g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

When does Mourinho's job come under threat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
What a terrible day it must be for you so far Twigg.

Minimalist

Well feck me, that car crash of a team is playing better than we could ever imagine. Great goals.

Oneunited26

The bigger question is, how long does the players have? because for a few years now have the blame laid fully on the managers doorstep, for me some of the players need to go than another manager change

Turnip

likes to be spanked with games consoles
The BBC had an interesting little bit here (scroll down to the "OK Jose" section), where if you rank managers over the last 2 seasons based on points per game, 4 of the ones who've had more than he has have been sacked already, by "lesser" teams too...

Stats don't tell the whole story, it's all relative. But I'm pretty sure he's had more to work with than any of them too.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The BBC had an interesting little bit here (scroll down to the "OK Jose" section), where if you rank managers over the last 2 seasons based on points per game, 4 of the ones who've had more than he has have been sacked already, by "lesser" teams too...

Stats don't tell the whole story, it's all relative. But I'm pretty sure he's had more to work with than any of them too.
He's been sacked too.

Yorkeontop

meonbottom
It should be top 4 or bust really. We were 5th last season, lost out on goal difference. I think he has more rope than that though. The thing about Jose is he sucks with young players and doesn't have the kind of approach to football we wish to see at United. He's only upside is winning and if he isn't doing that well enough to get us top 4 than what is there to hang our hats on.

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
It should be top 4 or bust really. We were 5th last season, lost out on goal difference. I think he has more rope than that though. The thing about Jose is he sucks with young players and doesn't have the kind of approach to football we wish to see at United. He's only upside is winning and if he isn't doing that well enough to get us top 4 than what is there to hang our hats on.
Top 4 or bust? Meaning he gets sacked?

There are a lot of caveats with this season, I think. Two main ones are; which direction club/team is going. How we are playing etc. The other is, who do you get when you sack Mourinho? There is nowhere to go in my opinion, unless, of course someone becomes available, but at the minute there is no one out there that can do a better job than Jose.

Edit: Just add, our approach at Man Utd has been never say die attitude, more so than attacking football in the past 15 years. So I think Mourinho fits that ethos perfectly. Besides when we did play our best football it was fast, direct and counter attacking football. Which is exactly the type of football Mourinho likes to play.

Not to mention Luciano Spalletti said this about us in our arguably most swashbuckling side in the past 40 years.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp....08/apr/02/sport.championsleague?client=safari

So what is our approach? I'd say we don't particularly having one except of having players that wanted to win at all costs once upon a time.

Last edited:

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
How long did we give Sir Alex?...

Long Ball

Jose will turn us around. Klopp was given a lot of patience. Maybe Jose needs to get back to his old charismatic self. Be cool like klopp or whatever and the world will love him

Stick by him. There is only Simeone left lol

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Jose will turn us around. Klopp was given a lot of patience. Maybe Jose needs to get back to his old charismatic self. Be cool like klopp or whatever and the world will love him

Stick by him. There is only Simeone left lol
Reflects the unimaginative nature of our club perfectly.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I assume he was Woodward's number one pick from the start so we might even stick to Special One longer than Chelsea did and try recreate some of that famous stability which gave the club global dominance in a first place.

Should that stop people from judging him by his results ? Of course not but this time I hope players won't have power to sack another manager because of their unphased attitude and pure football incompetence.

Long Ball

Reflects the unimaginative nature of our club perfectly.
Who else?

Tuchel?
Poch?

Remember united weren't great when sir Alex took over. He had to win the European cup with minnows Aberdeen to get the hot seat

Simone is the only current manager who fits that profile

RedMouse

Supports
Liverpool
Don't you just want him to cheer up and smile.

He's managing the biggest club in the world and getting paid £12million a year too do so. Do none of you feel that you work hard all week..switch the TV on and want to escape into this wonderful fantasy world of football but you get this sultry pissed off guy that clearly feels he's been hard done too by the world.

woodhouseparkred

As I said when I was in the newbies last week, the ceiling of expectation for David Moyes was a great deal lower simply because of where he managed before i.e. Preston North End and Everton. However, he was forced out which I didn't really like because I prefer to see a manager get at least a season. When Louis Van Gaal, that ceiling of expectation became even higher simply because of the previous successes he had with other great clubs and ours shouldn't have been an exception. However, it clearly was the exception and despite have a very good loss percentage with us (23.30%) (David Moyes and Jose Mourinho were at 29.41% up until the Swansea game), it seemed that we were slowly getting some rythym but somehow it just got boring. Ok, so it was boring, but it was providing us with some stability. However, in the end, he had to go so, yet again that made us an unstable club.

