g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

When did you realise Moyes was not the man for United?

Broad Street Bullies

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
And an equally important question is: why would anyone want to watch a DVD of that particular season unless it was a straight choice between that and water boarding!

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Is this a trick question?

The first time the media started pushing the agenda about 5 years before it actually happened.

It was just all of a sudden everybody in the tabloid press was saying insane things like “ Moyes has what it takes to be the next United manager” “rumour has it Moyes is being groomed to be the next United manager”.

He displayed absolutely nothing that suggested he was capable of managing a big club during his time at Everton, his fans were sick of the sight of the sight of him and his lack of ambition and dithering and yet somehow he wangled his way into one of the top three jobs in world football and shit the bed like a trooper.

Tarrou

I look back on this a bit like Leicester winning the PL, did it really happen?

SER19

I gave the benefit of the doubt after west brom defeats and januzaj injected some belief, but when I was at old Trafford to see us versus Newcastle I realised the extent of the problems, despite my denial.

We were truly shambolic. You recognise things at a game that you don't on tv and I don't think it's an exaggeration to say we didn't look like a professional team, just an amateur side punching above their weight without ever looking like doing anything. It was genuinely the most poorly organised side I have seen in person.

(Without any leeway to moyes, I feel the squad disgraced themselves those months and behaved like divas, as many did under van gaal too)

gr3yham3

"We will make things as difficult as we can for them" - pre-match comments before the Newcastle game at Old Trafford. Goodness me.

Bob Contact

Driving to Festivus with all the windows down
I was working as a customer service punchbag for a phone company when he was announced and I remember chatting to an Everton fan who said there was no way he would cut it at UTD. Pretty damning when you think about it considering the purported great job he did there.

When the rumours about Fergie going and him coming in started I was at a family of City fans house and they were all just laughing their heads off, I was convinced it would be Jose. Always knew looking back but had blind faith as Sir Alex chose him and he didn't get much wrong.

Pretty funny season in hindsight in a gallows humour kind of way. Was born in 87 so only really knew success before the Moyesiah.

Last edited:

maniwin

Since day 1. Guy won feck all in his career i don't know why SAF pick him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It was absolute insanity.
The club were giving it loads about what pedigree the manager would need. There was smug talk of how we'd ensure the hand over was good unlike post Busby.
Then it was pure worst case. Champions down to 7th. With even Everton finishing above us!

I genuinely don't believe anyone could have done worse.

Each game had you looking at the team sheet versus results in absolute disbelief and i vividly remember quickly wanting the next game to come around as it seemed impossible to stay as bad.

The soundbites got worse, from blaming the early season fixtures, to trying to "make it hard" for Newcastle at home, to losing to every one at home.

The final indignity getting smashed at Everton.

The change from " chosen one" to rebranding it as " nah we tried for about6 people first, is amazing.

Robbie Boy

Never rated him, never wanted him so you could say it was from the moment he was appointed.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Day 1.
There was absolutely nothing to suggest that he was the right man for us.
I seem to remember a friend of mine writing a status on Facebook jokingly urging people to check on me and my health when he was announced. We had been talking the week before and I was adamant that the club was not stupid enough to actually hire him.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
From Moyes’ very first Carrington pictures and press conference it was clear United was too big for him.

SadlerMUFC

Thinks for himself
My initial thought on whomever came in after SAF was that they would be the "sacrificial lamb" of sorts. Let's face it...it didn't matter who came in. They would always be compared to SAF and unless they came in and won a treble they wouldn't survive. At the first sign of struggle they were always going to be let go. So in a way, Moyes was the perfect choice, as bad as that seems. But the day that stuck out the most for me as to when I knew for sure that he wasn't the man for the job, was when he said "We aspire to be like City". WTF was he thinking???

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Another thing, it was the way Moyesie slowly changed his stance from "these are champions", to "i need 4-5 world class players to win the champions league", to comments about how him and his team "knew" upgrades were needee when they took over and then the best one, how "even Fergie" would have struggled

saivet

When he was appointed I didn't think he was the right man, but during the summer I convinced myself it could work.

December was a rough month, but it wasn't until the Fulham home game that did it for me.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
When Spurs played shite and still dicked us 2-0 on I think it was New Year's Day. fecking Adebayor even scored.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Years before when he was first rumored. Then every time it was mentioned I laughed at the suggestion thinking we wouldn't be that dumb. Then when he got hired I said hed back sacked within the year. So always had the same stance on him.

Van Gaal was earlyish in the 2nd season. Mourinho was after the Sevilla result.

Gopher Brown

It was the Fulham game on 9th Feb 2014.

The night of the long crosses.

I could kinda accept the losses to Everton and Newcastle, but that Fulham game destroyed me. It was clear the players had no idea what the manager wanted, and the manager did nothing to change the way we were playing.

wolvored

When he came in and threw the whole backroom staff away. If he hadnt have done that I'm convinced we would have finished top 4 that season, even with the disasterous transfer window where we paid £4 million more for Fellaini than we needed to and couldnt get anyone else in.

