Westminster Politics

Eplel

Her answer to everything is cut benefits and force the disabled back to into work.
If she's as small minded as you are surely that's the case. Of course, in the UK we could work towards improving working conditions and working and career opportunities for the disabled both in and out of the workplace, but hey politicians are a microcopy of the population, so she's probably talking about what you're talking about.

Maticmaker

10% lobbyist is a fairly low number I would have thought.
Indeed, I thought all MP's were supposed to be lobbyists, ....on behalf of their constituents.
I suppose if some constituents in any particular area are very wealthy and want to support their local MP, they might offer donations, especially if the donation is offered by the wealthy Chair of a registered not for profit Charity, based in the said constituency.

Well, it has a veneer of truth!! ;)

Eric_the_Red99

That was the Lib Dem influence, and it was/is where the UK is at socially so amending the legislation to reflect that is an easy thing to do.
Cameron was personally in favour of it, despite many Tories still being opposed. That’s the point I’m making - Starmer/Reeves, on the current evidence, would never be so bold, as they won’t appear to stand for anything other than getting into power.

Sweet Square

Cutting first and then maybe some funding if the cutting works(Which it never does).

Speaking to BBC Radio 4's Today programme, Ms Reeves signalled Labour now plans to fund their plans through savings to future government spending, rather than an alternative tax rise.
"We will go through every pound spent, every tax raised, and make that sure we can continue to fund those commitments," she said.
"We will identify the savings we can make to fund this," she said, underlining the party's election manifesto would be "fully costed and fully funded". But she did not offer further details, adding the party would first need to go through the government's plans in an "orderly way" before it would be in a position to do so.

Last edited:

Herman Toothrot

This current version of Labour are the greatest thing to happen to anyone with Tory values who can look beyond the colour of the rosette.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
This current version of Labour are the greatest thing to happen to anyone with Tory values who can look beyond the colour of the rosette.
Shy Tories. They can now openly vote for Tory policies and try to claim the moral high ground as well.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
I'm glad National Insurance will be scrapped. It probably does nothing anyway and can be paid for by getting scroungers back to work.
Hope you aren't expecting a pension from the government when you retire then

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
We haven't had to live through the war, miners strikes or the cold war, innit? Not done anything to deserve one.

As a millennial, I'm not expecting to receive a state pension. And if I do, I'm not expecting to be able to receive it at a meaningful age where it would make a difference. Probably die before I'm eligible to claim one.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
We haven't had to live through the war, miners strikes or the cold war, innit? Not done anything to deserve one.

As a millennial, I'm not expecting to receive a state pension. And if I do, I'm not expecting to be able to receive it at a meaningful age where it would make a difference. Probably die before I'm eligible to claim one.
You missed out Thatcher, but I would argue that anyone who had to live thru Boris/Truss/Rishi deserves one!

finneh

The country is going to be too broke by then. I am a millennial.
It'll certainly be means tested with the majority not able to access it, which makes sense given there will be a huge transfer of wealth from baby boomers to millennials over the next 25 years. It'll effectively become an extension of universal credit.

Add in auto-enrolment which has vastly increased the rate of people saving for retirement over the last decade (which in truth should've probably nudged upwards with each NI cut; for example each 2% cut in NI having a 0.75% uptick in auto-enrolment contributions).

My guess is it'll have to be changed via some form of royal commission as no party will want to take ownership of the policy despite knowing it's inevitability.

Bert_

Because despite general ignorance, "I've paid in all my life" national insurance and income tax isn't going into a savings account and has already been spent. State pension is being paid out of tax receipts. If their isn't enough tax coming in to cover pensions then no more pensions. Considering the ratio between people of working age and pensioners is going the wrong way, the the concept of state provided pensions is unsustainable without a radical change to our tax system i.e. wealth taxes etc.

A large percentage of people under 40 will never be able to retire. No final salry pensions, low % of annual salary paid into a private pension, tiny state pension (if it still exists) and no speculative property wealth to cash in on. Good times ahead!

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Because despite general ignorance, "I've paid in all my life" national insurance and income tax isn't going into a savings account and has already been spent. State pension is being paid out of tax receipts. If their isn't enough tax coming in to cover pensions then no more pensions. Considering the ratio between people of working age and pensioners is going the wrong way, the the concept of state provided pensions is unsustainable without a radical change to our tax system i.e. wealth taxes etc.

A large percentage of people under 40 will never be able to retire. No final salry pensions, low % of annual salary paid into a private pension, tiny state pension (if it still exists) and no speculative property wealth to cash in on. Good times ahead!
No argument there, the system was set up when people retired at 65 and died within 5-10 years, now a large % of people can realistically live 20-25 years - that's why the pension age keeps rising.

Something along the lines of they goverment gives every new born kid 10K in a retirement account that cannot be touched until retirement age is the way firward, individuals would be allowed to add more money over time if they choose but that's it, no pension

Fingeredmouse

No argument there, the system was set up when people retired at 65 and died within 5-10 years, now a large % of people can realistically live 20-25 years - that's why the pension age keeps rising.

Something along the lines of they goverment gives every new born kid 10K in a retirement account that cannot be touched until retirement age is the way firward, individuals would be allowed to add more money over time if they choose but that's it, no pension
Ok. So what would you then do with the vast swathes of impoverished geriatrics who didn't top that up for whatever reason?

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Ok. So what would you then do with the vast swathes of impoverished geriatrics who didn't top that up for whatever reason?
Starting with 10K from birth in a retirement fund invested in the usual ways for 60 years would be worth the best part of 2 million without any top ups

Bert_

Starting with 10K from birth in a retirement fund invested in the usual ways for 60 years would be worth the best part of 2 million without any top ups
If you assume the same historical growth rates apply then you also have to consider inflation rate over the same period. That £2 million in 60 years will be equivalent to £60k now. You would imagine life expectancy to have increased too in 60 years so that would have to strech even further.

4bars

Supports
Barcelona

Thats a fallacy that had been telling us and keep repeating to us and now it became truth.

I agree that the current system is unsustainable but start with that 400 people in us owns 60% than the bottom half

Tax appropiately, cut the corruption and see how it works. But i guess is easier to blame us yo live too long

RedChip

It might be a good thing for most people not to retire at all.

They need to tax more if they want to spend. They will be burned politically if they did.
Tax burden is already the highest its been since WW2. Hiking taxes is not a realistic option at this point.

Sweet Square

An interesting idea that they'll achieve growth through austerity. I really think it can work this time.
It’s seem the labour leadership genuinely think the reason austerity doesn’t work is because the tories are incompetent. Which is crazy.