So, in comes Mourinho, a great manager with fantastic credentials who, throughout his mangerial career has a total percentage loss record of around 19% (I think) so, the ceiling of expectation has to be a great deal higher and the margin for error has to be minimal considering he is without doubt, the special one. At the end of the day, he has to make sure we win a trophy of some kind, most preferably the Europa League considering it could get us in to the Champions league. Top 4 is an absolute must given the quality of the manager too though there are a few clubs with a shout this year and it will be tighter than ever. The problem is that we could be out of the Europe League should we lose to Feyenoord in our next match so, it is a must-win match, just like the Arsenal game too.

Either way, just as I was prepared to get behind Atkinson, Sir Alex, David Moyes, Louis Van Gaal I am going to get behind José Mourinho just as we all should. We need that stability because if we aren't stable, who knows when we will become stable.

Jinn

I dont think his demeanour reflects his happiness of managing UTD. he is obviously aware of the media coverage he gets and is acting accordingly. Obviously he needs to behave in a certain way in front of the cameras so that he doesn't add fuel to the fire.

Creepy

Account relocated to MaxiPaxi
Don't you just want him to cheer up and smile.

He's managing the biggest club in the world and getting paid £12million a year too do so. Do none of you feel that you work hard all week..switch the TV on and want to escape into this wonderful fantasy world of football but you get this sultry pissed off guy that clearly feels he's been hard done too by the world.

What are you talking about? What's the correlation between earning a lot of money and being happy? I really don't get this! You do know people have problems in their lives regardless of their profession and pay scale. His dad by all accounts is in very poor health, that could be one of many reasons his demeanour is more somber. Furthermore, why would anyone want to see a grinning manager after the tough start we've had. Did you enjoy seeing David Moyes grinning like a clown after every game?

Reactions: Penna

TheSweeper

I dont think his demeanour reflects his happiness of managing UTD. he is obviously aware of the media coverage he gets and is acting accordingly. Obviously he needs to behave in a certain way in front of the cameras so that he doesn't add fuel to the fire.
Well his depressive face adds more fuel to the fire than anything else does. Absolute Misery.

TheSweeper

What are you talking about? What's the correlation between earning a lot of money and being happy? I really don't get this! You do know people have problems in their lives regardless of their profession and pay scale. His dad by all accounts is in very poor health, that could be one of many reasons his demeanour is more somber. Furthermore, why would anyone want to see a grinning manager after the tough start we've had. Did you enjoy seeing David Moyes grinning like a clown after every game?
Who said we want him to grin lilke a clown? The fact is he has been in 0ne state 0f mind since he started, never happy & nothing more than a handshake. We played well at the start the guy still looked miserable & this is far from just a somber demeanor it's a depressive 0ne.

Whilst you may say that the results & players caused his depressive state - there is nothing wrong with fans who Belive it to be the 0ther way around.

hobbers

With Moyes there was nothing in his history to suggest that he would have succeeded even with unlimited resources and unlimited time.

With Mourinho there is oodles of precedent to think that given time he will carve out some success. Pretty simple.

To answer the thread: his job isn't under threat until Ancelotti is a free agent again.

RedMouse

Supports
Liverpool
I'm not a Manchester United fan so David Moyes grinning didn't bother me either way.

He works in entertainment..his job is to entertain. That is achieved via good football and trophies. In the mean time a bit of positivity in your body language i would suggest works wonders for people viewing you.

I agree completely. 12mill or 12k if your dads sick then that's going to mess with your head. However if your job involves a public persona and a 12mill pay cheque then keep that too your self.

I feel you can't. Don't take the job and focus on looking after your dad.

What's he doing. He's made it clear that he misses his wife and kids. He's not best pleased with living in a hotel he prefers London and his farther isn't well...why is he trying to manage the biggest club on earth.

A bit of humility and just looking after is own health and that of his familiy would probably be a better choice

TheSweeper

With Moyes there was nothing in his history to suggest that he would have succeeded even with unlimited resources and unlimited time.

With Mourinho there is oodles of precedent to think that given time he will carve out some success. Pretty simple.

To answer the thread: his job isn't under threat until Ancelotti is a free agent again.
There's also the fact that Jose tends to win things straight 0ff the bat & is a manager who has needed less time that most. He actually tends to get worse as he goes along.

He is best at giving us instant success & a better manager than Pep at doing that. If we don't get it straight away; what makes you think time will be what we 0r he needs?

