Westminster Politics

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Tories would probably win the election if they brought Boris back and he said "wiff waff balderdash nan's gash"
Not sure about that.
Yes of course he has a certain appeal to a section of people.
And yes he would probably do much better than Sunak.
But it is my view that he and his supporters are quite happy to wait until after the forthcoming GE and then come back.

Herman Toothrot

No, he already got in hot water over the Gaza thing, so he wisely chose discretion as the better part of valor. Or two wrongs don't make a right.... or do they?

*Whatever kool-aid is I would suggest it seems you are the one consuming, perhaps so that you can convince yourself that only your version of the truth is allowed... have a nice day,.....but stay off the K-A stuff ;)
It's like debating a, very polite, Labour HQ chat bot!

Maticmaker

It's like debating a, very polite, Labour HQ chat bot!
Thanks for the 'very polite' reference, but alas no longer a Labour (never HQ) chat boy. :rolleyes: That was many years ago in the days when Jeremy had dark hair.... but I might return to the fold if Starmer doesn't make a ba**s up of the GE.
If Labour can't win this with a massive majority, we can all go home, or vote for the Monster Raving Looney Party.

Kaos

I'd be ok with that if it was their sole income and most of them weren't raking it in via other streams like sitting on boards, doing TV appearances, consulting fees etc. But as it stands this is ludicrously tone-deaf and to put it eloquently - 'an absolute pisstake' at a time when there's a CoL crisis.

TheGame

I'd be ok with that if it was their sole income and most of them weren't raking it in via other streams like sitting on boards, doing TV appearances, consulting fees etc. But as it stands this is ludicrously tone-deaf and to put it eloquently - 'an absolute pisstake' at a time when there's a CoL crisis.
They should not be allowed to hold another job unless its in the public sector e.g NHS.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff

Andy Slaughter's great and the one reason I could overlook Corbyn and soon Starmer cos he's also a decent constituency MP too- fought off Tories trying to flog the A&E dept of the local hospital to their developer mates.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Gove at least listens to a question but never deviates from the set answers.

With Sunak, he doesn't even listen to the questions and then says the same old thing. The plan is working. Stick to the plan....
What fing plan?
And how is it actually working?

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Gove at least listens to a question but never deviates from the set answers.

With Sunak, he doesn't even listen to the questions and then says the same old thing. The plan is working. Stick to the plan....
What fing plan?
And how is it actually working?
The bar is low.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
You have to wonder, why bother with a democratic process if the general public just don't give a shit about this kind of thing.
I was talking to a geezer the other month (ironically when I was working over in Manchester) who’d done a lot of travelling. He’d lived in various African & Middle East places…..he was an interesting fella.

We talked a lot about what it’s like living in undemocratic countries and he was of the opinion that it’s not really much different. You’ve got the people at the top, they’ve got all the power, they’ll abuse it….but everyone knows it and knows their place. Over here the same thing happens but we all reckon we’ve got the liberty and the systems to make it different when really it’s mostly the same

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don’t mind him simply because the people I don’t like, don’t like him but he’s a self absorbed twat. I’ll give him that.

RedChip

Over here the same thing happens but we all reckon we’ve got the liberty and the systems to make it different when really it’s mostly the same
Maybe true about elites (and maybe your guy is/was an elite everywhere he travelled), but there is a world of difference for the common citizen. For example, there are many countries where access to a forum like this is barred, never mind the freedom to say half the stuff we say here. Similarly, in many other countries where elections are meaningless shams, i.e. if you are lucky to have a vote at all.

Having lived in a so-called one-party democracy, I really cannot see how such a comparison is apt. Sure, there is inequality everywhere, but there are levels of difference and pervasiveness we have yet to encounter in Western countries.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
I don’t mind him simply because the people I don’t like, don’t like him but he’s a self absorbed twat. I’ll give him that.
I thought Andy Burnham was pretty popular and has been doing a good job. Not that this matters.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Maybe true about elites (and maybe your guy is/was an elite everywhere he travelled), but there is a world of difference for the common citizen. For example, there are many countries where access to a forum like this is barred, never mind the freedom to say half the stuff we say here. Similarly, in many other countries where elections are meaningless shams, i.e. if you are lucky to have a vote at all.

Having lived in a so-called one-party democracy, I really cannot see how such a comparison is apt. Sure, there is inequality everywhere, but there are levels of difference and pervasiveness we have yet to encounter in Western countries.
Fair enough. I can’t speak from experience having been a U.K. resident for life but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Which country were you referring to by the way?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Fair enough. I can’t speak from experience having been a U.K. resident for life but I thought it was an interesting perspective.

Which country were you referring to by the way?
I've spent enough time in China to know I agree with that other guy. There's a lot to admire about them but wild horses couldn't make me move there permanently.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I thought Andy Burnham was pretty popular and has been doing a good job. Not that this matters.
"Andy Burnham has a secret that he doesn't want you to know. Toffees. Not the toffees that you and I enjoy with our cup of local Manchester pressed pineapple and Bovril juice, but the Liverpool toffees. Because Andy Burnham supports Everton. Do you really want some Scouse lover telling you what you can and can't do with your Manc bins? Vote for local lad George Galloway!"

Maticmaker

GG is just getting his retaliation in first, starting with threats to stand against Angela Rayner, and now Andy Burnham.
A sizeable Moslem population in Rayner's Ashton-U-Lyne constituency and across Grt. Manchester, no doubt GG is hoping they will vote with their hearts ( Gaza) as in Rochdale, rather than with their heads (getting rid of Tories)... expect more of the same, from GG, especially if nothing changes in Gaza .