Revaulx

When Spurs played shite and still dicked us 2-0 on I think it was New Year's Day. fecking Adebayor even scored.
It was 2-1: Welbeck was still on a good run of form and got one back just after their second.

It came after a run of six straight wins, which had given me a tiny shot of hope. Spurs was the absolute point of no return though.

Oscie

The game where we had 82 crosses, or something. Fulham? It's hard to remember just expunged much of that season from my memory.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
And an equally important question is: why would anyone want to watch a DVD of that particular season unless it was a straight choice between that and water boarding!
Well, some also like watching movie of people chainsawing live bodies.

fellaini's barber

His comments where what drove me off the edge with him, I was willing to do a top red and give him time and all that but his comments made me feel like killing him. The one I really remember which almost made me shed tears of fury was when he said something about Fergie not finishing 4th with that squad,same squad Fergie won the squad with months ago! Then I came on the caf and people were defending him,some of our club 'legends' too. Couldn't wait to get rid after that

Revaulx

Much as I never wanted him, I didn’t think he’d be that bad. He always looked more of a Glazer-inspired appointment than a Fergie one, the thinking being that if his level of spending at Everton pretty much guaranteed them fifth or sixth, a small increase would guarantee top four, which would have been good enough. It was a sort of relief to see him crash and burn.

MoskvaRed

Several years before he got the United job to be honest. I kept an eye on him after his good work at Preston and the admirable job he did in the first half of his Everton stint (and he was Scottish -I was also partly prey to that romantic idea) but it was apparent long before 2013 that he wasn’t really United material.

Mercurial

The moment we hired him. I genuinely believed it was a pisstake, something out of Onion news or the likes when the rumours started flying.

Should be used in business teachings as how to not do a management change.
Pretty much this, well put! It felt wrong. Dark times.

Marcky411

Before he even started, the first time I heard he was becoming our manager I thought it was some kind of April fools joke. The man had won nothing and still hasn't, can't really say his career has taken off since leaving Everton.

crossy1686

career ending
Before he was even appointed.

He was never the right fit, it felt like the appointment was based on romance and superstition rather than actual merit. It was actually baffling that we even considered him based on his CV.

Despite all that, I felt obliged to get behind him as he quickly dispatched a title winning team into obscure shitness. First it was signing Fellani after dithering all summer, then it was his comments about other teams and where we aspired to be, then you've got all the records that were broken that season, and I don't mean the good kind, I mean stuff like 'Newcastle's first win at OT since football began' records.

The one that stands out as the performance where I wanted him gone the same day was Fulham. To produce that shit and then come out and tell everyone we needed a football brain to understand what we were trying to do today was the final straw.

waza7111

I didn't think he was the right man for United when he was at Everton. He's just another average British manager.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Watching the season review 13/14 at the minute. Great opener against Swansea. Welbeck and RVP in fine form.

Got hammered by City, lost to WBA (I was in Thailand for both of them). He then went on a decent run of 11 games without defeat.

So when was the point when you said "nah this guy ain't for United"

Was it from day one?

Was it the City defeat, or the losses at home in December of 2013 to Everton and Newcastle?

Sunderland in the cup?

For me it was Olympiakos away. That was shocking and when I knew....yeah this ain't going to work is it.
At the day he's appointed.

R o o K

Never wanted him in the first place. My first choice will always be the special one. Imagine if they hired him 5 years ago, we would probably be in a different place now.

ice-bionic red

After Everton away was the first time I said “Moyes out”. I believe the next day or 2 he got sacked. Think we got beat 3-0? Can’t remember properly

stevoc

There was a picture of him running away from reporters, when he was just hired. Feck me. When you are a manager of Manchester United, you don't run away from those pack of rats. You confront and 'destroy' them. Go and eat them alive!!

Right then, I just knew we hired a small time manager.
Thats not how Moyes deals with the press, he wines and dines them. And feeds them information for favourable coverage.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
December, yeah I know I was 4 months late.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
There were a few brave souls who tried to warn the Caf that Dave was not fit to be our Manager in the days leading up to him being confirmed as our Manager and we got a great deal amount of stick for it.

Around December it was fairly obvious he was fecked.

finneh

Which one? The 3-2 at OT in late October (were we scrapped through) or I am guessing you mean the 2-1 in Feb of 14 when he played Rooney, RVP and Mata up top and we were sooo slow.
The 2-1 in February. I remember it like it was yesterday. His plan was clearly just to but his three biggest name players up front and watch the team stroll to victory. That was the moment when to me it was brutally clear that we basically had no manager. Just big name players who the manager isn't brave enough to pick between, because he knows that if we lost and one was on the bench he'd get criticised.

It was also the first time I'd watched United and just felt nothing when we lost. I was almost happy in that it was another step closer to the clueless fool being sacked. We'd just been knocked out of the League Cup, were no-where in the League and had zero chance of winning the CL. Hopefully I'll never again be torn between wanting United to lose in order to get the manager sacked, as it was an awful feeling.