As I said, he gets worse with time & never better.

woodhouseparkred

I agree entirely with that statement @hobbers. At the end of the day, Moyes did his job to the best of his abilities i.e. midtable manager. So, our expectations were a great deal lower than they would be for someone like José Mourinho wouldn't they? If David Moyes had stayed one season, we still would have been midtable but what else did we expect as Manchester United fans? The only person who believed in David Moyes was Sir Alex, not us. So, to be honest, contrary to a few fans, I wasn't disappointed with regards to the results, since they were as I expected. However, from the point of view of watching José Mourinho (a world class manager) I am disappointed with the results because of who he is, what he has won and what he is capable of. If we don't win anything this season, then the fans do have that right to be somewhat disappointed considering his pedigree in the sport.

Updated to include the game against Swansea:

http://prntscr.com/d4pwub

He has nearly lost as many games as Dave Sexton for reference.

Edit:

His win percentage for the whole of his managerial career is 66% and his loss percentage is 14%. That is some record after 700+ matches too. He has somewhat doubled that in his 18 games here.

hobbers

There's also the fact that Jose tends to win things straight 0ff the bat & is a manager who has needed less time that most. He actually tends to get worse as he goes along.

He is best at giving us instant success & a better manager than Pep at doing that. If we don't get it straight away; what makes you think time will be what we 0r he needs?

He's worked for Abramovich, Moratti and Perez. It was never about getting better over time or building something.

Long Ball

He didn't set the world on fire in his first season on his 2nd Chelsea stint, but won the league the next season.

I think this will be true at united

AXVnee7

Didn't Jose win the title in his second season at Chelsea (both times), Madrid and Inter?

He should on that basis get better for us next season. It the third one we need to worry about

wolvored

He has feckin spent 150 million quid and we look worse than last season. No offence but that is not acceptable. So we give him another 150 million to spend next year and it's still not right we will be in a worse position. If he gets another season he should do it with no money to spend, the only money should be from sales.
VG got 2 seasons and spent 250 million, so why shouldnt a proven premiership winner get the same? The only way he might go is if we look as if we havent improved by the end of the season and we are lower than 5th in my opinion.

friend

His job will come under threat when he's been here for a considerable period of time and all indications are that the team will never consistently improve to reach the top levels in this league (ie. challenging for the league) without a significant change.

LVG was sacked for this precise reason, more so than just finishing 5th (and so was Moyes). The team had absolutely no stability to it in terms of game plan (other than the mind numbing possession, there was no clear attacking strategy to win a game), no where near a settled starting lineup, players bought who didn't seem to fit in his playing style and of course the countless reports of how players were complaining about the tactics/training (even if that had more to do with the media and the "whinging culture").

The same will hold for Mourinho as well. Let's not forget that at least two teams will finish outside the top 4 who have a squad/manager capable of easily being in there, perhaps even challenging for the title. The board have obviously gambled on him being able to shape up the team to his extremely successful philosophy. Needless to say, it will take probably two seasons before they can even be in a position to judge how things are shaping up (unless everything - not just results - is as bad as the Moyes stint).

RedMilo

Its far too early to talk about JoMo getting axed. He has my backing, and if as reported in the press, that attitude is a big problem then I will support him weeding out an player regardless of how good they are perceived to be, in order to achieve the greater team mentality needed to turn us into a force again.

Kag

I don't believe in sacking on the basis of league position, generally. However, I find it frustrating that we are currently well behind two rival teams we finished ahead of last season having bought some excellent players in the summer.

One of these teams - Chelsea - are doing this having also changed manager, having messed around in the transfer window and having had to adjust to an entirely new system.

Ultimately, the results have been nowhere near good enough and, in truth, neither have the performances. Instead, we're listening to lots of complaining that (from the outside) doesn't seem conducive to creating a good working atmosphere.

donkeyfish

LVG was sacked for this precise reason, more so than just finishing 5th (and so was Moyes). The team had absolutely no stability to it in terms of game plan (other than the mind numbing possession, there was no clear attacking strategy to win a game), no where near a settled starting lineup, players bought who didn't seem to fit in his playing style and of course the countless reports of how players were complaining about the tactics/training (even if that had more to do with the media and the "whinging culture").
A plan was arguably the only thing we had under LvG. Although I agree with your first paragraph, this second one is just words. Our plan didn't work, arguably it sucked, but we definitely had a clear attacking strategy.

We won the PL a few years ago by using 3x players. A settled starting line-up is not an unambigous argument for lack of performance

sunama

Baghdad Bob
His summer signings, other than Bailly, are looking like a complete waste of money so far. Hope I'm wrong about Pogba though.
Pogba is decent. Imagine if he were not playing for us - our midfield would be flat.
And although Ibra's finishing has been below average, his build up play has been excellent. Had he not been here we'd be relying on a teenager and a misfiring Martial.
Baily is great (when he isn't injured).

Status
Not open for further replies.