Westminster Politics

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
We have a by-election tomorrow in what is the Kingswood constituency, which changes at the next GE. Our MP was Chris Skidmore who resigned due to disagreement with Sunak total climb down on green environmental issues.
I am hopeful that it will go to the Labour candidate as the Tory candidate has fought a typically dirty campaign.
I'm ashamed to say I hadn't realised it was a dual by-election day. I see the other one is because that complete and utter wanker Peter Bone has gone, so who's standing, Mrs complete and utter wanker. The tories really are unbelievable at times, but I guess a 90 year-old selection committee will have picked her.

Also take your id!

Smores

Looking at the replies one of them says Corbyn should join the Greens. I wonder how they would handle that one?

I would vote Labour personally but I wouldn't be unhappy at more Green MPs either. Would evaluate it at manifesto-time.
Don't think the Greens need that baggage, best if Corbyn is an independent who may vote with them anyway.

I'm still hopeful for a Lab-Green coalition. Very unlikely of course but it's the only way I can see Labour coming close to the policies i'd like.

Verified Bird Expert
Scout
Don't think the Greens need that baggage, best if Corbyn is an independent who may vote with them anyway.

I'm still hopeful for a Lab-Green coalition. Very unlikely of course but it's the only way I can see Labour coming close to the policies i'd like.
At least the Greens have created a political party and are fighting their corner, none of this 'it's impossible because everything is against us' you get from the far left. I wish them well, if not a supporter as it stands I am a potential one.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
Isn't that 2% rise in GDP nullified by the 8% (around 5m people) rise in the population since 2010? It's the fact that the government have done nothing to manage this easily predictable change and its effect on public services that leads them to blaming 100,000 immigrants for all our woes.
The 1.5-2% is yearly. From 2010, the nominal gdp has grown almost 25-30%

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Yep that’s going to make the county a nicer place to live. The majority of people get an extra £17 in their monthly pay packet and public services are cut by billions. Who needs working roads, health service, education, police, libraries, etc etc?

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Yep that’s going to make the county a nicer place to live. The majority of people get an extra £17 in their monthly pay packet and public services are cut by billions. Who needs working roads, health service, education, police, libraries, etc etc?
Just a final push to wreck and privatise on the way out. Sadly this country is the perfect place to pilot extreme capitalism as it has been and always will be, full of serfs.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Mental. So they're blaming the recession on people not spending as much, after people changed their spending habits due to the cost of living crisis they allowed to happen, and they spent the entirety of last year telling us we can't be paid more because it will make inflation worse.

The only bright side to all of this is it's proof the Tories can't be trusted with even the economy.

Erebus

I live in Rochdale and the by-election here is a total bloody mess. The two candidates I'd naturally consider to vote for (Greens and Labour) have both withdrawn and I'm completely unsure what to do now. My real fear is a very small turnout with votes split across the number of small local candidates, meaning Galloway gets in. I know the seat will go Labour again at the General Election, but the intermediate time could be awful. I'm already avoiding the town centre to miss politicians.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Double that £17 by cancelling Netflix and you’ll be in a 5 bed mansion in no time.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
:lol:

God I’m getting a panic attack just imagining how GB news would review this film.
Title: "Children of Wokeness: A Dystopian Nightmare of Liberal Hysteria"

In this dystopian delusion, "Children of Men" paints a bleak picture of a world without children, conveniently blaming it on a mysterious infertility crisis. But what's truly infertile is its woke narrative, pushing leftist agendas down our throats like bitter medicine.

The film's protagonist, Theo, played by Clive Owen, is a shell of a man, just like the film itself, lacking any depth or nuance. Instead of embracing traditional values, Theo is a spineless pawn, dancing to the tune of the leftist propaganda machine.

Director Alfonso Cuarón attempts to dazzle with his cinematography, but it's all smoke and mirrors to distract from the film's true purpose: brainwashing the masses into accepting the liberal agenda. From heavy-handed immigration allegories to thinly veiled anti-capitalist rhetoric, "Children of Men" is a leftist fever dream.

And let's not forget the film's portrayal of women, reducing them to mere vessels for political messaging rather than fully realized characters. It's as if the filmmakers believe women are incapable of agency without the guiding hand of progressivism.

Ultimately, "Children of Men" is nothing more than a cautionary tale of what happens when the woke mob takes control. It's time to wake up and reject this leftist nonsense masquerading as entertainment.

Kaos

Mental. So they're blaming the recession on people not spending as much, after people changed their spending habits due to the cost of living crisis they allowed to happen, and they spent the entirety of last year telling us we can't be paid more because it will make inflation worse.

The only bright side to all of this is it's proof the Tories can't be trusted with even the economy.
That last bit is key.

If there's any positives we can take from these torturous, calamitous 14 years is that it's finally put to bed this notion of the Tories being the party of the economy and responsible spending. That was the only crutch they had going for them every election. Add to that their failed pledges on crime and immigration.

With a generation of voters who've now been shafted by them, I hope it keeps them out of power indefinitely or at the very least for a generation.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
With a generation of voters who've now been shafted by them, I hope it keeps them out of power indefinitely or at the very least for a generation.
Look at what happened to the Lib Dem’s off of one failed coalition. The tories have done far more to disillusion and disenfranchise a much wider section of the voter base. There are a lot of people now (and I include myself in this) who can confidently say they will never vote Tory after this.

I don’t see how their party recovers from here other than increasingly leverage right wing media propaganda, and hoping for a war (and being able to successfully pitch themselves as the strong tough leaders needed in wartime)

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Tories lose Kingswood to Labour in a 16% swing. Turnout 37%. Reform took over 10% of the vote, Lib Dems lost their deposit:

Gossip also suggests Labour have beaten the Tories in Wellingborough

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Tories took an absolute pasting in Wellingborough, losing nearly 40% of their vote. Labour wins handsomely. Lib Dems and Greens lost their deposit, Reform did fairly well again. Turnout was 38%:

Edit: Sir John Curtice reckons it's the "biggest ever drop in Tory support in a post-war by-election...second biggest post-war swing Tory>Labour (28.5%)"

Last edited:

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Congratulations to all parties for inspiring 63% of voters to stay at home.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
It’s today mate! I’m off to vote in a little while, make sure you don’t forget!
Thank you and yes we have both voted for the successful labour candidate who has won Kingswood from the Tories.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Honestly. Seeing that pr1ck JRM trying to justify why these latest 2 Tory by-election defeats were 'not as bad as they could have been'.
The country is in a mess.
It is in a recession.
Nothing works properly.
Trying to get a GP appointment is getting more and more difficult.
The Tories have now lost 9 by-elections in a row.
And JRM thinks it could have been worse...

TheGame

Honestly. Seeing that pr1ck JRM trying to justify why these latest 2 Tory by-election defeats were 'not as bad as they could have been'.
The country is in a mess.
It is in a recession.
Nothing works properly.
Trying to get a GP appointment is getting more and more difficult.
The Tories have now lost 9 by-elections in a row.
And JRM thinks it could have been worse...
Nothing will please me more than that Cnut losing his seat in a general election.