You can always rely on George to have an eye on the main chance!

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
I've spent enough time in China to know I agree with that other guy. There's a lot to admire about them but wild horses couldn't make me move there permanently.
Zambia in the 80's.
Fair enough. Then it’s good to hear, in a thread which is 99% bemoaning the way our societies are governed, that it’s actually better than some of the alternatives

4bars

Supports
Barcelona
I was talking to a geezer the other month (ironically when I was working over in Manchester) who’d done a lot of travelling. He’d lived in various African & Middle East places…..he was an interesting fella.

We talked a lot about what it’s like living in undemocratic countries and he was of the opinion that it’s not really much different. You’ve got the people at the top, they’ve got all the power, they’ll abuse it….but everyone knows it and knows their place. Over here the same thing happens but we all reckon we’ve got the liberty and the systems to make it different when really it’s mostly the same
I don't need to be in undemocratic country to know that. bipartidism exist in all the big countries and they make us believe that sense of choice when it doesn't exist. Lobbies are the ones ruling countries and who puts people in "power" in both parties

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
"Andy Burnham has a secret that he doesn't want you to know. Toffees. Not the toffees that you and I enjoy with our cup of local Manchester pressed pineapple and Bovril juice, but the Liverpool toffees. Because Andy Burnham supports Everton. Do you really want some Scouse lover telling you what you can and can't do with your Manc bins? Vote for local lad George Galloway!"
George Galloway is Local.....
Local to Scotland and certainly not Manchester.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
GG is just getting his retaliation in first, starting with threats to stand against Angela Rayner, and now Andy Burnham.
A sizeable Moslem population in Rayner's Ashton-U-Lyne constituency and across Grt. Manchester, no doubt GG is hoping they will vote with their hearts ( Gaza) as in Rochdale, rather than with their heads (getting rid of Tories)... expect more of the same, from GG, especially if nothing changes in Gaza .

Exactly. Galloway is just a chancer with about as much credibility as Boris. And just as dangerous.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Exactly. Galloway is just a chancer with about as much credibility as Boris. And just as dangerous.
Galloway is the most dangerous MP in the Commons. Mainly because he’s capable of taking the mood of the people correctly and exploiting it. The Tories (as they currently are) are inept. He’s not, so Galloway needs to get gone.

If I saw the fella fall down a flight of stairs that saw him bleeding out, I’d do no more than get his phone out of his pocket and hand it to him, then walk off. He’s an apex charlatan who contributes nothing to another if it doesn’t benefit himself.

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay

This is outdated, surely?

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
Galloway is the most dangerous MP in the Commons. Mainly because he’s capable of taking the mood of the people correctly and exploiting it. The Tories (as they currently are) are inept. He’s not, so Galloway needs to get gone.

If I saw the fella fall down a flight of stairs that saw him bleeding out, I’d do no more than get his phone out of his pocket and hand it to him, then walk off. He’s an apex charlatan who contributes nothing to another if it doesn’t benefit himself.
Most dangerous MP? He has absolutely no power, unlike the party who've been impoverishing the country and persecuting minorities, the poor and disabled for the last 14 years. He's on his own. I don't like him one bit but he's one step above an irrelevance.

Eric_the_Red99

Frosty

Logical and sensible but turns women gay
Don't usually agree with this sort of behaviour, but this is fantastic

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">This is so funny <a href="https://t.co/kSc3kBZAeF">https://t.co/kSc3kBZAeF</a> <a href="https://t.co/t4ERMIQXgE">pic.twitter.com/t4ERMIQXgE</a></p>&mdash; Benjamin Sharp (@bensharp555) <a href="">March 15, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
Totally within the rules for debating Private Members Bills. Truss could of course have changed the rules, but I suppose she wasn't in power long enough...

Bert_

He's very popular round here. To the point people will vote for him regardless of the rosette he's wearing.

Lovely bloke too. You'll see him out and about quite often around the city chatting to people or enjoying a pint. Occasionally doing a dj set :cool:

Kaos

I mean isn't that what all politicians do? There are perhaps a handful of benevolent MPs who are genuinely looking to do some good, whereas the rest are only interested in enriching themselves or their mates, most of whom capitalise on divisive politics.

I'm not a fan of his, but the moral point is a bit of an odd one, especially when you compare him to politicians who've taken the country to wars that have killed countless innocents, or those giving a genocide the greenlight. From a moral perspective he's no worse than a Starmer, and certainly not a murderous cnut like Blair.

Fingeredmouse

So, an independent MP, with no party structure and no way to enact any policy and with no possibility of even influencing policy is "the most dangerous MP in the commons"? This is, objectively, wrong.
He's "apex" nothing.

Also, what do you mean by "taking the mood of the people and exploiting it"? He's pretty politically consistent, the moustachioed, hat wearing pompous twat that he is.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
So, an independent MP, with no party structure and no way to enact any policy and with no possibility of even influencing policy is "the most dangerous MP in the commons"? This is, objectively, wrong.
He's "apex" nothing.

Also, what do you mean by "taking the mood of the people and exploiting it"? He's pretty politically consistent, the moustachioed, hat wearing pompous twat that he is.
More dog whistling. In basic English it means dodgy "immigrants" like me, who've been here for nearly 50 years, are a bit thick because of our brainwashing "exotic religion" so can be easily swayed.

As you know I'm not an intelligent poster like many on here, but I call out the spade for what it is so casual readers on this thread are in zero doubt. Thanks for the chance.