election.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
And he will still be treated by the media as a credible figure. Utterly spineless, devoid of any principles and motivated by nothing other than his own personal prestige. So far Umunna has stated that we should leave the Single Market, he has rejected the idea of a second referendum, and condemned the Lib Dems unequivocally as a party he could never align himself with.

And yet where is he today? A member of the Lib Dems, having spent the past year or so on an "ultra-Remain" platform championing a second referendum. It also exposes a glaring weakness in our political system that he can be voted in by his electorate as a member of the Labour party, leave to form a new party, and now change his mind again and join the Lib Dems, all without triggering a by-election.
Yeah I agree, it's a bit ridiculous.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Quite agree.
And the only reason that they can get away with it is because the main opposition party is close to being un-electable.
If Labour had any sense and ambition to be in power they would do the right thing and kick out Corbyn and replace him with an electable leader.
Is there such an MP though....
Well. That couldn't have been times better :lol:

Stanley Road

Renaissance Man
:lol:

Good post

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The bloke bought 3 used water cannons with 67 known faults and they were scrapped at a massive loss to the taxpayer. He isn't an acting buffoon, he is an extremely dangerous moron.

Cheesy

Bread with dipping sauce
Scout
Attlee was put in charge of Labour after the previous leader resigned, his reputation was middling, and his eventual election was in large part down to there being a lack of credible alternatives after the war ended.

Lots of parallels, actually.
Err...the country was being led by the same guy people now hail as one of the country's greatest heroes, the same guy who eventually beat Attlee again six years later, albeit on the technicality of the electoral system. Granted, Churchill's post-war campaign misjudged the mood of the country terribly, but he certainly wasn't the weakest opposition a government had come up against.

Personality-wise I'd argue Attlee and Boris are/were vastly different. Attlee was never really a showman, instead someone who viewed himself as the head of a collective cabinet with a lot of competing views, a strong managerial figure as opposed to the country's esteemed and absolute leader. Boris, meanwhile, is someone incredibly obsessed with himself, a self-styled larger-than-life personality who desires the attention to be placed on him specifically. The Boris-Churchill comparisons make sense on a surface level; Boris-Attlee doesn't place except for the fact that both men will presumably be looked back on as men who held the office of PM.

Classical Mechanic

Yeah I agree, it's a bit ridiculous.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The bloke bought 3 used water cannons with 67 known faults and they were scrapped at a massive loss to the taxpayer. He isn't an acting buffoon, he is an extremely dangerous moron.
Well let's be fair... He is a moron but the specifics here are that they knew about the faults and they were fixable at a cost of around 100k .... The reason they were not used is that may refused the licence to use them.... So the fact that when he brought them they were not legally permitted to be used was imo the bigger mistake...
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.th...ed-water-cannon-sold-for-scrap-at-300000-loss

He basically presumed he could get the policy changed... Perhaps a foretaste of his idea that he is going to negotiate a new brexit deal

The "massive loss" though in government terms was insignificant at £300k

He's made far bigger feck ups (garden bridge... Olympic stadium legacy...) and most probably will make many more as pm

Err...the country was being led by the same guy people now hail as one of the country's greatest heroes, the same guy who eventually beat Attlee again six years later, albeit on the technicality of the electoral system. Granted, Churchill's post-war campaign misjudged the mood of the country terribly, but he certainly wasn't the weakest opposition a government had come up against.

Personality-wise I'd argue Attlee and Boris are/were vastly different. Attlee was never really a showman, instead someone who viewed himself as the head of a collective cabinet with a lot of competing views, a strong managerial figure as opposed to the country's esteemed and absolute leader. Boris, meanwhile, is someone incredibly obsessed with himself, a self-styled larger-than-life personality who desires the attention to be placed on him specifically. The Boris-Churchill comparisons make sense on a surface level; Boris-Attlee doesn't place except for the fact that both men will presumably be looked back on as men who held the office of PM.
People in 1945 were desperate to draw a line under the war and move on, and Churchill was seen as the figurehead of all that. It was a vote for something other than what had gone before rather than a vote specifically for Labour and Attlee. Like i say, Attlee had a middling reputation and even his years in power were not seen particularly favourably at the time. He won a second term by the skin of his teeth and his government collapsed shortly into it. It was only in later years that his star rose.

For the record, i'm not saying Boris is on their level. He has personality, which counts for an lot after years of bland politicians blending into one, and he's a better option than anything else out there at the moment.

Last edited:

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
If he's such a great leader what has he actually achieved in his briefs in government?

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Guess who doesn't want a debate?
If our entire political class tipped themselves, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow.

NinjaFletch

Guess who doesn't want a debate?
If our entire political class tipped themselves, I wouldn't raise an eyebrow.
Ooh, I think I know the answer to this one.

It's that racist, piece of shit Lynton Crosby who is managing Boris's campaign, isn't it?

Infra-red

If he's such a great leader what has he actually achieved in his briefs in government?
You should hear what the civil servants who worked with him think of him (I happen to know a couple).

Needless to say, he would be a very poor choice of PM.