Who replaces Ten Hag?

Varun1

I've not watched a full game this year, just the odd 10mins on a few occasions, and I don't think I watched many games last year.

I'll come across as stupid, but I wish I could find my passion as a fan once again. I just cannot stand the same mistakes game after game, it's fine when it's coming from youngsters but to see our established players doing it just winds me up. I can remember in 1 of EtH's first few games, there was a stretch of 20 mins where I thought we'll finally turn the corner...

I really hope we sack EtH, and bring someone in who shows some passion & charisma. Even if we're not winning trophies, have a clear plan, control the game, or take a fecking risk and kick some of those idiots out of our club.

Jose, Ole & EtH have really killed it for me, especially the latter 2.

nazanto

With Nagelsmann no longer an option, it gotta be either Potter or Southgate isn't it? And somehow I got this tingling feeling it will be Southgate if we decide to sack ETH. feck me sideways :lol:

Tom Van Persie

No relation
With Nagelsmann no longer an option, it gotta be either Potter or Southgate isn't it? And somehow I got this tingling feeling it will be Southgate if we decide to sack ETH. feck me sideways :lol:
De Zerbi. I reckon he's the favourite.

doomy20

So Bayern acts quickly and secures Zidane.
We again suck, I‘d take over Potter or Southgate anytime

SER19

Not neccesarily - I think de Zerbi, Tuchel and Amorim would all be in contention should we look at replacing ten hag. For what its worth I wouldnt want either, but potter over southgate every time.

JeffFromHK

I don't get fans' obsession with De Zerbi,
he has achieved nothing in his career apart from a 6th finish with Brighton and now it is on the course of a 10th place finish, which the almighty David Moyes managed to outachieve this by helping Everton to get the 4th place at the mere age of 41 and then managed to get 6th, 5th and 5th in three consecutive seasons.
He has achieved nothing in Europe, occasionally outclassed by unbeknown managers, and his time in Shakhtar was nothing spectacular (decent but nothing stands out from his predecessors in Shakhtar) - at least ETH was the highest achiever in Ajax in the last 20 years

ThemanGiggsy

i mean he signed a new contract, but certainly that doesnt exclude him from being a candidate with us, right? players sign new contracts all the time, and then leave.

are there release clauses with managers?

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I don't get fans' obsession with De Zerbi,
he has achieved nothing in his career apart from a 6th finish with Brighton and now it is on the course of a 10th place finish, which the almighty David Moyes managed to outachieve this by helping Everton to get the 4th place at the mere age of 41 and then managed to get 6th, 5th and 5th in three consecutive seasons.
He has achieved nothing in Europe, occasionally outclassed by unbeknown managers, and his time in Shakhtar was nothing spectacular (decent but nothing stands out from his predecessors in Shakhtar) - at least ETH was the highest achiever in Ajax in the last 20 years
It's based on being able to get Brighton playing good football, and thinking that with our better resources and supposed better players he'll be able to take a step up.

I'm yet to be convinced he could handle it here but if our newly hired bods interview him and think he's got what it takes, then I'd be willing to wait and see what happens.

Velvet Revolver

I think we should go with either of these options below, with the perquisite of smart recruitment.

1-Someone like Carlo the eyebrow Ancelloti, setup an immediate style of winning and plan for succession ( Hoping Ineos have that in their plans). He is well respected and strong enough to not be run over by player power and politics.
2- Someone like Ange, and give him full control of footballing on the pitch and give him a 3 year plan to establish a style of play to get us consistently into top 2/3 and then push for titles.

Expecting the likes of De Zerbi and potter and others of the same ilk to take over united will only end in disaster in a couple of years. It's not that the managers don't have tactics but it's the fact the players we have don't have the ability or the focus to play in a setup that these managers can do. Add the constant pressure and media scrutiny and it will break even the smartest minds.

Look at the likes of managers from mid table teams that made the step up to the top 4 teams, every single one of them has struggled and had to be replaced by a 'strong man' to steady the ship. United is no exception.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
First of all, in a perfect world, we don't lose 7-0 to Liverpool

Secondly, it's not ten Hag's fault we conceded 7 that day.
Should have been fired a day after that match to send a strong message, also the players should have been held equally responsible for that shambolic performance...

JeffFromHK

It's based on being able to get Brighton playing good football, and thinking that with our better resources and supposed better players he'll be able to take a step up.

I'm yet to be convinced he could handle it here but if our newly hired bods interview him and think he's got what it takes, then I'd be willing to wait and see what happens.
this thinking was so similar to our thinking when we hired Moyes
"look he led Everton to 5th and 6th with the resources he had in Everton, with our better resources and players he will be able to take a step up"

JoeyJoJoJrShabadoo

I know McKenna would be an awesome hire but for me we need this current crop of talent to feck off before that would be a success. They openly mocked his training methods. Maybe that changed eventually, but I can't see it with this group

Teja

I know McKenna would be an awesome hire but for me we need this current crop of talent to feck off before that would be a success. They openly mocked his training methods. Maybe that changed eventually, but I can't see it with this group
He needs to prove himself step by step or his legitimacy will be questioned the moment there's a turn in form. Let him do well in the championship, take a job on like Brighton / Palace, do well there and maybe he'll be in contention for the United job afterwards.

You can't just start your first job setting the tactics for Man Utd.

"look he led Everton to 5th and 6th with the resources he had in Everton, with our better resources and players he will be able to take a step up"
That's just how football normally works. You didn't see Madrid and Bayern fighting to give Alonso the job as soon as he was a manager. He started off with Leverkusen, did well and obviously there's interest.

Sure Moyes didn't work but the thinking behind picking a PL proven manager who is doing well isn't wrong. It was wrong for other reasons and if I had to do a post-mortem of what went wrong it's that:

1. There was a big tactical shift happening at that point in time from old school 90s / 00s football to positional play. Our losses in the CL final to Barca should've been a clue to wake up and modernize.

2. The leadership at that time (Fergie + board) were old school and relied on one key man for a long long time without modernizing any of our structures. That worked until the key man was in charge but fell apart after he left.

3. We've had incompetent leadership at the helm afterwards and the owners / board did not view successive management failures (+ 100s of millions down the drain) as a sign to replace the execs with more competent people.

4. This is mostly because the owners are trust fund idiots who probably can't even name the full United first team.

So this whole De Zerbi will fail in the same way as Moyes I don't buy because we're fixing a bunch of the root causes of our failure finally.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

Should have been fired a day after that match to send a strong message, also the players should have been held equally responsible for that shambolic performance...
Yeah, make a decision on the managers' future based on results, emotions and to "send a message", instead of data and performances, like a well-run club.

"But, but, that's what Madrid would do" :lol:

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Actually no, no-one was keen on the football Moyes played with Everton, and the situations were almost entirely different.

soapythecat

Why is the Caf obsessed over these two names as the only alternatives? There are loads of good managers out there, the club needs to find them and assess suitability and availability.

Chairman Steve

I would give INEOS a medal for even managing to persuade old Zizou to take this role. I get the feeling he’s not really invested in teams that he doesn’t have an affiliation with from his playing career, much like most highly decorated players who become managers.

nazanto

Why is the Caf obsessed over these two names as the only alternatives? There are loads of good managers out there, the club needs to find them and assess suitability and availability.
I personally don't want either of them near us, especially Southgate because god forbid. But we haven't been linked with anyone other than those two, right? Amorim is linked with Liverpool, and I don't think Nagelsmann has been linked to any Premier League clubs, except some have mentioned Bayern being interested in bringing him back. Other than Nagelsmann, who is possibly the most exciting "prospect" out there, there don't seem to be many realistic options available, do we?

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.

Just double checked and whoever Loic Tanzi is, he is tier 2 reliability - same as Fabrizio Romano. Maybe there is some truth to it!
I know in the past GFFN has been good, that's why I thought it was reliable.

Gordon S

Wouldn’t mind Zidane!
Abel ferreira seems very highly rated in Brazil. Anyone here who has watched Palmeiras?

Lee565

Emery is first choice at the moment, he is not perfect but does well in Europe, has proven pedigree in proper leagues and has done well against the likes of city and arsenal

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
The journalist in question Loic also reports for RMC (which are tier 1).

@JPRouve Will know more about his reliability and these reports in general.
Loic Tanzi is reliable.
Lequipe is reliable but people online don't actually listen or read actual sources. For RMC and Lequipe, there are two type of contents, actual reports and then they both have talk shows where they discuss all sorts of topics whether they are based on ideas, solid sources or weak sources. In both cases they tell you what it is.