Westminster Politics

decorativeed

Is this the political/rich people version of 'he has black friends so he can't be racist!'

Does business in Jamaica and Bangladesh FFS :lol:
Very uncharitable of you. He expolits people of all colours and creeds without discrimination, don't you know.

decorativeed

... She'd probably be good at her job if she was 'just' an MP campaigning for local issues but shes not, shes high up in shadow government campaigning on national issues. And there shes terrible. One of the worst there has been in living memory and a big part of the reason the last Labour shadow government failed so spectacularly.
She had the whip removed last year. So you're completely wrong there again, aren't you?

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
UK to ban foreign state ownership of newspapers

Foreign governments will be banned from owning UK newspapers and news magazines, the government has said.

The move follows concern about the potential takeover of the Daily Telegraph and Spectator by a group backed by the United Arab Emirates.

Thank god for that, we don't want any damned Arabs, I mean foreigners, owning any newspapers here.

Fingeredmouse

Full on culture war nonsense. This election is going to be filthy. Its going to drag us even more into the gutter.
Absolutely. It's been their clear attack line for some time now. It's their strategy.

Sunak at PMQs always has prepared lines that are full on culture war bullshit.

Superden

There is a daily parade of backbench politicians fecking up but its a different one each time and they do a bit of damage limitation before shuffling away never to be seen again. She (was) frontbench, screws up on a regular basis, and reacts quite nastily when called out on it. Racism is an easy excuse here. Shes disliked because shes a horrible politician. Same as George Galloway, Nigel Farage or any of the other stains on politics.
Shes disliked by lots of right wingers because she's a successful black woman. Everything else is just bs.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
She's a bit thick and extremely combative. A hit in any walk of life and especially politics.
Shes not thick. Shes old. She’s also bloody nice and was a firebrand in her youth. She’s an incredible campaigner, has resisted Hackney turning into another white-flight gentrified paradise and creates one of the most positive constituencies in the Uk.

Now… she’s said a lot of dumb shit in the past half decade or so. But she afforded herself the chance to. I’m not the biggest fan of her now, she’s aged out, without doubt… but she’s among our finest local MP’s and campaigners across the last 30 years. She deserves respect.

UnrelatedPsuedo

Same as George Galloway, Nigel Farage or any of the other stains on politics.
There’s a line, and this didn’t so much cross it, as shit on it.

Mentioning her alongside those two. Jesus Christ. Back it up a little mate. You’re not daft. But that comparison is as dumb as anything on this site. She deserves better.

Shes disliked by lots of right wingers because she's a successful black woman. Everything else is just bs.
Precisely the type of argument that led to her party's worst election performance in 80 years.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Precisely the type of argument that led to her party's worst election performance in 80 years.
Yeah you're right.

The British public, specifically right wingers hate being confronted with home truths.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
The trouble is, when Abbott has an off day or skews something up in an interview (like anyone really), it becomes front and centre in the headlines, and she's disproportionately labelled a laughing stock and becomes a proverbial punching bag for the right to ridicule. The same level of ridicule and scrutiny isn't aimed at her white or male peers, and certainly not those in the conservative party.

On the balance of things she's had a pretty distinguished career, and a bit of a trailblazer herself considering she was the first black female MP and has been one for almost 40 years, a popular one at that.

She's by no means a perfect representation of a parliamentarian, bit she's hardly the clown act she's depicted to be, certainly no more so than much of her peers. I do feel that its racism that's made her such an 'acceptable' target for ridicule and abuse.
The right wing of politics, and the Murdoch press in particular, prefer it that if we have to have these annoying ethnic types involved at all that they at least rich Uncle Tom types like Sunak.

The difference between the way bumbling bullshit artists like Bojo and Abbott are treated is huge.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
The focus gets put on her when she does it because she's a black woman with left-wing views, any mistake she says/does gets highlighted tenfold, whereas a Boris, Farage etc can do (and have done) worse with less pushback and even have positive public opinion.
Correct. Always hated the way she was treated, fundamentally racist at its core.

Abizzz

Have you watched her interviews where she umms and ahhs for a while then freezes and goes blank? It's like watching a computer crash.
Literally every tory politician of rank since 2016.

Uhm ahh i make busses uhm ah out of cardboard as a, uhm ah, a hobby.

Ye fecking sure that's the reason she's treated like that...

Drainy

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
First my government (all parties) came for the black people. And I said nothing.

Then my government (all parties) came for the Palestinians, bombed and starved them. And I said nothing.

Now they're coming for me. :(

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
First my government (all parties) came for the black people. And I said nothing.

Then my government (all parties) came for the Palestinians, bombed and starved them. And I said nothing.

Now they're coming for me. :(
A whining Liverpool fan? I'd be happy if they took you

Maticmaker

Did you not think today was an exceptional circumstance given she was both subject and victim?
No, whilst I agreed the comments made against Diane Abbot were horrible, but remember Hoyle got lambasted when he allowed the Labour motion on Gaza the other week, with everyone claiming he was 'out of order'.
Ms Abbot is under suspension in her own party so Hoyle acted properly in not calling a MP who was not listed...it really is that simple.

Herman Toothrot

No, whilst I agreed the comments made against Diane Abbot were horrible, but remember Hoyle got lambasted when he allowed the Labour motion on Gaza the other week, with everyone claiming he was 'out of order'.
Ms Abbot is under suspension in her own party so Hoyle acted properly in not calling a MP who was not listed...it really is that simple.
I understand. You'll vehemently stand behind the speaker breaking convention when it suits your cause, but that is the only circumstance.

Incidentally, it wouldn't really have been breaking convention to allow "Ms Abbot" to speak.

It feels less like you've been drinking the Kool-Aid than you have been injecting it directly into your eyeballs.

UnrelatedPsuedo

If our parliamentary process sees a 70+ year old member of the house that's been subjected to racist and mysoginist abuse, not being given time to address it, while at least ten male members have… it’s his job to change that. He’s wet. Akin to the final quarter of a pint on a hot summers day.

These conventions are guardrails, not laws. He should have found a way for her to speak. He didn’t. He’s not fit for purpose and hasn’t been for most of his tenure. Pop into Hansard and see how many times he’s told members that they need to pipe down or ‘be sent for a cup of tea’. Then check how many members he’s ejected. The fella is a fossil who tries to keep the peace through suggestion, not action.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Tories would probably win the election if they brought Boris back and he said "wiff waff balderdash nan's gash"

Maticmaker

I understand. You'll vehemently stand behind the speaker breaking convention when it suits your cause, but that is the only circumstance.

Incidentally, it wouldn't really have been breaking convention to allow "Ms Abbot" to speak.

It feels less like you've been drinking the Kool-Aid than you have been injecting it directly into your eyeballs*.
No, he already got in hot water over the Gaza thing, so he wisely chose discretion as the better part of valor. Or two wrongs don't make a right.... or do they?

*Whatever kool-aid is I would suggest it seems you are the one consuming, perhaps so that you can convince yourself that only your version of the truth is allowed... have a nice day,.....but stay off the K-A stuff ;)