Westminster Politics

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Last edited:

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Universal credit delays are a factor in sex work, government accepts
Minister apologises for DWP memo dismissing link between long waits and survival sex work

https://www.theguardian.com/society...s-a-factor-in-prostitution-government-accepts
The memo dismissed evidence that universal credit was a cause of increased numbers of women turning to sex work as anecdotal. It said the phenomenon was influenced by a range of factors, from drug addiction and the rise of AirBnB to EU immigration.
The depravity of this government shouldn't still be able to surprise me, but it does.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
If Boris proposes to scrap the Saturday 3pm live football blackout he’ll win by a landslide. Such a low hanging fruit, amazing nobody has grabbed it!

(Just popped in to contribute that. Bye!)

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Johnson outperforms guesstimates. It's probably his, but you have to wonder if those not voting for him currently can be convinced otherwise? They may coalesce around another candidate less brash about hard brexit.

NinjaFletch

Johnson outperforms guesstimates. It's probably his, but you have to wonder if those not voting for him currently can be convinced otherwise? They may coalesce around another candidate less brash about hard brexit.
Doesn't matter. He only needs top 2 to get through to the membership, and they will vote for him.

He's the next PM. It's all but confirmed.

Smores

You'd think the Leadsom and McVey votes will go to Raab or Hunt. Stewart might pick up some of the Harper votes.

Always hard to say as politically the first round votes are just niceties and you'll see more move to the serious contenders quite quickly to gain favour.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Sexist vote. No surprises there. Johnson is a shoo in because they know how much pull he's got with the knuckle dragging section of the public.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Not shocked at McVey being dead last not even double digits. She strikes me as an absolute idiot.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The thought of Boris being PM and Trump being President is too depressing to think about. It's also likely to happen. Stop the world I want to get off.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
its not impossible that johnson drops a bollock but certainly would be a brave person to put their money on any other candidate at this point

Already polling over 50% of the membership and likely to pick up more of the "leave" vote when people drop out
Already over 1/3rd of the MP's backing him which ensures he is in the final 2 (and as soon as MP's believe its inevitable he wins they will all switch allegiance and start looking for government payroll positions)

So yeah its seems hard to see him not winning

Gut feel is that Stewart might do well in the hustings but not well enough to get significant numbers of MPs and quite likley that he, Hancock and Javid are out in the next round

Could see Raab dropping out and backing boris for a cushy role leaving Gove and Hunt to battle for the final spot... though it may be a race to see who can quit first to prevent a mauling at the hands of the membership vote

all hail king boris

I suspect his cabinet will be something along the lines of

Mogg as chancellor
Raab as brexit secretary
and a bunch of other prominent hard brexity types

perhaps with the poisoned chalice of Ireland to somebody he hates to deal with the inevitable border issues... probably gove and hes probably desperate enough for any power to take it

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Fait accompli.

Collusion between Johnson, Trump and Farage.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They've already wasted a chunk of it and done nothing, the leadership contest goes on until the end of July, which leaves 3 months.

We are fecked.
Agreed. Still ringing in my ears are the last words said by Tusk when the EU granted the end October extension - Don't waste it.
Well. As you say the terrible Tories have completely ignored those words and instead of making the most of that opportunity, they are, as usual looking inward and thinking only about themselves and not the country.

Shinjch

He's going to be pushed by the BBC just like Cameron was. He's the most presentable of the pro EU candidates so he will be their darling.
I'm afraid that Boris has been pushed so hard for so long by the media that it won't make any real difference.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Stewart seems to be doing well.
If I was to nominate the least worst then Stewart would get my vote.
But. Yet again, our next PM will not be decided by the country but by the Tories who are by far and away the least popular party in history.

Paul the Wolf

France - can't win anything with Swedish turnips
If I was to nominate the least worst then Stewart would get my vote.
But. Yet again, our next PM will not be decided by the country but by the Tories who are by far and away the least popular party in history.
And the Brexiters will be so happy - their PM will be decided by a few hundred Tories, British democracy at its finest, they've taken back control and can't see the irony.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
And the Brexiters will be so happy - their PM will be decided by a few hundred Tories, British democracy at its finest, they've taken back control and can't see the irony.
Quite agree.
And the only reason that they can get away with it is because the main opposition party is close to being un-electable.
If Labour had any sense and ambition to be in power they would do the right thing and kick out Corbyn and replace him with an electable leader.
Is there such an MP though....

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Quite agree.
And the only reason that they can get away with it is because the main opposition party is close to being un-electable.
If Labour had any sense and ambition to be in power they would do the right thing and kick out Corbyn and replace him with an electable leader.
Is there such an MP though....

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Including Boris, our last two prime ministers would have been decided by a group of people who wouldn't fill my local town hall.
Tgere needs to be a change in constitution, a party in government can't change a leader more than once without a GE. Look at this mess ffs!

SteveJ

Scout
Welcome to the resistance, Roderick James Nugent 'Rory' Stewart OBE FRSL FRSGS MP.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Think Boris being PM is worse than Trump being president.
For the UK at least.

I'm really, really, hoping this will finally make people in Scotland vote for independence.

SteveJ

Scout
Sky's Lewis Goodall:
Now seems very likely we'll have our *20th* Old Etonian as prime minister.

In our entire parliamentary history, we've been governed by an Old Etonian as PM for 101 years out of 298.

So 34% of the time.

Whatever their individual merits... this country is absurd.

Last edited: